scottaffi

Selling gear? READ THIS!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them....I have a rig for sale (advertised here and in Skydiving Mag.), I've received 2 emails from people that live outside the USA wanting to buy the gear. They want me to accept a check, deduct the cost of the rig, then mail them the balance. Sounds a little fishy if you asked me. If you've had the same problem or have any ideas as to why these people are doing this please respond. Blue Skies!!

I don't think it's money laundering....if they are offering a check the money is in the bank and already laundered;)
Sounds like they are possibly making sure that you receive enough cash to cover shipping and the rig....to avoid any snags of that sort. Depending on how you ship and whether you insure, the costs of shipping can vary widely. I don't think it's fishy...it seems like they are trusting you to make good on delivery and want to make sure it happens.

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

There have been lots of problems in the past with people overseas buying gear with stolen credit cards. Maybe they've moved on to stolen/forged checks. This wouldn't happen to be a former Soviet Union country, would it? Did they mention how big of a check they were going to write?

definately get a bank draft...seems like the safest way to avoid getting screwed. Then again, if they are sending you a check and it doesn't bounce, heck with it...they are just trying to make sure they have enough dough to cover the deal. As long as you have the $$ first, i wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

2 possibles..

they want you to send a cheque then have a copy of your signature and account details to use for fraudulent purposes.

However most likely to be straight forward money laundering. Technically this sort of transaction forms part of the money laundering process known as layering. The idea is to put a significant paper trail between the source of funds and where it ends up. In this case using you as an unwitting do between. This happens most often with cars but don't see why it wouldn't happen with rigs. Money laundering is an expensive business costing around 40% of the funds to be laundered.

I would report this to your local authorities. Otherwise you could end up with shit all over your face and (if the same laws apply where you are as here) upto 14 years in jail. Don't touch it with a barge pole. [:/]

They want me to accept a check, deduct the cost of the rig, then mail them the balance. I'm asking $1500 for the rig. One guy wanted to write me the check for $7500 and the other for $8750.

Are you sure? I thought that rig cost $4200.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

All you have to ask yourself is this: is there any legitimate reason that someone would send you a cheque for $8750 for an item for sale at $1500? I can't think of any, my advice would be to steer well clear and, as previously suggested, contact the authorities.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

This is a new twist on an old scam. SA news had a nice piece on it when I was there last. Basically the checks are forged or stolen and since its international it can take days to clear. By the time you recieve the check you'll recieve a ton of emails asking for a check to be sent ASAP since they need the money for something else. If you don't wait the week or so for the check to clear you'll have to pay the bounced/fraud check fee and be out all the money when they cash the check. This is a scam thats hitting eBay hard right now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm asking $1500 for the rig. One guy wanted to write me the check for $7500 and the other for $8750. That's why this sounds so fishy.

These guys don't want your rig. They want your money. It isn't even money laundering, since they send you a bogus check in order to get your good one.

Mark

Offering to send you 5 times what you're asking is definitely a scam. Don't have anything else to do with these people. Find another buyer.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Ask yourself ...do these people have any real interest in skydiving. Would you buy an unsean and untested rig??? I know I wouldn't.

I am not quite sure what you mean with the untested, but there are many epople who buy rigs online without actually seeing them. I know I am one of them and I am certainly interested in skydiving...

Regarding the cheques, yeah I don't think I would go with that.

I am so naive about all of this stuff, and it does sound fishy. But in thinking about it, could the exchange rate have anything to do with it? I can't imagine writing a check to someone in another country, because my checks say "dollars" on it, while I believe theirs state the amount in their own currency - pounds, lira, rubles, yen, etc. Just curious if that had anything to do with it. And yes, I still think it's somewhat fishy, and I would only do it if it were a wire transfer transaction.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Just an update for everyone. I just got an e-mail from this guy from Nigeria that I have been corresponding with that was interested in my gear. I told him I need a wire transfer instead of a check and his reply was:

"I called my client and there are complications in doing a wire transfer.Any way since you are uncomfortable with the idea,I will tell my client not to bother."

The guys e-mail is [email protected] for those of you who are trying to sell gear, in case you get an e-mail from him.

There is definately something not right with what he is trying to do.
THANK YOU THANK YOU for the original post. I knew it was all too good to be true, but just didn't want to admit it.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Why don't you recommend they use PayPal. I think that is available anywhere.

The original poster could have requested small rocks or shiny beads, would have made no difference. The place of origin of the unusual "request" and the nature of the "request" have internet scam written all over them

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?