dropdeded

Advice or Suggestions Welcome

Im going to discuss this with an instructor at the dz before hand but there is such a gold mine of info and advice here, I thought I'd throw this out here.

Last week I did jump #27, after 11 months on the ground. I had several recurrency jumps during the first 26(#26,low turn, broken leg) and I am doing 2, maybe 3 solo's tomorrow.
I really want to get as much out of these jumps tomorrow as far as some tracking and canopy control.
I jumped with a 280 last week(recurrency dive) and I may use the same tomorrow. I have never downsized. Im just getting back into the sport, actually just beginning as far as any kind of progression.
Any suggestions on what I should concentrate on doing for these dives?

Any comments appreciated

*edit*- moved from general discussion:|

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Heya, Ed! Great to hear this news. Man, been a long time coming! Welcome home!!

really want to get as much out of these jumps tomorrow as far as some tracking and canopy control.

How about one of those jumps being a hi clear and pull? Out the door, get stable, and pull? Then really work the canopy - 360s, flats, flare points, stalls, etc...really push that canopy around the sky?

And then on another one, just work tracking, nothing else. Track position, heading control, etc...track one way and count to 10, check alti, track back, same deal counting, checking alti...

Have a ball tomorrow! Wish I could be doing the same...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I disagree with the "work on one thing" sentiment. This is your first skydive back, it's going to be great just to be up in the air again, I know I'd want to sample as much as possible!!!! Why not cram as much into the skydive as possible? Exit doing some backflips, track for a few seconds, while pulling some barrel rolls, pop into a sit, some front flips etc, and then once you've pulled work the canopy out and concentrate on slipping back into a smooth and safe landing pattern. That'd be fun? :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm with the "1 thing" crowd, but maybe 2 or so.

Plan your dive -- "I'll do 180 degree turns, set up heading towards (field, runway, whatever), open at 3500, land in X"

Then practice that on the creeper, and discuss it with a coach or jumpmaster. Do everything slowly. Especially the practicing. The slower you practice, and the more you think about the little things that go along with it, the smoother it'll be.

Example: turns. You can think of which way you want to turn. Bend your body. Think about each arm, and each leg -- where do you want them to be. Then your torso, then your head. Then take them back to neutral.

You'll get a huge amount out of it that way. And in the long run you'll be more relaxed, because you'll have already thought about a lot of what's going to happen.

And have a great jump -- I'm so glad to see your knees in the breeze again.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I disagree with the "work on one thing" sentiment. This is your first skydive back, it's going to be great just to be up in the air again, I know I'd want to sample as much as possible!!!! Why not cram as much into the skydive as possible? Exit doing some backflips, track for a few seconds, while pulling some barrel rolls, pop into a sit, some front flips etc, and then once you've pulled work the canopy out and concentrate on slipping back into a smooth and safe landing pattern. That'd be fun? :)

Andy,
He's got 27 jumps and has not jumped in 11 months, do you think your suggestion is reasonable?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Andy,
He's got 27 jumps and has not jumped in 11 months, do you think your suggestion is reasonable?

I did a recurrency dive last saturday,(I appreciate your concern), went great. Im looking to do some simple stuff, not a balls out skydive, just some basic stuff to get me on the road to actually progressing in the sport.

Thanks

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

Why not cram as much into the skydive as possible?

Because this is what gets people into trouble and hurt.

With 26 skydives, not very current, and having sustained a major injury, its better to progress at a more steady and well-planned pace.

First, its going to take some time for them to overcome the injury. Compounding multiple tasks on a single dive will increase the level of performance anxiety.

My suggestion is to go out, get stable, couple of PRCP's, enjoy the freefall and remain altitude aware.

Enjoy the skydive. feel the air, clear your head, some simple turns under canopy and wings level on landing.

KISS

Why not cram as much into the skydive as possible? Exit doing some backflips, track for a few seconds, while pulling some barrel rolls, pop into a sit, some front flips etc, and then once you've pulled work the canopy out and concentrate on slipping back into a smooth and safe landing pattern.

This suggestion sounds completely inappropriate. As others have mentioned he has only 26 prior skydives, and he just finished his recurrency jump after having had an injury. I especially do not think that he should attempt to "pop into a sit". He is on rental (or maybe student) gear. This may be unsafe to attempt as he could have a premature opening.

Concentrate on survival skills. Altitude awareness.

1. Pull
2. At the correct altitude
3. Preferably stable

On landing.

1. Open area
2. Level wing (Not turning)
3. Flare for landing
4. Preferably into wind

Other stuff, like turns, forward movement etc are "nice to haves" and you'll be working on technique 8000 dives from now. When you have one waxed, they'll change (Like box to mantis) or invent new ones. (like freeflying, wing suits etc)

Wellcome back. Take small steps.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

dont take this the wrong way, but it is my feeling that all involved would be better served if you waited a few more pud pulls before giving advice like this to someone with even less experience.

this is not talk-back and is not an appropriate place for flippant responses.

and... whut tonto sed.
namaste, motherfucker.

just a thought.
welcome back
skydiving is ment to be fun jump from a plane enjoy it but work on survival couple of tpps alt awerness simple turn or two then pull.

next work on the canopy and your awerness, dont worry about the size (size dosnt matter:)
work on finding the landing area figuring out your safe landing pattern and avoiding all the crazies.

do that and you can jump again and pick up some more skills.

blue skies and have a safe jump
blue sky sand and sun.

Well, in a way, I didnt accomplish what I wanted too, but then I DID accomplish a LOT.
Jumping at a new dz was a little intimidating, until I was in the plane. I worried about lowtimer stuff, you know, exit order, landing pattern, not looking like too much of a goofball newbie :P.
Took a ride in the pickup van when I first got there to see the landing area, pea gravel, flags etc.

First jump, 3rd out. That big ol Twin Otter was a bitchen ride:)Second jump. 4th out, pretty much the same in freefall, nuthin but fun. Had a bit of a weird opening, opened with a couple line twists, dealt with it, and headed for the pea gravel. Those afternoon desert winds had really picked up and I was getting NO forward motion at all, tried getting lower to get out of the winds but didnt really change. I was absolutely willing to land out if thats what it took to ensure I would be "into the wind". 11 months ago I learned that turning low is not an option for me. I did make it back to the "general area";) and stood it up again.

Im looking at 2 weeks til Im back in the air. I cant wait.

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-