narcimund

"CF" or "CRW"?

I must have missed something, but for many years people used the term CRW. Now suddenly there's a new acronym showing up. Where did this "CF" thing come from and why? Was there something wrong with CRW? Did it offend some minority group? Was it too long?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

"It was changed"? By who? Who claims the right to enforce proscriptive nomenclature on a sport and a community?

It takes more than some self-righteous do-gooder handing down from his throne new acronyms for everyone's good. "FS" my ass! People call it "arr-dub" everywhere I jump and I don't see any reason to change it. "CF" adds approximately nothing to whuffos' understanding and why do we care about whuffos anyway?

"RW" and "CRW" have become words through their pronunciation as words, and that's far more alive and interesting than acronyms.

There. I've had my disgruntled old-man language moment. Thanks for listening.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Since you fell so strongly about it::ph34r:

It's not like its news... The subject has been briefly discussed here.

As to who changed it, it must've been the IPC, since they are the source of the official rules. It had been changed in 1997, that was the oldest document I found on their website.

I've always jumped FS(and not RW), but that's probably because I've only jumped since '98, and competed in 4-way FS since '01. Older jumpers call it RW here as well.

Some years back, somebody decided to CF was more descriptive. Fine by me. Personally, I do CRW.

Michael

I must have missed something, but for many years people used the term CRW. Now suddenly there's a new acronym showing up. Where did this "CF" thing come from and why? Was there something wrong with CRW? Did it offend some minority group? Was it too long?

The change (CRW and RW to CF and FS) was made by the IPC several years ago as the "official" names for these disciplines in international competition.

Now - How many out there are old enough to remember when a "4-way star" used to be "4-man star?" Not me, but old timers have told me it changed because women in the sport objected to the old term. Any confirmation on that?

Chris

People call it "arr-dub" everywhere

well except for the freaks, we just point and call you flats ;)

:P And the CRW dogs look at all of us and say "low pullers!"

I was on a hybrid jump yesterday and one of the ladies visiting from out of town was commenting, "Wow, great exit for a freeflyer! I'm impressed." We all got a good chuckle out of that. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And the CRW dogs look at all of us and say "low pullers!"

Actually, I've done 6 CRW jumps at Perris now (and have been called a CRW pup, a CRWton, and a CRW slut) and they actually yell at everyone else, "F*** the freefallers!" :)
We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

And the CRW dogs look at all of us and say "low pullers!"

Actually, I've done 6 CRW jumps at Perris now (and have been called a CRW pup, a CRWton, and a CRW slut) and they actually yell at everyone else, "F*** the freefallers!" :)

heard that a few times from the back of the otter at Eloy too ;)

When I started all I use to hear was

"PASS THE BA-TON, MAN! PASS THE BATON!!!"
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Well according to CNBC those amazing CRW dogs in Polynesia were doing "Formation Skydiving" :S:S

other than than is was a really cool segment..nice 5 stack with a downplane on the bottom ?