tosca

prepared to land out?

Only on balloon jumps, but generally try to land in semi populated areas and hope for a ride to where i need to go...(see the second or third clip at the start of credits in the 2002 Convention video for that balloon landing)

I always keep a pull up on my rig.. I usually my smokes and a lighter when people start to land off on a consistant basis on a day..
last week spots were really bad at ASC and I landed off and packed in the field I landed in and sat on the porch of the people house while the lady brought me a glass of tea before I started my hike.. You always want to be able to pack when you land off incase you really have a long hike in front of you....

Decent shoes, a pull-up cord so you can field-pack your gear, and some clothes if it's a naked jump.

Cell phone if you have one, I guess (I don't).

Having landed out while barefoot and with no pull-up cord, I can assure you that's survivable. Just gross if the field is wet and has been used by cattle. But I do keep a pull-up in my rig to field pack.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hidden in my Mirage I have:
2 pull up cords
1 $10 bill
4 quarters.

If I know I'm doing cross-country or CRW I take my cell phone with me now.;)

Kris

Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My rig has 2 pull up cords and 2 dollar bills in it. My jump suit pocket has 2 more pull up cords and I carry my wallet with a DZ business card (I know the DZ's # better then I know my own cell #) and some small bills. I've tossed some cash to people giving me rides most times so I keep enough on me to do that from now on.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I always have a pull-up cord, some money and even some rubber bands in my rig. This is a habit learned at a dz where we had to land in a field a couple of miles from the airfield. We all packed while waiting for a van to bring us back!
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

Unless I'm in unfamiliar territory, it's usually just a pull-up cord. However, while at the WFFC, my wife and I both carry handheld radios. With so many canopies in the air, we are not always able to land near one another. The radios are good for checking in after a jump if we get separated and letting the other know we are OK.... Also useful if we are not OK to pass on our location.

Rock

I believe you should ALWAYS be prepared to land out.

It's funny when people talk about how there's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane and they also talk about emergency procedures for leaving the aircraft if there's an engine failure, but then seem to think they'll never have to land out.

I've always carried spare pocket change, rubber bands and pullup cords with me and I used to only carry a cell phone on special jumps, but at some point in the last year this has become a habit with me and I now carry one on every jump.

I've only landed out once unintentionally, but I was damn glad I had the cell phone at the time. Folks were strung out over a wide and inhospitible area and the cell phone came in handy in rounding them up as well as talking with folks at the DZ. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but a cell phone would have come in handy if they were. BTW, that was due to a poor spot in very high winds -- near the limits of being jumpable. I think maybe one person made it back to the landing area, but others were easily at least a mile downwind and I believe five of those landed inside the boarders of a power plant.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I dont usually take much of anything...on cross country I usually take my cell phone...never money and I dont jump with my wallet...I do have a pull-up cord neclace that (against reccomendation from the manufacturer) I do wear all day... I jsut make sure its nice and tucked into my suit and under my shirt(s) before I exit...
-yoshi

That's a great question - thanks for asking! I'm fairly new too and some things you don't think about. I agree with some of the more experienced jumpers that say you should always be prepared. Makes me think!!! ;)

Wendy - you kill me girl!!! :P Neked skydivers!!! :$

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I had a bad expierence with a landowner.. It was in Canada at a boogie.. I landed in his field after a mal and he chased me out, he fucking stole my freebag too.. He would not listen to reason.. Bastard!! I cant believe people are like that...

Also carring things on you is always good.. Sometimes there are days that there are greater chances of landing off than others.. So sometimes you dont have to carry money(especially since I am always broke) and other things.. But then there are some days that one or two people land off on every load, so those would be the good days to carry a little more than normal..

I freefly alot and the only pocket I have is on my leg and when I carry a cell phone it really takes a beating.. So sometimes carrying something ALL THE TIME is more trouble than it is worth..

But I really like the hand held radio idea.. thats pretty cool...

If Skreamer is spotting, take your passport, a GPS, emergency rations, a signalling mirror, some water, and a phrase book for various languages!;)
Seriously, I've landed way off at Vichy in particular, jet jumps, you get strung out a fair bit. But they are ready for it.
I normally carry a pull-up, a couple of stows and a couple of coins. I've necer needed a cell phone. Tactics if you are landing out would be to try and land with some other people, as long as their landing area is clear. You can look after each other in te event of minor sprains, twists, hard landings, etc, and its easier to round you all up.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a landowner?

A guy landed in someones garden. It turns out that the owner of the house is one that really hate skydivers and try to get rid of the dropzone because he think our airplanes make too much noise.

He called the police, took a video camera and filmed the "crime", illegal access to private property, and he kept the skydiver in his back yard until the police came...

I´ve got a pull-up cord, money and phone number to the dz and the local ambulance in the rig. And some rubber bands. Why not, all those things are so small and thin that I don´t even notice that I carry them with me.

I´m thinking of bringing a cell phone, I have wanted to have one every time I´ve landed out.
When other people land out, it´s so nice when they call back to the dz and tell us they had a good landing and that they try to get a ride back or something like that.

I don´t know where to have my cell phone though...

First, please do me a favor and leave your cigarette lighter on the ground.

Cell phones make far more sense than walky-talkies because they can talk to far more people, i.e. ambulance drivers.

The best way to prevent disagreements with neighboring farmers is to act like old-school BASE jumpers. Move quickly and quietly. Leave no traces (i.e trampled crops or open gates). If they catch you, surrender politely, apologize and pull out your trusty copy of "The Watchtower."

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a landowner?

I had my first out landing this weekend (before you start screaming, the beer was dutifully purchased). On a two-way sit, we ended up unintentionally leaving on a red light- the Otter turned around right after we left. I didn't realize just how far we actually were, so I pulled around 4 instead of higher. My friend, a much more experienced jumper, pulled higher, and made it back just fine.

I was scanning around, evaluating options, when I saw a farmer mowing a field in his tractor. The field is right next to a road, and I figured I'd have nice, short grass to land in, and the farmer might be kinda bored and lonely, and wouldn't mind a quick visit. (Having never landed out before, it never occurred to me he might mind a stranger dropping onto his property...) He was getting to the far end, so I set up and landed around the middle. I waved at him as he turned around, and he waved back, drove over, got out, and came up to shake my hand and offer me his cell phone. He seemed just thrilled. Guess I figured right...

All in all, quite fun for my first out landing...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?