bdev

Line overs..

Hook'n'swoops post on hard decks raised a question with me...he mentions trying to fix a line-over mal.

Firstly, I didn't know it was possible! (me still a newbie) - I had a line-over mal on jump 24 though, and there was no way at the time I was going to consider fixing it, hell I wasn't even sure what it was when I first saw it!

So, the question....Is a line-over mal something you should try to fix first (altitude allowing obviously) - is it worth trying to fix / how would you try to fix - or should you just chop and go?

The thought of fighting with lines under a spinning canopy isn't too appealing!
---
One life...Use it.

i looked at your profile, and with my limited experience i'll say you did the right thing for where you are right now. later in the upcoming years this sort of decision will be second nature. so when/if you ever decide to jump a high wing and an elipitical in the next 2-3 years and after 300-400 more jumps your pull altitude will be getting lower and elipitical canopies are not very forgiving. line overs can be cleared some of the time, but you said it right...."Altitude Permitting" this is the key factor. i've had one line over mal, i got lucky and cleared it, i was going to give it one try, it worked out so everything was cool, but i already knew what i was going to do (because of prior planning) if it didn't clear. what i do is visualize what each and every mal i know about looks like, feels like and i constantly do practice handle touches before boarding the jumpship, and i'm anal about my gear. in my mind, this keeps me sharp before i jump out of the aircraft. plan your dive, dive your plan, leave room for error and always have a backup plan, never give up. when you experience any type of mal, try once, try twice, then it's time for plan "B". i know there are others out there with more experience that can give you more insight, but this is my offering. Derek, and Chuck along with a hosts of others with thousands of jumps can surely be consulted in these forums.

you sound as if you have a good head on your shoulders, continue your vigilence. stay safe and have fun!

Blue Skies, Hot Days! :)
Edit:

why is your profile so vague? enlighten me if you would. UK? e-mail at "corelabs?"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Yeah, I'm comfortable that I made the right decision at the time. The way I see it, a first mal is kinda like AFF jump 1...you've gotta take in all this new information quickly and do something - at least resort to your drilled procedures.

I know now that if I had another line-over, I'd be in a better situation to recognise and maybe do something to fix it, rather than just thinking 'what the hell is that! -and chopping'

So how do you go about fixing it? do you pull the offending line ?

Dave.

Oh, yeah, UK...the profile is vague cos I haven't got a rig or anything yet!
---
One life...Use it.

I've heard sometimes you can flare the rear risers or the brakes (or both) and the line will "slide" off. But probably for people like us who dont have that many jumps the best thing to do is recognize a potentionally fatal situation and do what we were trained to do, cutaway and pull reserve.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Had a lineover this morning on tandem. I tried to clear it by flaring(has worked for me before.) This caused an otherwise tame malfunction to turn into a violent,spinning one in a big hurry. So, yes some times it is possible to clear a line over, but you also run the risk of making a bad situation worse.
Jeff

But probably for people like us who dont have that many jumps the best thing to do is recognize a potentionally fatal situation and do what we were trained to do, cutaway and pull reserve.

I have plenty of jumps, and although i know a line over can often be cleared, I'd bet you dollars to donuts I'll just cut that crap away if i ever have one.

My first mal was also a line over on jump 32, Fortunately I had alot of altitude because it took me quite some time to realise that it was a line over... I tried to flare it out..nothing.

So the drill followed. I was fortunate that it was a slow mal rather than the high speed mals or I would have been in serious trouble!!:(

After a whole lot of beers and a private note to self...being so inexperienced rather chop than wait especially if ur loosing altitude:P

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

My second Mal on jump 210 was a line over, it was on a Sabre 170 loaded at something like 1.5:1. Deployed at 2500ft after a 30-way. There was no way I was staying with that one. looked up and saw the ground then the tail of the canopy, my feet were above the horizon. It never even crossed my mind to try and clear it.

Hook'n'swoops post on hard decks raised a question with me...he mentions trying to fix a line-over mal.

Firstly, I didn't know it was possible! (me still a newbie) - I had a line-over mal on jump 24 though, and there was no way at the time I was going to consider fixing it, hell I wasn't even sure what it was when I first saw it!

So, the question....Is a line-over mal something you should try to fix first (altitude allowing obviously) - is it worth trying to fix / how would you try to fix - or should you just chop and go?

The thought of fighting with lines under a spinning canopy isn't too appealing!

With a lineover, often it will go pretty close to straight ahead until you clear the brakes. Then you can expect to be spinning wildly on your back.

This season I have had two lineovers (yeah, I've modified the offending portion of my packing technique). The first was on an elliptical loaded less than 1.2:1, and I cleared it by pulling down the rear riser on the offending side. It just popped out and flew fine.

The second was on a cross-braced canopy loaded over 2:1, and it was a solid bowtie. Rather than find out how it would behave if I pissed it off further, I chopped it.

In both cases the canopy had a mild turn, but I emphasize DO NOT CLEAR THE BRAKES until you have cleared the malfunction. I assure you that it is much more pleasant to cut away when in relatively normal flight under a canopy you'd just rather not land than it is to sort things out from a violently spinning malfunction. Kicking out of four line twists under a reserve is not my idea of a good time.

Blue skies,

Winsor