dbattman

Do you wear earplugs during the climb?

OK, so I am thinking I need to go purchase some good earplugs.

Where might I look for them?

Recommendations and why?

The foam plugs work pretty well, but I grew tired of compressing them to put them in my ears comfortably. I went to a drug store and bought a pair called: Flents They're light-blue flexible plastic with three clear "pull" points for removing them. They are very easy to put in, and remove and they reduce the noise level well, while not inhibiting me from talking with folks on the way to altitude. I highly recommend them.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Interesting to see this thread here today, as I had a young patient with very marked hearing loss come into the office. I overheard him talking to the receptionist who asked if he had ordered his hearing aids yet.

He said, 'no' as they cost $600 apiece and he didn't have the money!

Right then and there the message was driven home about protecting the ears. This was a young man. And he was having to shout just to hear himself talk!

Message heard (loud and clear),
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

OK, so I am thinking I need to go purchase some good earplugs. Where might I look for them?
Recommendations and why?

I like the yellow rubber earplugs that have a blue plastic cord connecting them. I loop them through the zipper pull on my jumpsuit and they are there when I need them. I found mine in the local hardware store in the section where they sell drills and other noisy tools.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

I don't wear them enough.
Reminds me of Buffalo Dave (jumpin buddy)...every load he was on- he offered everyone earplugs individually wrapped. Sweetie!

My son just got fitted with earplugs for his welding course at trade school. Cost $80. cnd. They are supposed to block out the loud zzz and you can hear normally otherwise.
Think I like the sound of those:P

Smiles;)

Are there any issues with the change in pressure on the climb, or for that matter the freefall? I can imagine if they are a tight fit and the air pocket reduces or increases too quickly you could do a lot more damage?

I am not sure how much the air pressure changes between ground and jump height, but aren't you not supposed to jump if you have a cold for this very reason?

My helmet provides enough hearing protection for the Twin Otter, Casa, Cessnas. I do wear them in a C-130, CH-47 (the loudest of them all), and aircraft that are obviously going to be loud.

However, the only residual health issue I have from 18.5 years in the Army working around airplanes is hearing loss. It's not bad, but noticeable.

John

Several years ago, an audiology study was performed on the climb to altitude and the freefall noise. The freefall noise exceeded the normal safe limits for exposure (>105dB). I have been wearing the foam earplugs for the majority (>95%) of my jumps. Age and other exposures not withstanding, they have helped me not lose more hearing than normal.

;)

Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Are there any issues with the change in pressure on the climb, or for that matter the freefall? I can imagine if they are a tight fit and the air pocket reduces or increases too quickly you could do a lot more damage?

I can't wear them in freefall for that very reason. Mine fit pretty snug and I scream in pain on the very rare occasions I wear them during freefall. The ride up isn't a problem because I can just take them out and clear my ear whenever they hurt.

W

I am not sure how much the air pressure changes between ground and jump height, but aren't you not supposed to jump if you have a cold for this very reason?

DEFINITELY!!! DO NOT USE EARPLUGS DURING FREEFALL UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY FOAMY.

Pressure equalization between both sides of the tympanus should not be hindered during the very rapid pressure changes ocurring during freefall because of the risk of timpanic perforation, not to mention pain...

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

So, at the begining of this thread I thought we were talking about the damaging noise from the airplane, but now you have me wondering if freefall noise is damaging?

I was planning on getting earplugs to wear in the plane and then taking them out before the jump. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks! Danielle

>I do not use them yet. The 182 do not seem to be too loud for me.
>But if it started to bother me I would.

If you don't use them the 182 will seem quieter and quieter, but then so will everything else. By the time you notice the damage it's too late.

So, at the begining of this thread I thought we were talking about the damaging noise from the airplane, but now you have me wondering if freefall noise is damaging?

I was planning on getting earplugs to wear in the plane and then taking them out before the jump. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks! Danielle

Your choice is perfect!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

>but now you have me wondering if freefall noise is damaging?

It is, but it's of much shorter duration so the cumulative damage isn't as bad.

>I was planning on getting earplugs to wear in the plane and then taking them
> out before the jump. What do you guys suggest?

That's probably safest. If you do use them in freefall:

1. make sure you can hear reasonably well with them in, in case someone yells at you after opening
2. make sure they don't seal too well, so air expansion/compression won't cause problems with your ears