JumpCrazy

Allergy medication

I have the common summer hayfever as well as dog and cat allergies. I need to take some sort of medication for it but don't know what is safe for skydiving.

I realize that it must be non drowsy but I have heard that decongestants can negatively affect blood pressure at altitude. There is non drowsy allergy medication available without decongestants but they don't work all that well for me. Are decongestants unsafe? Is there something that you can reccomend?

I have gone to the doctors already and I have normal blood pressure but my doc doesn't know much about aviation medicine.
Flying Hellfish #470

I take a steroid nose spray every night that keeps my allergies at bay most of the time. It was a prescription at first, but now it's available over the counter as Nasalcrom. On days I get a little more stuffy, I use non-drowsy sudafed on the recommendation from a bunch of skydivers.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've been taking Nasalcrom every spring for 20 years. It's absolutely without side effects, toxicity, or drowsiness. I don't believe it's a steroid.

It's excellent for diminishing the overall level of allergic response, although it's not a heavy hitter like some of these others. You have to take it every day through the season and it doesn't have much effect for the first week or so.

I get sneered at from doctors who say, "That's all you're taking? We can be much more aggressive about your hay fever." But it works and it's harmless and it's proven, so what's the problem?

My Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) said when I first mentioned hay fever and nasalcrom, "Well, that's fine, but if you ever take the other drugs, you should know you won't be allowed to fly."

First Class Citizen Twice Over

When the original prescription was given to me, I think it was called Nasonex. Now I buy the Nasalcrom over the counter because it's just easier than getting a prescrition filled and going to the doctor. I do believe it's a steriod spray though, because those are the only ones safe enough to take over a prolonged period of time. It's not good to take regular nose sprays over a long time because they can make you dependant on them from what I hear.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

From the Nasalcrom product literature:

NasalCrom is neither an antihistamine nor a decongestant nor a corticosteroid. It’s a nasal mast cell stabilizer.

Interestingly, I used to get this via prescription as well. Mine was called Nasalcrom then however. When it went OTC a few years ago, the price dropped by two thirds which was nice. It now runs me about $30/month.

There was also an eye drop version called Opticrom. It went through some manufacturing problems and was discontinued many years ago. I have heard from my doctor that it's been reissued, so if you have serious itchy eye problems, it might be helpful.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

The last two seasons I have used Allegra and Allegra D for my allergies along with nasonex. I have had no problems. However on concern is that Allegra can cause mild dehydration...add altitude to that then your looking at it being worse. I just drink a bunch of water...and all is good. B|

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I stopped with all my alergy medication. Instead I rinse my nose with warm salt water. No side effects what so ever, and much more effective than any pills I've ever taken.
A farmacy should have a special bottle for this with instructions on howto use.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I take Allegra without any problems or drowsiness. But what really keeps my allergies under control is a nasal inhaler- Flonase. For me, its been a wonder drug. I've been taking it, starting late spring/early summer through the fall for a couple of years. It takes about a week to get into my system, and then I don't need the antihistamines.

I've tried Nasalcrom as well, but Flonase works better for me.

Talk to your doctor, but any "non drowsy" antihistamine should be fine, and like others have said, just plain sudafed for mild congestion.

maura