eyeinthesky

weird or typical?

Your absolutely correct. When you climb to 10G your depth perception is altered. You are unable to pick up objects as you would if you were at 100 feet.

As you start to come in for approach your perception comes back and it comes back rather quickly and you experience gound rush.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I freakin hate ladders and lifts, rollercoasters all that stuff. Get me to 14k and it's out I go. Love it. No one gets that but us.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Same here... Standing near the edge of a building a couple stories up or on a traverse between two buildings that only has glass sidings makes my stomach turn itself into knots, while having no problem at regular skydiving altitudes.

My guess its what others have said as well. At building heights you still have depth perception and you can actually see how high you are. At 12K, everything is just flat and you basically fool your brain (its no longer sending quesy signals to your stomach).

Cheers!

Costyn
--
http://skydivelogbook.sf.net/

I agree, but then I've never been at the door of a jump plane without a rig connected to me;).

At the dropzone a couple of years ago, some of the passengers were going on with the aircraft to a party at another location after the Otter dumped our sunset load at the DZ. One of the girls on the plane who was going to close the door after we left sensibly put her rig on in preparation for this task before she would go near the door. I hope that they got to jump into their party, of course.
|

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I agree, but then I've never been at the door of a jump plane without a rig connected to me;).

|

open the door and tell me to get out and im fine with it. open the door at 7000 with my seatbelt off and have the instructor and me leaning almost half our bodies out the door teaching me to spot even with my rig on and......seems contrasting dont it?! i am fine with jumping or climbing out, but i dont want to FALL out, hahaha! the weather is getting better, hopefully #13 will go okay. talk about jinxing oneself!

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

I agree, but then I've never been at the door of a jump plane without a rig connected to me;)

I've always had a one on from airplanes, though I jumped from a Mi-8-MTV into a Finnish lake from 10 meters without a rig a couple years back. Logged it too. B|

Bob

one of the common questions i often hear is "Is skydiving scary like bungee-jumping?" and I always reply that it is not because in bungee, you have a relationship with the ground as you are so close and that is what is scary. In skydiving, you have no relationship with the ground when you are leaving the plane. my .02 worth.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures