Islandcool

Going broke fast...

Ok so I've done 26 jumps in 5 weeks. I bought a rig after my 6th jump. (it was a deal I couldn't pass up) I've bought an altimeter. Still need a helmet, goggles, jumpsuit and some packing lessons. I just shut off my cable to save $60 a month (3.3 more jumps amonth) Never home anyway. My budget now converts savings into how many more times I can jump and what equipment can I buy. From what I read I have a feeling this is normal...lol. Today I asked my boss to re-evaluate my salary and consider giving me a raise. That is not a joke by the way. So any suggestions on how to make a little side money help pad the expense. Hell I would cut the grass at the DZ with a push mower at this point. I swear if my parent lived here I would move back home so I wouldn't have to pay rent! LOL

Ed

One word: pack. Learn to pack. Easiest and fastest way to get money by doing something skydiving related. That's what me and my newbie friends are trying to do. Make sure you get to know the DZO and ask him if there are any skills you possess that may be of use to him (also known as a job;)). This puts you at a weekend job, but if it's fun, who cares, right? It probably won't pay for the jumping completely, but it can go a long way in covering cost.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Welcome to the Hotel California...you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave (Nod to the Eagles)

We've got your disease, Ed (Nod to Mr. A. Rose & co.). I'm only a year and a bit ahead of you in a seasonal DZ - I feel your pain. Ask me about my now-larger mortgage ;), and loss of whuffo-"friends". You'll be fine.

Gear and your first license are major milestones, both financially and emotionally. As for cash, get on packing staff status ASAP in trade for jump tix to start. Hanging around and working on the DZ - even if you're not jumping much - you will learn TONS of stuff. The regulars will admire your deedication because it will remind them of when THEY had just started on the Quest for the Holy Skydive (Neeh!)

Are you a competent Brewmaster? Skydivers LOOOOVE good beer. If your homebrew can withstand a blind tasting perhaps you can barter for jumptix?

Cook? Bring your BBQ and do a big 'ol roast for "cost + a jump or 2" so long as you're not cutting into the DZO's bit - and if you are (or would) ask to work for them.

Postwhore for profit?:P

...Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Welcome to the Hotel California...you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave

Good god ... ain't that the truth. ;)

To quote Tom Berringer in the movie Cutaway, "who would choose such a life". :S But I'm loving it. B|

Even though I'm not in your boat (yet), to the fellow who started this thread, learn how to pack and become a part time packer at your DZ.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Ok so I've done 26 jumps in 5 weeks. I bought a rig after my 6th jump. (it was a deal I couldn't pass up) I've bought an altimeter. Still need a helmet, goggles, jumpsuit and some packing lessons. I just shut off my cable to save $60 a month (3.3 more jumps amonth) Never home anyway. My budget now converts savings into how many more times I can jump and what equipment can I buy. From what I read I have a feeling this is normal...lol. Today I asked my boss to re-evaluate my salary and consider giving me a raise. That is not a joke by the way. So any suggestions on how to make a little side money help pad the expense. Hell I would cut the grass at the DZ with a push mower at this point. I swear if my parent lived here I would move back home so I wouldn't have to pay rent! LOL

Ed

It seems that you have the soul and the energy of a skydiver :o good for you... :) " haha.
It is good if you can spend less,,, day to day,, and your canceling of the cable is smart..(as long as you have some jumping videos to watch......).. But More impressive is your confidence to request your raise....Good for you...
We must sometimes be forceful without being pushy.
So good luck... The other responses here are right on..B|;).. excellent suggestions...Find a niche at the DZ
and then fill it...otherwise....budget your jumps,,, but while on the ground be doing your best to learn,, to listen, to watch, to dirt dive,, to log your jumps, to debrief... etc..... 2 or 3 well thought out, and satisfying jumps in a day,,,, can often be better than blasting out 7 or 8
which can blend into one another,,,,,,
and and wear you out,,,[:/], at least financially..[:/]
Now all you have to do,, Is find someone elses' ....
"parents" .. who would let you live with them.....hahahahaha;):)