AFF instructors (or anyone else) - whats the quickest student you have had to go through AFF?

How many days (or hours/seconds) to get through the course, or even, how many jumps?

When i did AFF i heard from someone that some kid passed AFF in one jump (so i guess thats 60 or so seconds?) because his dad owned a wind tunnel and he had over 100 hours tunnel time. Not sure if this is a skydiver wives tale or what, but thats pretty impressive if so.

Can anyone top that, or if anyone knows if thats true or not, let me know as i've been wondering about that since i heard it

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

How many days (or hours/seconds) to get through the course, or even, how many jumps?

When i did AFF i heard from someone that some kid passed AFF in one jump (so i guess thats 60 or so seconds?) because his dad owned a wind tunnel and he had over 100 hours tunnel time. Not sure if this is a skydiver wives tale or what, but thats pretty impressive if so.

Can anyone top that, or if anyone knows if thats true or not, let me know as i've been wondering about that since i heard it

I heard of a guy that passed all 7 levels of AFF in one day.

I was on The Jet at Quincy in '95 or so when a student was finishing AFF on his second jump. He was a tunnel rat with many, many hours of tunnel time, and the transition to skydiving was almost an afterthought.

He seemed to think that the airplane and parachute parts of the deal were novel and fun. His attitude was that if you've seen one column of air, you've seen them all. His instructor expressed awe at this kid's abilities in freefall, even though it had only been one jump so far.

They may have been pulling my leg, but it was all said with a straight face and someone else on the load affirmed that it was strange but true.

I don't have any particulars beyond the conversation on the way to altitude, which was interrupted by the student and his instructor going over the dive plan, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I did it in seven jumps (edit: 2 months though). I've seen one or 2 skip a level. I believe the Wind tunnel story is accurate (mostly since there is that canopy control thing, and ensuring the ripcord pull)

Ive seen a tunnel rat on his head in a video doing a level 3. It's funny to see a higly skill flyer on a ripcord student rig with no canopy skills what so ever...:P

The quickest student I cleared for solo was in remarkable condition. He did ground school on Friday and was finished on Sunday. This was planned but not expected that we would finish. We made him take a break on the first day to absorb what he learned. He was hyper active as hell and didn't even know it....what a gas that was. He had to calm down cuz I wasn't about to put that bundle of energy in the air with me. Sunday he did level 7 and we did a level 8 RW dive as well. So his first 8 jumps took 2 days.

Few and far between are those I trust to take that quickly.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I did AFF in 7 jumps, although I thought I should have failed level IV. However, between travel, work and weather it took 6 weeks. I'm 51 years old so I'm kinda proud I did it. Can't wait for our New England DZ to open up and get in the air again.

BTW: Yes I will do alot of recurrency. Also got some tunnel time in during the winter.

most guys i know from my home dz pass levels 1-7 in seven jumps, i thought that was normal, guess i havent been around much though, but then again, aerohio has an awesome student program, the best i've seen from the couple dz's i've been to
i got my A, in 4 jumpin days, one week from FJC to gettin my license, but when ya sleep at the dz its pretty easy to jump a lot:)

I had one guy pass in four jumps who had _never_ jumped before, or been in a tunnel before. He was amazing. You'd tell him to keep his feet like that, move his arms like that, and he'd just go and do it. He was better at 4 jumps than I was after 100. We "graduated" him to self-jumpmaster but told him he had to make his next 4 jumps with a JM watching him exit and land. I lost track of him; I'm sure he won the nationals last year or something.

Maybe he was lying about the tunnel time, for all I know.

We had a few people graduate in 2-3 jumps off static line back in NY, but that was more stupidity than anything else. One guy dislocated his shoulder on his 10th jump trying to do a 10-way; another guy jumped the jet (and had an out of sequence deployment due to cruddy gear) at jump 13.

i read (in these forums i believe) a story about a tunnel rat who was turning points with his jumpmasters on his first aff dive. B|

i personally took about a month and a half, with one level redone to get through my pff.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

did S/L
I did
Five S/L's
One 5 sec delay
One 10 sec delay
One 2 way from 7,500
And an 8way.

9 jumps and I was off "student" status
My 13th jump was on my own rig...No AAD or RSL.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

did S/L
I did
Five S/L's
One 5 sec delay
One 10 sec delay
One 2 way from 7,500
And an 8way.

9 jumps and I was off "student" status
My 13th jump was on my own rig...No AAD or RSL.

Ron

Did my AFF Lake Wales.
Finnished my col's at Lanager (landed a lineover ?????? don't ask).
2 X2ways with my great mate.
Jump 22 jumped a Mavric without rsl or aad.

Jumping without both really tests ya.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

We had a guy (Paul Scott) go thru AFF in 6 dives. When he graduated, they handed him off to me for some coach jumping. I went up on one dive with him and when we got on the ground, I told him he didn't need me, he needed to be working with a 4-way team. He did. In about 9 months, his team took 7th in the Nationals Intermediate team. His wife went thru AFF and graduated in 6 dives also. Little turds. (Luv ya, Paul)

...Bigun

Did mine in a Thursday afternoon and a Saturday morning (weathered out Friday). I think I did 3 consols on the Saturday afternoon. But I had done 10 S/L over about 4 months 3 years before (never got off the rope).
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent