snowboundlava

"big boned" hahaha...ok...chubby

I weigh more than all of the girls at my dropzone. I was wondering what all that is going to affect? I am a beginner and I was just curious if my weight will make that much difference. I just read a post about people at a dropzone calling a girl a "ballistic meatball" behind her back. I don't want to be involved with people like that so I really hope that my dz is not like this. I'm not really fat but I work out and I have lots of muscle. I am afraid that people will call me the "ballistic meatball", I guess it's time to loose some bodyfat. [:/]

do you weigh more than all girls together on your dropzone or just more than each girl on your dropzone :o:P

Why does it matter what others think of you, important is what you think of yourself.

about the names behind your back. i bet each and everyone on this world has sort of a name that he doesn't know about. everyone is talking differently about a person behind his back either it's better or worse.

"George just lucky i guess!"

We can call you MOAB if you want. :D

But seriously, who cares what other people thinks, and if your DZ is like that, go find another one. If you are in the 'weight limits' specified, don't worry about it, just be safe and have fun.

Hey...I'm on the other side of the fence, I'm a skinny ass, but, here I am, skydiving and having fun.

[QUOTE]I am afraid that people will call me the "ballistic meatball", I guess it's time to loose some bodyfat.[/QUOTE]

In my lowly opinion you can look at this two ways. 1, say fuck it and jump and don't give a shit what people think, you are doing this for yourself after all. 2, use it as a motivator to produce positive effects in your life, i.e. losing weight, living healthier.

Who cares what anyone says? Well, the answer would be all of us, you just have to learn how to harness other people's emotions that are projected upon you in a positve way.

peace, Andy

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm not really fat but I work out and I have lots of muscle.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then you have enough muscle to kick their nasty nickname-calling asses.

PS. Many of us have "body-image" issues. For example, rain and a knee injury prevented me from exercising nearly as much as I would have liked over the winter. I am up to 200 pounds now and afraid to try on my camera suit out of fear that it has "shrunk" around the waist.

Thanks ya'll. You are all right. Why am I worried so much about what they think. I am in the limits and I do work hard in the gym and I do have enough muscle to kick their boodies. So....I'll just not worry about it and keep my boodie in the sky. My problem is that I love to eat. I love to work out, too. I just haven't gotten the eat-to-workout ratio right just yet. :D

oh then you're like me.
well at least about that "like to eat" part ;)

the key is that you have to work more than you eat. not just weights you also need to do swimming, running, bicycle, ...

"George just lucky i guess!"

I am a 200lb skydiver and fall rates with other skydivers have been a challenge. But I've also noticed that the small jumpers have fall rate issues as well. It's those lucky people who happen to be in the middle that have the best of both worlds and I don't think they understand the issues us big or small jumpers must endure. But if we want to jump, we must learn to deal with it. Big jumpers deal with it by wearing bulky clothing and make ourselves big in the air. Small jumpers wear tight clothing and must make themselves streamlined.

Best of luck with your training. And remember to keep your head up. Skydiving will give you an appreciation for living life to its fullest and nobody can take that away from you. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You can do one of three things.

a) Say Fuck 'em and jump anyway.
b) Say screw 'em and jump anyway
c) Say "Bollocks to you lot, I'm jumping anyway" and jump anyway.

In either case you just need to ignore those assholes who would use such nicknames and hang out with the friendly guys and girls which make up the majority of any DZ. We're all over the place, (just like a freefalling AFF 1 student ;)) you just need to find us.

Have fun. :)

Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. Despite the fact that I do find smaller to medium sized women attractive, when it comes to jumping, I'd much rather jump with someone who's going to be close to my fall rate range. So if you were jumping at my dropzone, I'd ask you for a jump before I asked that 100 lb feather weight.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey I was a real chubby kid at school. I didnt get teased alot, because I never let my weight take over my life. But on the rare occasions where I did get teased, I used to say to them "Hey I maybe fat, but you're ugly...and I can lose weight!";)

that shut them up everytime

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Aww, don't sweat it.

Those little tiny girls have to put on weight vests in order to keep up with the guys in freefall -- you won't have to (I don't either).

"Ballistic Meatball" almost sounds like a complement.

When you look around DZ's, you'll see people in varying states of physical fitness. Don't judge yourself against the twiggy girls -- you could take them in arm wrestling anyway. Strong is healthy, and has nothing to do with thin.

So there. :)

PS. Many of us have "body-image" issues. For example, rain and a knee injury prevented me from exercising nearly as much as I would have liked over the winter. I am up to 200 pounds now and afraid to try on my camera suit out of fear that it has "shrunk" around the waist.

I know what you're going through -- I gained 30+ pound during my recovery from a broken leg. Scarily, my jumpsuits still fit me (barely -- the zipper teeth could blow any second).

Talk about a ballistic meatball! my average belly fall rate, in my freefly suit is 137, according to my protrack (and I was trying to "get big").:D:D

By the end of the season, I'll have lost 15 of these pounds just through staying busy, i hope...

Don't worry about it. I'm what has been called "CornFed", weighing about 255-260lbs without gear. You do have to learn how to fall to the same speed as those "dried in the drier" pencil sized skydivers, but it can be done.

Hey, you're in the sport and that's what matters, so FIDO.

ps (fido = fuck it drive on)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Heather!

As Garfield might say, "I'm not overweight, I'm under-tall!":)
I used to be a gym person when I worked downtown and got no other exercise but now I'm not. If you can kick the sharp tongue's butt (and are inclied to do so) go for it! If you're a pacifist then may I suggest an alternative strategy? ....If you love to eat then you likely also love to cook. Share some of your delightful creations with the skinny (malnourished? fallrate impaired?) skydivers and watch the differntial evaporate. I'm a foodie too and NOBODY refuses my offer of chef-boy-ar-Dave grade DZ food.

Blue Skies

Dave

My problem is that I love to eat. I love to work out, too. I just haven't gotten the eat-to-workout ratio right just yet.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Gee people called me Amazon behind my back......at age 12.... I took that away from them....neener neener

Amazon

I am heavier than lots of people on my DZ... then again.. I am 6'1" too.

Muscles are good... it helps when they don,t show the proper attitude>:(

I cn understand your position. I'm about 230 and when i started, i had a lot of problems staying with people. I can't count the number of RW dives I watched from 100 feet below.

get a big floppy jumpsuit, and it'll make a big difference.

My JM's gave me the "slickBrick" nick after I nearly lost one on my Level 4 dive. :~)

heck with it. there's plenty of fast fallers out there. If you make it out to the mid atlantic, look me up. I can hook you up wiht the fast fallers in my area.

Skip

get a big floppy jumpsuit, and it'll make a big difference.

Yeah, what he said! I jump what amounts to a freeflysuit with grippers, and can fall with most people, but I still need to get the featherweights to put on weights to stand a chance with them... but that's one of the things that was different when I came back after a 17 year layoff... the slowfallers were actually increasing their fall rate to help in playing nice with others...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

To SnowBoundLava The really kewl Freeflyers seem to want to find a SMOKIN base to do Hybrid dives with... I weigh a bunch more than when I quit skydiving 22 years ago....life will do that to you. I am not the floater I once was..I got really good at doing no lift dives from the DC-3. When you start out on the flight deck on one of those the base is a LONG way below you by the time you even get out the door of the aircraft. Now I can just relax.. and be in the base:)
Maybe with a lot more time in the air I can get good at freefly. Being on a freefly formation would be very cool for a not so little ole lady:)

So get in a bunch of jumps before Lost Prairie... work on your skillz in the air. I think you will find there will be plenty of people to help you get into some form of formation if you do.

Amazon