Talldarknkiwi

Gym training for skydiving,base jumping and wingsuiting.

The basics are important- being generally fit...cardio, core etc.

I actually do a lot of exercises specific to my discipline (video). I do a lot of pull ups, straight hanging, grip strength exercises on top of my general cardo/weight mix.

Cardio is more important than you think for jumping. Esp. if you are doing back to backs or otherwise rushing in and out on hot days.

I don't wingsuit, but I'd thing weighs and flexibility for your upper body would be helpful. Upper body with pullups and such would seem to be good for BASE....since it often has a bit of climbing involved.

Thinking back to when I was learning to skydive (I assume you are just getting started), I'd say I generally had muscle soreness in my shoulders, and upper core. Sometimes still get it a bit when I jump a lot in one day.

There is a lot of force to be resisted when your arms are extended out into a 130 mph wind. (It's 4 times the forces you experience if you stick your arm out of a car window doing 65 mph). So IMO exercises that strenthen your shoulder muscles, upper chest and back, and neck are would be beneficial. And if you've ever had a dislocated shoulder, really strenthen the shoulder region; a dislocated shoulder in free fall is not a good thing. :o

NorrinRadd

***Work your core (abs, back, obliques)

Seconded.

Ditto,...

I would add some yoga for injury protection. If your flexable you can take the unexpected hit and are more likely to walk away from it....

Great question!

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Talldarknkiwi

Hey all.

Need help wana get in peak physical condition for all of the above.

where do start in the gym?

I do abs, lower back, and squats...good thing about squats is that chicks love the toned legs and butt. But if anything, your abs and lower back would be a good fucus since it's isolating your core.

Also, believe it or not yoga works too...i know, it's not the cool thing to do but it helps with flexibility. It helps so much i can almost touch my wang with my nose, no joke.

The 5 basic barbell exercises: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows and Standing Overhead Press

Google "Bill Starr 5x5 routine" for a basic/intermediate workout plan

Yoga for flexibility and strength

And cardio

I hate cardio so I don't do that but I do the rest.

A lot of gymnasics gyms (who cater mostly to kids) have "open gym nights" for adults. Check them out and ask for basic tumbling classes. They teach the basics of rotation, twisting, landing, etc.

Trampoline and pit experience come in handy in any sport. B|

... a former gymnast?

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

join a climbing gym.....
dont waste time with dumbells.
use your own body weight.
give it a try, you will be amazed at how sore you will be after only one hour.
this type of exercise ecovers everything:
core, arms, shoulders, back, abs, stamina, grip strength. everything!
it is also mentally challenging, which is allot more fun than "pumping iron"
dont waste your time at a meathead market.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

join a climbing gym.....
dont waste time with dumbells.
use your own body weight.
give it a try, you will be amazed at how sore you will be after only one hour.
this type of exercise ecovers everything:
core, arms, shoulders, back, abs, stamina, grip strength. everything!
it is also mentally challenging, which is allot more fun than "pumping iron"
dont waste your time at a meathead market.

LOL Meathead market! I like how most guys at the gym go there with no goal in mind but just to bulk up for their own self esteem.

Skydiving:

Freefall: Yoga, Lower back, Core, Flexibility

Canopy: Yoga, Shoulders, Back, Arms

Tandem: Yoga, Arms, Shoulders, Legs, Cardio, Flexibility

Base jumping: Yoga, Core, Legs, Cardio, Flexibility

(A lot of people forget that to jump off of a mountain, you generally have to climb up it:P legs and cardio will be a HUGE help).

Wingsuiting: Yoga, Core, Arms, Shoulders, Flexibility

:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

DcloudZ

Skydiving:

Freefall: Yoga, Lower back, Core, Flexibility

Canopy: Yoga, Shoulders, Back, Arms

Tandem: Yoga, Arms, Shoulders, Legs, Cardio, Flexibility

Base jumping: Yoga, Core, Legs, Cardio, Flexibility

(A lot of people forget that to jump off of a mountain, you generally have to climb up it:P legs and cardio will be a HUGE help).

Wingsuiting: Yoga, Core, Arms, Shoulders, Flexibility

:)

I swear by my P90X/P90X2 yoga.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

brucet7

Core work will help with stability and moving in freefall.
Cardio work will help with walking to the trailer and packing.

Core / yoga will do wonders for you also on awkward / off landings too.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am new and had work on relaxing and my arch. Also I am in pretty good shape already as I lift, do martial arts, box, run, etc...

Even so (and maybe because of my little bit larger upper body) I had trouble with feeling relaxed (my lats would tense up as soon as my scapulas came together) and natural in my arch (box man) neutral position. I would basically turn a lot without much control.

I found two things that really helped me besides practice, visualization, and relaxing.

One was back extensions. Like on this machine: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_extension

I stretch my lower back out on it. Do some actual back extensions (first to a neutral position then to an arch). Afterwards I practice skydive flow on it visualizing and even saying some if it out loud. Gotten some weird looks at the gym when I "wave off and pull" but who cares.

After a couple weeks my lower back is much stronger but also more loose. Obviously exercises like dead lifts, etc. help too but this are more advance so be careful if you haven't lifted weights before. Squats are awesome too.

The other thing that has helped is practicing my arch and general skydive flow in the pool. Just in five or six feet if water. Take a deep breath, arms back, fall into it and arch. Helped my form and strength of some of those smaller, lesser used muscles. Swimming too.

Hmm, today is cloudy here I think I'll head to the pool!
Chance favors the prepared mind.