stylin

This is getting interesting...

They want me to do everything starting in the morning from now on, so I slept over last night and went up this morning, tandem-2 again. Still anxiety, I guess Im starting to get used to it. Anthing takes a few times to get used to.
So I exited, arched, counted, rip cord simulations three times, forward 5 secs then recover, then reached for the ripcord at 5000, had my hand on it this time, was just fixing to grab it and throw, then his hand was on mine and he pulled. Said I was taking too long.

Now here's whats funny. During the drills (on the ground), Im with another instructor and the person he was going up with going through the excersise, and he said, it doesnt matter if you pull the ripcord or not on tandem-2, as long as you go through the motions you pass. I went through the motions correctly and didnt pass because I didnt pull quck enough.

Thats odd. It gets more interesting.

So we slide in (fun!), he said I did great and give me five, ect. This one I was not happy about. So then I saw him talking to the last instructor I went up with, then he catches up with another two instructors talking saying something like "it was fantastic, I couldnt believe it, he was kicking ass, you should have seen the exit and arch, ect."

So just to be funny, I went "you must be talking about me again, just kidding!" and started laughing. I did that because I pretty much knew I fucked up completely and still had anxiety. Then he says, "yep, we are talking about you". I just stood there in shock while my jaw dropped, I said youre kidding, seriously? He says "yea, that was a perfect skydive, that was really something, way to go". So I tell him, dude, dont boost my ego like that, as far as Im concerned I know nothing and if I knew I knew nothing that would be something. Thats the way I want to be, because this shit is dangerous and thats all there is to it. If it doesnt feel safe, then it cant be safe.

Then the manager says he's lowering my rates and dont hesitate on the ripcord next time, plan on staying over next weekend.

I could not believe this day. Even more interesting, Im sleeping at the dropzone last night and dreaming about skydiving all night. Sleeping at a dropzone and dreaming about skydiving, what a trip. They had a cool hot air balloon go up at 6:30 this morning, first time I ever seen one of those up close. I was there watching them fill it up, wondering how freaky it would be to "climb inside" while it was half full. No thanks, another thing Im phobic about.

Just keep at it dude, and never lose the FUN FACTOR...or as JC once said, a "pure large overdose of raw satisfaction"....its all about the fun. Youre hooked...
ooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttarrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want me to do everything starting in the morning from now on, so I slept over last night and went up this morning, tandem-2 again. Still anxiety, I guess Im starting to get used to it. Anthing takes a few times to get used to.
So I exited, arched, counted, rip cord simulations three times, forward 5 secs then recover, then reached for the ripcord at 5000, had my hand on it this time, was just fixing to grab it and throw, then his hand was on mine and he pulled. Said I was taking too long.

Now here's whats funny. During the drills (on the ground), Im with another instructor and the person he was going up with going through the excersise, and he said, it doesnt matter if you pull the ripcord or not on tandem-2, as long as you go through the motions you pass. I went through the motions correctly and didnt pass because I didnt pull quck enough.

The Instructor probably meant that if the student couldn't find the handle (it is a little harder to find on tandems), but makes the Instructor aware that they are aware of the alititude and attempting to pull, good to go. If you "had my hand on it this time", why didn't you pull it? That would be my question if I was the Instructor. It is a red flag that puts doubt into the Instructor's mind that you weren't going to pull. There was no reason not to pull, and you didn't. Did you have the handle in your hand or "was just fixing to grab it"?

The Instructor is thinking about AFF. What if on your AFF jump you grab the handle and don't pull? The idea is to show the Instructor you can handle it. "I went through the motions correctly", except for he important part, actually pulling. You didn't pass not because "didnt pass because I didnt pull quck enough.", but because you didn't pull.

In summary, take responsibilty for your action/inactions throughout your training, do not blame you Instructors.

"the way I want to be, because this shit is dangerous" Glad you recognize that now.

Keep at it, sounds like you are doing fine.

Hook

The Instructor probably meant that if the student couldn't find the handle (it is a little harder to find on tandems), but makes the Instructor aware that they are aware of the alititude and attempting to pull, good to go. If you "had my hand on it this time", why didn't you pull it? That would be my question if I was the Instructor. It is a red flag that puts doubt into the Instructor's mind that you weren't going to pull. There was no reason not to pull, and you didn't. Did you have the handle in your hand or "was just fixing to grab it"?

The Instructor is thinking about AFF. What if on your AFF jump you grab the handle and don't pull? The idea is to show the Instructor you can handle it. "I went through the motions correctly", except for he important part, actually pulling. You didn't pass not because "didnt pass because I didnt pull quck enough.", but because you didn't pull.

In summary, take responsibilty for your action/inactions throughout your training, do not blame you Instructors.

"the way I want to be, because this shit is dangerous" Glad you recognize that now.

Keep at it, sounds like you are doing fine.

Hook

Nooo, wasnt blaming the instructors for anything. Actually, I fully agree with him and didnt want to go with AFF-1 for now. The rip cord was the reason, and the other reason was the still present anxiety....it needs to go away. Maybe next time itll be gone, but it needs to go away before AFF-1.

What I was getting at here, was that one instructor said you dont have to actually pull it on tandem-2 to pass, but it seems they are being stricter with me, so Im bringing that up because I think thats kind of weird, they are expecting more from me it seems like.

But I fully agree with you, and them, exactly the way I feel. Beleive me, Im in no hurry. Nor do I think Im any good at it. Its too radical to be something that should be rushed.

By the way, when we were at 5000, I waved off then had my palm flat on it, was fixing to get a grip, but I guess was taking too long. I was afraid of losing the grip on it when throwing or not having a grip on it when trying to throw. That could be kind of "messy" couldnt it? He said hand flat, grab, throw all one motion. Well what if my hand slips off, then have to grab it again...youre losing altitude. Ill get it down, but there are these minor details.

But like they said in the other posts, I think Im already hooked, cant walk away from it. If they think Im "kicking ass" and they are giving me a price break, then I want to keep kicking ass cause this shit's expensive! Im looking for any pointers you and the boys have to offer to keep things in that direction.

Thanks for replying.

Just keep at it dude, and never lose the FUN FACTOR...or as JC once said, a "pure large overdose of raw satisfaction"....its all about the fun. Youre hooked...

Yea, I know, hooked, and that quick! I only have just 5 jumps so far. The anxiety is comming from, I dont like flying (commercial aircraft too), and there is a phobia. I get over phobias pretty quick though, ie mountain climbing at high altitude used to be one of them. This one is on its way out.

Glad to see that you are starting to realize why it is best to be at the DZ as early as possable and stay all weekend.

TOT

No, not a bad idea at all, and will do if they would stop screwing me by making me work on the weekends. Maybe I can have some more skydiving dreams!!! Good ones, that is. Sure hate to get into having a bad one.

I know what the response is going to be to this. Watch "Cutaway" again and learn from it? Dont tempt me. :ph34r:

Where I live we only jump in the summer and mostly only on the weekends. I book my 16 days vacation in 2 day periods. I have 8 weekends scheduled opff this summer and I will pay people 20 for each shift they are willing to trade with me so I can have more weekends off.

I figure it is only 4 pack jobs to make up the $20.

Last summer I got laid off in may. I had the best summer of my life.

TOT
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

To my wife: 'If you ask me to stop skydiving, you are asking me to move out!'

Last summer I got laid off in may. I had the best summer of my life.
TOT

Ha ha ha, youre too funny! I can relate!!! I need a cushy job I dont have to spend too much time and frustration with. Wonder if IBM is still hiring....

Thats how I feel about having a girlfriend who doesnt approve...goodbye! I was going to date a chick at work until she made a face at me when I mentioned skydiving. Her and anyone else who doesnt "approve", screw all of them. Same goes with these assholes I have to work with, who think playing ping pong and golf is some kind of big deal. Im living in my own world around here.

The company I work for is for sale and we are hoping that IBM will buy us.

I have left girls because they did not approve. There are a lot of marrages that have ended because of Skydiving.

I remember something that one of the older jumers at my DZ told me . His wife was giving him a hard tiime and he told her "I would rather have a parachute on my back than you on my back!" He then walked out forever.

TOT
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

The company I work for is for sale and we are hoping that IBM will buy us.

I have left girls because they did not approve. There are a lot of marrages that have ended because of Skydiving.

I remember something that one of the older jumers at my DZ told me . His wife was giving him a hard tiime and he told her "I would rather have a parachute on my back than you on my back!" He then walked out forever.

TOT

Yea, well, some people just dont want you to have a life, they cant get along with you unless youre as much as a burnout as they are.

Anybody who is your friend can respect the sport youre involved with. The problem with a lot of people, and especially around here, is theyre too lazy to do anything like that, and they are jealous of you because youre not. Thats what it is, and thats why they dont approve. Youre doing something they cant do, and thats a "problem" with them.

Like I said, screw em all!

YEEHA -- now you're really a skydiver.
When your old friends get so sick of hearing about your jumps that they won't talk to you anymore, don't sweat it: You don't need them anymore, because you've got us now :)
Balloon jumps are great -- you'll get over your phobia...

YOur anxiety, by the way, will lessen with each jump. Look at it like learning to ride a bike: remember how scared you were when you were first learning, that you would fall? You were scared that you coldn't handle it. Skydiving is the same way (except that you're trying to learn it only one minute at a time :)
Congratulations -- it sounds like you've had a minor (maybe major) breakthrough.

YEEHA -- now you're really a skydiver.
When your old friends get so sick of hearing about your jumps that they won't talk to you anymore, don't sweat it: You don't need them anymore, because you've got us now :)
Balloon jumps are great -- you'll get over your phobia...

YOur anxiety, by the way, will lessen with each jump. Look at it like learning to ride a bike: remember how scared you were when you were first learning, that you would fall? You were scared that you coldn't handle it. Skydiving is the same way (except that you're trying to learn it only one minute at a time :)
Congratulations -- it sounds like you've had a minor (maybe major) breakthrough.

Bets! Hows it going? Still trying to get back with you after the hard drive crash. Yep youre right, dont need them anymore!

Bets, youre an instructor, is it my imagination, or do skydiving instructors have this uncanny ability to figure someone out long before they have themselves figured out? Seems like a lot of them dont say much to you because they dont need to, they already know what youre going to do so there's no point in talking. Theyre pretty amazing.

On the anxiety thing, youre right on target, same thing happened mountain climbing in terms of acrophobia, now I balance on top of rocks at the very top just for relaxation. Hoping to see the last of it next jump, I have a strong feeling its on its way out.

Bets, your cool, when are you comming to Eloy??? No excuses, gotta get over here.

Need to get back to work, time crunch today, talk to you soon. Stay in touch!!!

Hey I see you jump at Eloy. I am so jealous. That is my dream DZ. You have such good weather there.

When you only get 50 days a year you can jump you get anxious to go somewhere the weather is better.

Good Luck with your PFF.

TOT
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

Hey I see you jump at Eloy. I am so jealous. That is my dream DZ. You have such good weather there.

When you only get 50 days a year you can jump you get anxious to go somewhere the weather is better.

Good Luck with your PFF.

TOT

OK, so come out here! Ill meet you down there, show you around AZ if you want. Like mountain climbing too? Good workout dude, you cant beat it!

Bets, youre an instructor, is it my imagination, or do skydiving instructors have this uncanny ability to figure someone out long before they have themselves figured out?

You got it. The best instructors get into the student's head, figure out how they learn -- what's their passion -- and puts skydiving in terms they'll understand. Some instructors are really good at the psychological part (that's my strength so far), some are really good at the technical part, and the very best have chops at both. At Eloy, you probably have tons of instructors in the last category (thumbs up to TM Greg Foster -- I'd let my 70 yr old mom jump with him. Say hi to him if he hasn't already left for the summer). As you get more jumps under your belt, you learn to make the translation yourself, and teachers become mentors, then jump buddies. But their technical expertise is always a bonus.

On the anxiety thing, youre right on target

Just don't be too bummed if it crops up every once in a while. When I was a student, I got freaked out enough to ask if I could please go back a level, before I ever failed a jump, because I was getting too far ahead of my comfort zone (As a student, you're always asked to attemptsomething just beyond your current reach or you wouldn't learn, right?). I wanted to devote one jump to relaxation. It worked.

your cool

Keep 'em coming...B|B|

when are you comming to Eloy??? No excuses, gotta get over here.

You're not kidding. I've been meaning to get there since I started jumping. I was thinking the Xmas boogie, but my DZ is doing a Mexico thing right about then... But wait! Eloy is on the way to Mexico. ROAD TRIP!

I'm glad you're making progress. Anytime you have questions, let me know. I won't get technical with you, but I'm here for moral support.:)

Bets, youre an instructor, is it my imagination, or do skydiving instructors have this uncanny ability to figure someone out long before they have themselves figured out?

You got it. The best instructors get into the student's head, figure out how they learn -- what's their passion -- and puts skydiving in terms they'll understand. Some instructors are really good at the psychological part (that's my strength so far), some are really good at the technical part, and the very best have chops at both. At Eloy, you probably have tons of instructors in the last category (thumbs up to TM Greg Foster -- I'd let my 70 yr old mom jump with him. Say hi to him if he hasn't already left for the summer). As you get more jumps under your belt, you learn to make the translation yourself, and teachers become mentors, then jump buddies. But their technical expertise is always a bonus.

On the anxiety thing, youre right on target

Just don't be too bummed if it crops up every once in a while. When I was a student, I got freaked out enough to ask if I could please go back a level, before I ever failed a jump, because I was getting too far ahead of my comfort zone (As a student, you're always asked to attemptsomething just beyond your current reach or you wouldn't learn, right?). I wanted to devote one jump to relaxation. It worked.

your cool

Keep 'em coming...B|B|

when are you comming to Eloy??? No excuses, gotta get over here.

You're not kidding. I've been meaning to get there since I started jumping. I was thinking the Xmas boogie, but my DZ is doing a Mexico thing right about then... But wait! Eloy is on the way to Mexico. ROAD TRIP!

I'm glad you're making progress. Anytime you have questions, let me know. I won't get technical with you, but I'm here for moral support.:)

You know Greg Foster!!! He's pretty cool, the first tandem-2 I had was with him and told him I wanted to keep jumping with him. He gets a little hyper sometimes, I guess just too used to pumping adrenaline. He's still there and should be there this weekend, Ill ask if he knows you. He's probably going to ask me how I know you. Ill just tell him youre my girlfriend!!! Ha ha, just kidding. Yea right, dream on Chris.

They do get inside of your head! I like that, maybe they can tell me something about myself sometime. I noticed youre like that too, when you PMed me the first time I could believe it. Im gonna print that out, frame it, and hang it on the wall! (Im kidding)

Now see here, you gotta get out here a lot sooner than that! Gonna make us all wait till Christmas? Man, thats cruel and unusual punishment.

------------------------------------------------------------
your cool
------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's some more...

Youre to coolest, youre #1, youre the greatest, you are a skygoddess, I worship the ground you walk on!!!
Bets, YOU DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the Bets, you are #1!!!

Now the sooner you want me to throw myself at your feet, the sooner you have to get out here, its a little hard to do that from a forum you know! PLANE TRIP!!!

I guess you can probably tell Im freakish about women who are skydiving instructors. I didnt know that until now. So much for surfer girls.

:$:$:$
Aww, that's so sweet...
Sorry though, I've got to pay for my broken leg before I can afford a plane trip (at least one that involves a movie and a landing :P).

Anything for you Bets. Hope your leg gets better soon! I feel your pain.....OW! man, that hurts!