scottaffi

Selling gear? READ THIS!

Thanks for all the input folks....I'll list the names on here tomorrow (working right now) for everyone's safety (everyone that's selling gear). I didn't even think about selling the gear to these guys but I have decided to contact the authorities about it.
I feel the same as alot of you that responded (been in this sport 21 yrs), I wouldn't buy gear unless I saw at least a pic of it. The rig I'm selling was kept in tip top shape (I'm a rigger also) but I'd still have things looked at.

Why don't you recommend they use PayPal. I think that is available anywhere.

The original poster could have requested small rocks or shiny beads, would have made no difference. The place of origin of the unusual "request" and the nature of the "request" have internet scam written all over them

I agree. My point was that PayPal would protect the seller from getting burned financially (counterfeit check and having the bank debit his account after he shipped the rig).

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

fishy, big time. if you gotta question if someone's up to something, id choose to err on the side of caution and stay away from it. i'd accept money from other countries but only by a safe way such as wire transfers, cash, international money orders, etc. if it raises a flag, trust your gut over a stranger 5000 miles away. most people are good people, but theres always that piece of shit out there....

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

check out this everyone..... http://www.carsearch.com/mb/read.php?6,955 seems this is going on several places, especially in nigeria. they dont even really want the item theyre buying, just the returned money from the stolen check. even cashier's checks are bad. geeez

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

especially in nigeria

Nigeria!!! :D:D:D is well known as an origin of notorious con scams etc... Especially in the law enforcement community including the FED level in the mid-west You think Publishers Clearinghouse has distribution???? These crews take, "YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED AS A WINNER OF ONE MILLION DOLLARS" to a whole new dimension!

We've [law enforcement] been dealing with these >personal slander

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Why don't you recommend they use PayPal. I think that is available anywhere.

Patrick

Good luck with that... there are pitfalls with that one too...

http://www.paypalwarning.com

I dont deal in anything more than $200 at a time with paypal. and refuse to get "verified" by giving them access to my bank accounts. Too many horror stories for my blood.

IF (big IF) I do ever go with paypal and get registered, I'll have a specific bank account for them to use, so they cant reverse/hold/etc on me. once the money is in my acct, it will immediately be transferred out of reach of them.

Why the govt hasnt stepped in and demanded they be regulated like a bank is beyond me. It sure seems to work like one.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

I've bought my gear unseen and untested. I've seen photographs of it, and I have been assured that it was in good condition, but I never saw it before I bought it. Main reason? I'm in Canada, they're in Florida/Ohio. As much as I wish I could have went to Florida, it just wasn't happening.

The main I bought from Craig, who immediately got my trust by shipping the goods before he ever got the money. Rest assured that he did get the money.

The container+reserve I got from Stacy, who was kind enough to provide me a notorized agreement that, if her rig fails an inspection by a rigger of my choice, she will give me my money back.

Needless to say that all components passed the test with flying colors.

I assure you that I have an interest in skydiving:) Both of them preferred not to have me deal with wire transfers, presumably so I can't reverse. I sent Stacy a money order, and Craig asked for a postal money order. I think that what Craig opted for is slightly safer because it's more difficult to forge, but we're reaching here. Anyone you're dealing with who will not understand you trying to make sure that you get your money is probably not a real skydiver, since we're all broke, right? ;) If the person has a problem with a safe transfer, don't deal with them.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Here are the names and email addresses of these guys that contacted me. Be advised that they can have multiple identities.
#1 Mark Ronicks ([email protected]) Claims to be from West Africa.
#2 Tony Benson ([email protected]) Claims to be from Nigeria
Thanks again for all the input folks....I hate to see these jerks invade our "community". Years ago you could trust anyone in the skydiving community....not true these days.
If I get any more offers I'll post them here.
Blue Skies All!!
Scott N.
D-9788
AFFI

It's pretty much guaranteed these guys use different names and email addresses each time, this is a very common scam.

It's certainly a dead giveaway if one of these guys DOES contact you, but I seriously doubt they'll use the same name and email address again.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Possibly they are trying to avoid duties at customs?

If you ship them a rig AND a check, it doesn't look like they bought it from you, it looks like they already owned it, or it is a gift....

But the shipping companies now have extensive paperwork to fill out when sending anything overseas. It blows.

This just confounds my lack of understanding of the US legal system.

Why the hell does the Secret Service police Internet Fraud? Did Dubya fall for one....?

The Secret Service was originally put together to do security and police work for the US Treasury. They still do that, and have since picked up the protective services duty, among other things.

I had an offer on my rig and told this person who is in Florida to send me a money order and I would send the rig. When I received a personal check with a different name than the guy I was dealing with a few alarm bells went off. I phone him to ask what was going on, he said the check was written by his roommate that owes him money. I told him to Fed Ex a money order again. He emailed me back and said the check has been sent by his bank, so far no check. If this money order

doesn't show up soon, I too may pass this personal check onto the authorities to be checked out.

Why the hell does the Secret Service police Internet Fraud? Did Dubya fall for one....?

It is broken down very weird and makes very little sense. There is a lot of overlap too.

The SS handles White Collar Crime, identity theft, protective services, and counterfeiting. The FBI also handles White Collar Crime and some identity theft. This may be a situation where the SS already had a case open on this individual though. You never know.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin