bergh

PISA

Hi ppl

I was just wondering where everybody got the
news that PISA is join some other company ??

I live in SA and most people at my DZ jump
Hornets and Heatwave's. I would have thought
that the South African people would be the first
to know ?:S

So much for that thought

No of us knew about PISA's change of status until the start of the PIA Symposium.
PISA was absorbed by the new Aerodyne International corporation. which now has three divisions: African, European and American.
PISA will sew all the parachutes and sell to the African and Indian Ocean markets.
A group of designers and marketeers - who used to work for Parachutes de France - head the European branch of Aerodyne.
Finally, the head office - along with sales to North and South America - is in the USA and run by Ian Bellis. Ian used to head marketing at Performance Designs.

The only old PISA product that will remain in production is the Triathlon. Technically, the Triathlon was designed and marketed by the old American version of Aerodyne, but all the canopies were sewn by PISA. Too bad, because we have dozens of PISA Tempo, Hornet and Skymaster canopies on our DZ. They fly great and the price was right. Unfortunately, the New Aerodyne plans to raise all their prices to American levels.

Aerodyne's French branch has designed a new series of canopies and a harness/container that looks an awful lot like Parachutes de France's ATOM. During the PIA Symposium I attended a lecture about packing Aerodyne's new Icon harness/container and it seems to have only minor changes from Atoms. The greatest difference is a new middle ring on the 3-ring system. Since the TSO paperwork is still in the FAA mill, it will be a few weeks yet before anyone outside the factory can jump it.

Aerodyne's new canopies range from a mild student canopy to a wild blade-running canopy. They are also introducing a new reserve and tandem main.

It looks like good gear. Too bad they have decided to proce it for Americans, that leaves thousands of Canadian skydivers out in the cold.

So the hornet is out of production :o
I haven't even jumped mine yet...
They are rising their prices to american levels :(
Good thing I've already bought and payed my Hornet.

This was sad new...[:/]

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I was considering a NEW PISA canopy direct from SA on the basis of affordability. Sad to say but the US/C$ relationship makes most US canopies $3k landed and taxed at my door. That's just dumb and not terribly affordable.

I suspect I'll wind up buying used from within Canada if this "international collusion" pulls away one of the few loopholes left to us Northerners. Oh well... I bet our thoughts weren't even on the radar screen when this was all considered. It's also the same realon I'll likely buy a new Sidewinder (Cdn mfg) and not a Voodoo/Javelin/Etc... Can a "Made in USA" tag really be worth a 60 percent cost premium?

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I'm pretty happy that I snuck under the wire with my Hornet. I love how it flies and the color-coded line attachment points are great for a somewhat nervous packer. :) I'm not to worried about resale because I plan on putting lots of jumps on this canopy. I'm stoked that I have something new and custom for about the price of somthing else used!

riggerrob,

Do you have any dates for this transition. I am on the verge of buying a Hornet, I spoke with someone 5 minutes ago at Para-Service (Rigs and Things). They are running an awesome deal on Hornets this month and I was going snag one. According to him, he ordered 3 hornets today and knew nothing of a discontinued line.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I talked to him the other day about a heatwave too. same thing.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Yeah, I emailed them too. But as long as Para Service can get them...maybe I should hurry and order :)
Still interested in definitive proof as to when the Hornet will be unavailable. ALso, anyone thought what this might do for customer service regarding the canopy?

--

I am cross posting this to a new thread in Talkback. Yesterday, I emailed PISA with the following. The reason for this is that Para-Service said they knew nothing about Hornets being discontinued and had ordered some that day.

Hi,

I am on the verge of being a Horney canopy, due to all of the terrific things I have heard. I am wondering how much longer they will be available? I have been told that with the merger to Aerodyne, they will not longer be available as the same canopy/same prices. Do you have any details on this? Thank you.

Malachi Russler
Texas, USA

They replied with:

Hi Malachi ,

I've got a major Dealer in the U.S.A. who has HORNETs in stock in a variety of sizes and attractive color patterns ready to ship at once.

Please contact Western Parachute Sales

Call Ralph
Tel : (503) 630 - 5867
[email protected]

Thanks and Blue Skies
NED

So other than a sales pitch for a distributor, how does this help me? Does anyone else have any more info?
--

It looks like you can no longer order new custom Hornets/Heatwaves. PISA and their canopies are a thing of the past. Aerodyne has the new canopies and PISA is no more.

Places that still have them in stock might be able to get you something close to what you want.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well guys the only thing that I can say is that two days in a row I have talked with Rigs and Things and both days he has assured me that he continues to get and place orders for custom Hornet canopies and has not had one turned down yet, and no word of them being discontinued. It might happen eventually, but I dont see it happening quite yet. Unless....Rigs and Things is not everything that I have heard them to be.... ?
--

A guy on my home DZ just ordered a new custom Hornet 170 last week. So I guess for the time being you can still get them.

I ordered a custom one 5 days ago from Icarus Sky sports in SA, nothiong was mentioned then
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have just spoken to Dave the SA sales person. I must say from what he has told me a sound like PISA and Aerodyne have made the right choice.

the right choice for WHO?!?!? >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Unfortunately, the New Aerodyne plans to raise all their prices to American levels.

Let me get this straight... we can no longer (or soon wont be able to) buy hornets, heatwaves, Tempos etc. if we want a reasonably priced new canopy? Now we have to pony up $500+ MORE for a canopy now? Greeeaaaat.

I love how they take a perfectly good, little known (to the US) canopy that is priced affordably, and stop producing it so as to remove the low end competition from the market.

I personally liked being able to get a great ZP canopy for a reasonable price. I guess that isnt possible anymore.

Sounds like the microsoft approach. Lower priced competition cutting into your margins? Just buy the company, absorb the product and remove it from the market. Reintroduce a similar product of the same (or sometimes less) quality for a higher price.

Its a good choice??? I challenge you to find someone that owns a hornet that doesnt like it. I have run into quite a few, and none had anthing but good things to say. Me included.

Yeah, its a good choice. For the manufacturers.
Screw the consumer!

/rant

Edit to add: If they can show me comperably priced (to the old line) like quality canopies, I'll change my tune.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

I'd be bummed, but I already got my Hornet. Still, it is pretty weak. I wish Aerodyne had decided to take advantage of exchange rates and undercut the competition a bit. However, if their reserve turns out to be well-liked, I might switch to one from my Tempo when I get a new container.

I got this in the 'overnight' email from South Africa.

Dear Malachi ,

The HORNET Range of Main canopies is being phased out now in favor of Aerodyne Brands.

Your best bet now is to CALL RALPH !

Blue Skies
NED

Using the word phased and what we heard from others, I am thinking that it is a get them while they are hot type of thing, agreeing with bergh. Who knows when they will actually be gone. I like the sales pitch once again, I guess they really like Ralph.
--

Official Email from PISA to all skydivers....

Hi skydivers

I'm sure a few of you have been hearing 'strange' reports about something happening at PISA... yes, there is something happening, not only at PISA, but in Europe and the USA as well.
A new force in the parachute industry has finally formed. A joint venture involving several internationally recognised professionals in the skydiving / parachuting industry has been established, and this new group looks set to be the most exciting development our industry has ever seen... it's called AERODYNE INTERNATIONAL, and we have a vision for the future, but more importantly, the resources and technology to make this vision a reality.

Aerodyne International is made up of the following key Hubs:

Aerodyne Research (USA) managed by Ian Bellis, formerly of Performance Designs
Aerodyne Technologies (EUROPE) managed by Dominique Marcu, formerly of Parachutes de France
Aerodyne Systems (AFRICA) managed by Chris Gill, previously PISA
(Aerodyne Manufacturing (MAURITIUS) managed by Serge Bonnet, formerly of Flying Planet Paragliders.)

This new company has brought together individuals with decades of industry and technical expertise between them, in every area - and all employed at the highest levels by some of the worlds leading parachute manufacturers, and as such we have created a brand new product line which we will provide to the skydiving (and paragliding) communities, coupled with an international customer sales and support system that has never before been seen in this industry. More about this later...

To give you an idea of what is on offer - a full range of main parachutes, a new reserve parachute, a new harness / container system, a new 3 ring system etc... All these products are detailed on our new website, www.aerodyne-int.com

Please have a look at the site, read through the information and if anyone has any queries or wants further info, please contact me.

As far as PISA products go, unfortunately they will be discontinued from the end of this week, and Aerodyne's new products will be available for test jumping and sale from March 2003.
This change does not in any way affect the backup service of PISA products - for as long as there are PISA canopies and harnesses in service, the backup will always be provided by the factory for line trims, repairs, relines etc... as per normal.

Skydiving has and always will be an extremely progressive sport, and as a leading manufacturer, we have committed to becoming just as progressive as the sport itself, which is why we have made this bold move. The positives involved here far outweigh any negatives, and you the skydiver can only benefit from this as well...

Thats the news for now.

I will send out another email soon with more details, especially about the new products and where & how you will be able to test jump them, as they will be available very soon.

Blue skies
Dave Macrae

*****************************************************************************************************
Parachute Industries of Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd
Dave Macrae - Sports Marketing, PISA
PO Box 1616, Verulam, 4340, South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)32 5330333
Fax: +27 (0)32 5330262
Cell: +27 (0)82 3399964
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]
Web: www.pisa.co.za
*****************************************************************************************************