eyeinthesky

advice wanted quick!

theres an auctionon ebay for a rig, going pretty cheap. nothing fancy. i was wondering if anyones jumping a rascal here, ,and what they think of it. not that ive had anything to compare on canopy jumping, im at the end of static training and looking to buy a cheap beginners rig. its a 247 rascal main, BOC, sentinel AAD and a reserve. if i like the manta 288 im jumping, how will i like this. i really dont want to go down in size much from the 288. i dont really want to get into fancy canopy flight. i enjoy the slow ride down, taking in the sights and enjoyiing it all. thanks guys!

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

This is just one dumb newbie's opinion, but no way would I buy a rig from e-bay. Certainly not a first one anyway. You have no idea of the quality or wear and tear, how it will fit you, and a whole host of other issues. If you buy from someone you have met, you can simply say "has the reserve been used" and a blunt question will make it harder for them to lie. Also, when buying rigs second hand, the common practice is for the rig to go from seller's rigger to buyer's rigger, so that both parties have expert opinion on any issues of quality that may arise. That way you can haggle over the price more effectively and get a better deal in the long run.

Just my tuppence in the hat, but I would run like the wind from this offer, and the fact that I'm a bit of a gear geek but have never heard of a rascal scares me a bit.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

do DZ's ever get in the practice of selling off student rigs from time to time? i kinda like the ones we use and wouldnt mind buying one of them. any of you all have any idea what a fair price would be. we use 288 mantas, FXC's, large containers, RSL's, ripcords. theyre obviously well used. thanks!

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

My advice would be talk to the people who are training you. get a little closer to your a lisend. cruise thru the classifieds here to get an idea what's out there and what it cost. If you want to free fly, you need to know what gear is free fly friendly. (read container)Just any old thing won't cut it. good luck blue skies ;)

Student rigs tend to have adjustable harnesses, which, ironically, you can never get a comfortable fit in. Plus, you will soon want to be off ripcord, trust me. Also, I only use an FXC because I have to, if I was allowed I would rather jump without it. I'm not saying they are proven not to work or anything, I just don't like how exposed and bashable they are.

Am I right in thinking you are on static line? If so then you will probably find that when you get further into freefall on the student progression system you will actually be jumping something closer to a 220, since you have the experience. That's what seems to happen over here. If so, I very much doubt you will want to go up a size when buying your own gear, and it will be easier to sell on when you get tired of it. All new rigs (that are from reputable companies) will come with an RSL if you ask, and a rigger will be able to provide one for a second hand rig if it doesn't have one already, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

This is just one dumb newbie's opinion, but no way would I buy a rig from e-bay

Good advice, unless you're talking about that Vector I with the Fury in it... :P

No, unless you know the seller, or that the seller is reputable, I'd stay away from ebay too. But skydiving's a small community, so you could email the seller and find out who he/she is. Somebody at your DZ might know her, or even the rig....

the fact that I'm a bit of a gear geek but have never heard of a rascal scares me a bit.

Right> what IS a Rascal anyway...? I don't know if I'd want a canopy called a Rascal. Maybe a "Trusted Friend," but not a Rascal...:)

Right> what IS a Rascal anyway...?

You know I think we had one come threw our loft not to long ago, I'll have to check the computer to see if I can find it. Of course on the other hand we had Javelin S/N 16 come threw our loft so we do get a lot of really old and even some really odd gear.
Fly it like you stole it!

A Rascal was one model that APS/FTS made, along with the Laser and Bogey. See PIA's volume chart. http://www.pia.com/piapubs/archive_documents/tech_stds/PIA%20TS104-13%20Canopy%20Volume%20Study%20.html

It was made in a couple of sizes and configurations, including an eight cell.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Rascals were (actually still are) made by APS in Texas. Previous to that, they were made in Alpharetta, GA by FTS (same company, different name) by Dave Davenport. Previous to that, they were made in my dad's loft in Opelika, AL. They were made in 7, 8, and 9-cell versions and sold as both mains and reserves. They were very popular in the 80's down south.

Chuck