eyeinthesky

skydiver statistics on using

most skydivers i see around the dz seem to be people who downright love life and dont seem to be into things like drinking/drugs/smoking/ etc.....i am curious about the percentages of us divers who do these things; nothing more than my own curiousity. thanks!

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

not really sure what doing any of those things has to do with 'loving life or not' i dont do many things because i dont like to, not because of any 'health' concerns

remember being healthy is simply dying at the slowest possible rate...

eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you could hook in...

not really sure what doing any of those things has to do with 'loving life or not' i dont do many things because i dont like to, not because of any 'health' concerns

I'm right there with you. I don't smoke cigarettes (even though I'm familiar with the pleasure smoking can offer) because they taste like shit to me, not because I fear for my health. And if I drink, I usually don't get piss-drunk, not because I have any concerns about my liver or brain cells, but because that standing-up-falling-down-barfing-all-over-the-place state of being is just no fun to me.
As for loving life, I think it's more about trying to enjoy every day of it, rather than trying to make it last as long as possible. (I remember a pro-smoking argument I read once; "So if you smoke, remember that each cigarette shortens your life by about four minutes. So if you smoke a pack per day your whole life, you'll lose about four years of quality time you could otherwise spend in a nursing home.":P)

most skydivers i see around the dz seem to be people who downright love life and dont seem to be into things like drinking/drugs/smoking/ etc.....i am curious about the percentages of us divers who do these things; nothing more than my own curiousity. thanks!

I tried it. It didn't agree with me.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Heavy drinking and moderate drug use was big part of the skydiving scene back when I started in the 1970s.
I eventually quit drinking when the hangovers started interferring with doing tandems. I am a far more pleasant person when I am not hungover.

My impression is that skydivers are risk-takers and smoke, drink, toke, etc. more than the general population.

My impression is that skydivers are risk-takers and smoke, drink, toke, etc. more than the general population.

My impression also. However, I would like to state on a public forum on the internet that I don't do any of those things. Anyone want to step and state on the internet that they do? :D

My impression also. However, I would like to state on a public forum on the internet that I don't do any of those things. Anyone want to step and state on the internet that they do? :D

Sure.
I smoke, I drink to moderation if I'm not driving or jumping, and do not use anything else.
(I won't stop breathing if people around me are smoking anything other than straight tobacco. But I might take a walk.)
But I'm not in the USA. B|
Johan.
I am. I think.

No, but I will state I know plenty of people that do. I've never been to a DZ where when the beer light went on there wasn't a rush to the keg.

I smoke too but I think it interferes with skyudiving and would love to quit. I'm starting to think I'm addicted though.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

A statement on the internet,,, is no different than something printed in a newspaper... The only thing about it,,, which you can be certain is TRUE,,, is that "someone made the statement" or "someone
reported the statement," "someone printed it", and "someone read it.' :|, as to the validity
ya' never know...;);).....I never believed half of what was printed in our history books.[:/]..
.as for your question.....Sure. :)

Heavy drinking and moderate drug use was big part of the skydiving scene back when I started in the 1970s.
Drug use seemed to be much more prevalent during the 70's. I remember going to some jump parties where very little alcohol was seen and almost everyone was smoking dope. Being your basic red neck I didn't fit in well, but these were my jump buddies and I went to some of the parties anyway. Steve1

Mabe I'm wrong, but does seem that skydivers are more likely to have addictive personalities than the rest of the population. However, I've met a few skydivers who know they have that problem, and skydiving in a sense has taken the place of other addictions, and they don't smoke/drink/toke at all. Basically, they seem more aware and on top of things.

Of course, we all know how most skydivers like to drink....
We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

Mabe I'm wrong, but does seem that skydivers are more likely to have addictive personalities than the rest of the population. However, I've met a few skydivers who know they have that problem, and skydiving in a sense has taken the place of other addictions.
I think this is very true. I've never had an addiction to drugs or alcohol, but I have developed an obsession of sorts with some sports. Presently it's skydiving. I've read some psychological explanations for this. Interesting stuff. Steve1

At our DZ most of them drink at the end of the day, about a third of them smoke. Myself I do not smoke never have never will, and I will drink on occasion, maybe once or twice a month. Just not a big deal to me.

--Sam--
Let go of the NUT!!

I'd be both a pretty boring guy, and pretty bored when hanging out at the dz, if I wasn't drinking at least moderately... The problem is being drunk sort of seems to creep up on me... Sometimes I leave or get busy with something else simply to keep from drinking too much to drive home... Unfortunately, for me at least, it's tough to stop after 2 beers... So I go home and have 4 or 5...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone