John4455

Skydivers Smoke

Your best course of action would be to talk to a local Pro-rated jumper. They have to learn about jumping with smoke and can tell you the ins and outs. Something to think about: most jumpers who jump with smoke, have "demo-only" gear for their demo jumps, since the smoke burns their containers and sometimes can singe canopies.

Also, if you're just looking for the effect, flour can do it too, without burning your shoes, gear, etc. Its also hella cheaper.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

John,
I have jumped smoke a couple of times. In answer to your questions, smoke burns very hot. You need to have a quality smoke bracket to hold the smoke, and not burn your ankle. Also, remember that white smoke burns the cleanest and it's the cheapest. Colored smoke leaves a residue on EVERYTHING!
My suggestion to you is to get in touch with your local "pro" instructor to get some valuable tips on smoke diving. As far as purchasing smoke, PARAGEAR sells it, and you might be able to find it out and around. Ask people around your dropzone, and go from there. Remember, NEVER pop smoke in the plane, and have some safety thoughts about what to do after you land with a very hot used canister. (metal bucket, not plastic. NEVER throw it into a trash bin either) Ask questions, and know before you go.

Later,
Curt
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

I use a military M18 smoke canister when making a smoke jump.

1. Have a thick bracket made to fit your ankle (mine is a "T" bracket... One side goes under my heel and the other serves as a seat for the canister's "hot" end).
2. Smoke canisters burn up very hot.
3. I use radiator hose clamps to secure the canister to the ankle bracket.
4. Step way out on the step before pulling the fuse (plane owners get really pissy when they have smoke trailings on their aircraft).
5. Ensure you have NO fabric close to the smoke canister.
6. Pull the fuse about 10 seconds before the spot (takes five seconds for it to ignite and begin smoke).
7. Under canopy, keep your airspeed up (sashays work well) to prevent smoke trailings from embedding on your canopy and lines.
8. Ground crew needs to have: a) cutters to cut the hose clamps if necessary, fire extinguisher, and metal bucket to dispose of the canister (Do not use the fire extinguisher on the canister... it can explode... for grass fires only).

Test your ankle bracket and the hose clamp cutters (Sheet metal snips work best) on the ground prior to making your first jump. Test the cutters with a canister on your ankle before firing it. Practice emergency procedures for cutting and disposal with your ground crew.

Don't do CReW with a smoke canister burning:P

...Bigun

I find it a bit strange that there is no "cold" smoke alternatives (except flour).
This must be something that can be improved.
Any chemists out there to take the callenge?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Do you have a legitimate source? We used to use them all the time. They were generally available. As best I know they were "take homes" from National Guard or Reserve. The only ones I've seen lately go for $75 up on auction internet sites. I've got one that I got cheap a couple years ago from someone who didn't know the going rate. I also have a number of East German military smoke that were available on the gun show market a couple years ago. Those seem to have disapeared now. Other than my stash I don't know of any pin pull ingiter smoke available other than what Paragear carries.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Of course you might just consider hanging the can from a piece of 900 cord and see if that solves your problem.....It has been done like that for many years and not burned anybody or any thing......
If $ is your real problem you can get alternatives from commercial Fireworks Manufacturers.....they're $7.50 here in Fla. and they work every time.....

Just let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.
POOOOF and Pyro's..........Cheers

Of course you might just consider hanging the can from a piece of 900 cord and see if that solves your problem.....It has been done like that for many years and not burned anybody or any thing......
If $ is your real problem you can get alternatives from commercial Fireworks Manufacturers.....they're $7.50 here in Fla. and they work every time.....

Just let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.
POOOOF and Pyro's..........Cheers

Hang smoke from a cord???
...AHHH, NO! Not a good idea...
I hope you mean steel cable!!!;)
I jump with between 100 & 150 smokes a year...
NEVER seen anything of quality for $7.50a unit.
What the hell are you talking about???

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Your best course of action would be to talk to a local Pro-rated jumper. They have to learn about jumping with smoke and can tell you the ins and outs. Something to think about: most jumpers who jump with smoke, have "demo-only" gear for their demo jumps, since the smoke burns their containers and sometimes can singe canopies.

Also, if you're just looking for the effect, flour can do it too, without burning your shoes, gear, etc. Its also hella cheaper
Once again Dave is right on the mark...
I've been jumping with smoke for over 25 years and have an entire collection of burned up containers, canopies, jumpsuits, and boots...
Couple of things to take into consideration when jumping smoke...
Boot Bracket:
Made of metal, going around the back half of the boot. Don't have the metal under the sole...boot slides or catches on landing.
Have a quick release for the bracket, it will be big and bulky and catch on things like seatbelts and lines. Remember, if you cut the smoke away it will be going really fast when it hits whatever your over!
Don't drop the pins! They can make holes in things too! You can take a 10 inch piece of duct tape, put it through the ring, stick it to itself...you have a 5 inch 'handle' to grasp the pin that will kind of float down like a maple seed...or just hang on to them as I do.
Be sure to straighten the pin (cotter pin) prior to exit, and when you pull it be sure you pull it straight out, in line with the hole it is in. If it is pulled at much of an angle there is a chance the cotter pin will bend, leaving 1/2 of it in to block the hammer.
If you're jumping it in freefall...don't bend your knees! You'll have a whole new definition of Hot Ass!
When you land chances are it will still be hot...keep it away from people and nylon.
Hanging Smoke:
Always on a steel cable, it burns through nylon.
Have a quick release on the cable...reasons are obvious.
Have a safe way to stow / carry the smoke and cable so that nothing comes out before you want it to. I have containers holding 3, 6, and 12 smokes on a stainless steel line. They attach to my harness like an old bellywart reserve.
I've made demos where I burned 16 smokes on one jump...but no matter how many or what kind you use, always keep in mind that it is not an ordinary jump.
Think it through, make a plan and stick to it.
Good luck and be safe!
-Twardo
Liberty Parachute Team
www.libertyteam.com

BTW...
If anyone knows of a source for military M18's...
I'm always interested, any quanity any color.
Also, I'm currently working with a custom pyro manufacturer to come up with a longer burning, higher volume design utilizing electric matches for igniters.
When / if we can come up with a product I feel is suitable for skydiving use, I can give anyone interested and licensed the 'low-down' .
Email or PM me.
-Twardo