JustRelax

Here's my under canopy strategy

I'm just completing my AFF. Here's my under canopy stategy for anyone interested. Maybe comments will help me adjust and others who are thinking about the plane ride up.

1. Ok its open and looks ok.
2. Do my canopy check: Left turn, right turn, flare x2.
3. Turn to find DZ.
4. Turn into wind.
5. Unzip a bit and put pull cord into suit and zip up.
6. Look for funnel (This is funnel shape sloped from windward side - big openning on top going down to DZ. If im in funnel I can land, if not I cant get to DZ)
7. fly into funnel.
8. Could take a moment to play a few turns.
9. Good to look out for anyone else (know as I do more jumps I will be doing that all the time, but still gasping the basics at this stage).
10. look at dz and figure out landing pattern (realise already thought it out before got in plane, but diferent from up top).
11. do landing pattern, with some looking at ground when wind behind to feel speed. also feeling crabing on side angle to wind and feeling into wind state.
12. Go into funnel again if outside. About 2k now so starting to position for the real landing.
13. at 1k start down wind leg.
14. When half way down down wind leg assess if feels too high or too low.
15. If too high do some S turns to loose some height. If too low assess not to go much past target ie turn a little early.
16. Can do some S movements on side leg, but small movement only now.
17. NO HARD TURNS
18. last turn into wind, can make small adjustments if impressive landing in pit.
19. Prepare for 12 foot height. Keep periferal vision.
20. Flare steady.
21. toggles up to half if dont quite reach ground.
22. Land with little bend in knees to cushion and trot(unless stuffed it - in which case prepare PLF.
23. When land pull on one toggle to collapse parachute.
24. trot around it if windy.
25. Look for other people landing.
26. helmet and goggles off.
27. Shout with joy!
28. look for plane landing.
29. unbuckle leg straps.
30. Sachet lines (closing with slider).
31. hold at top of sachet and pick up where bag attaches to chute.
32. gather pilot chute and pilot chute line.
33. Put all over shoulder and take to packing ched.
JUMP OVER

That's it. What do you think?

Pretty damn good!

The only things I would add is don't fly up or down line of flight after opening to help minimise a collision with or proxcimity to other groups - but I don't know if you're jumping at a high capacity DZ. If it's a Cessna - you're probably doing great (Unless its a caravan..)

Also, be extra vigilant when doing the S turns to lose hight. If you're doing a left and the other jumper is doing a right and you're at the same altitude - there could be issues here.

Might be an idea keeping the helmet on till you're inside too - but again - this is dependant on lift capacity and traffic.

Good job! How many dives do you have?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm just completing my AFF. Here's my under canopy stategy for anyone interested. Maybe comments will help me adjust and others who are thinking about the plane ride up.

1. Ok its open and looks ok.
2. Do my canopy check: Left turn, right turn, flare x2.
3. Turn to find DZ.

You should probably check for other traffic too.

I also make note when I reach a "DO NOT CUT-A-WAY" altitude. In my case that's 1,000 feet AGL.

Let's say I open at 2,500 feet and five seconds later I have a collision with another canopy. Cutting away is an option. Let's say that collision happens at 1,500 feet; for me cutting away is still an option, but others may choose to ride the mess down. Now, what if that collision is in the pattern at 300-500 feet? Jumpers who are programmed to deal aggressively with a collision may choose to cut a way without realizing they are so low, and some have. Unfortunately, there is rarely time for a reserve deployment from that altitude. My choice is to ride the problem to the ground and hope there is enough nylon to keep us both alive.

Thus, as I fly through 1,000 feet I note the altitude and mentally change my collision procedures. I have more than 4,500 jumps and an RSL, so your altitude for this decision may be different.

Tom Buchanan
S&TA
Author [JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

2 Tandems, 8 AFF (HopnPo to go), 2 solos.

Yes, whe're jumping out of a Cesna.

Agree with tip on keeping helmet on. Both the JMs at the DZ have stories of being knocked out by landing jumpers.

Watching out while in S turn. Seems a skills to develop through whole dive, agree to develop strategy to always look for other traffic (defensive driving) throughout the whole thing.

Great tips, thanks

You wrote "as I fly through 1,000 feet I note the altitude and mentally change my collision procedures".

Hmm, haven't heard of that one before. Sounds right. If this idea stands up to scrutiny I'll build it into my programme.

Thanks for the tip.

You wrote "as I fly through 1,000 feet I note the altitude and mentally change my collision procedures".

Hmm, haven't heard of that one before. Sounds right. If this idea stands up to scrutiny I'll build it into my programme.

Thanks for the tip.

It's a good tip, but is usually only thought of by CReW dogs. When wrapped or entangled - you try and get out and open under your reserve to a point. Beyond that point you're going in - and if you have a canopy you should be hanging onto your partner or his gear and hoping there's enough out to save you. If you have no canopy and the clock's getting to zero - you may as well go for broke and fire the reserve (or use a tersh if you have one..)

1000 ft sounds about right...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Excellent!

If it's windy, which it shouldn't be... but if it is.. when trotting about after your canopy you can step on the PC bridal to keep your main from pulling you around. Sorta walk up the bridal and grab it where it connects to the canopy.

Plus, your instructor might mention disconnecting the RSL for certain circumstances...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”