AggieDave

What not to do (how the Aggie almost died)

Ill probably go on one more just to make sure I pass that AFF-1 the first time, I really dont need to be failing that. Thats the part on AFF-1 that scares me the most is not passing.

lol.

wonders how more than 2 tandems would help anyone pass AFF1

but hey if you want to give skydiveAZ more money I'm all for that. I had a friend who came out and just did 3 tandems over a weekend, she didnt have time to complete the course and knew she wouldnt be able to jump again for 6 months so...she was all about the ride. If thats the case then say so, but i cant imagine how any more tandems will help prepare you for being responsible for your own fate..

Yea but theyre going to be getting a lot more money if I dont pass the AFF-1 the first time, not to mention Im going to have a shitty week if I dont. Figure up how much is costs to do that two or three times, and on the tandem-2 I get a discount. If I dont pass that the first time Im going to shit bricks. Its the rip cord thing, just want to make sure I get it out before they do.

It isnt about fate, its about passing, look at it this way, you have to be alive when you get on the ground in order to pass. So no point in worrying about dying. I might could get an AFF-2 in the same day. Course I might be broke by then...

thats the threshold that marks it for me.

Well, the threshold that marks it for ME is your first freefall with your own gear wearing a pumpkin costume!

Therefore, NONE of you are skydivers!!! NONE OF YOU!!!

Ahem. My point is that you can't define to someone else what makes him or her a skydiver. What about the folks who are physically unable to jump on their own, but have a shitload of tandems?

Hey, to me, leaving the plane is leaving the plane. Six tandems is a level of commitment to the sport that most of the world's population won't show.

Hmm, you love talking about me but wont talk to me.

Hey Zen, since she wont talk to me, tell her I think she's beautiful and let me know what she says!!!

thats the threshold that marks it for me.

Well, the threshold that marks it for ME is your first freefall with your own gear wearing a pumpkin costume!

Therefore, NONE of you are skydivers!!! NONE OF YOU!!!

Ahem. My point is that you can't define to someone else what makes him or her a skydiver. What about the folks who are physically unable to jump on their own, but have a shitload of tandems?

Hey, to me, leaving the plane is leaving the plane. Six tandems is a level of commitment to the sport that most of the world's population won't show.

Jessica makes some interesting points. Especially the ones about me not being a skydiver since I've yet to jump wearing a pumkin costume. :o:S>:(;)

Now for the fellow who's done the tandems. I think we can all agree that he's not a skydiver (yet) but that he has had the initiative to jump six times (six time more than the vast majority of the whuffo world).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey Zen, since she wont talk to me, tell her I think she's beautiful and let me know what she says!!!

sorry this isnt grade school and i dont pass notes, if you want to flirt do it on your own..(and in talk back)

I could go on about a certain female being wayyyy out of someone's league, but I won't.;)

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

your right, tandems also help prepare a student for freefall so they dont 'space' for the first 30 sec and have no chance to pass..

however..if after 2 you arent prepared to try (different from being frightened about it, thats normal) to complete the skills nessesary to save your life, then perhaps skydiving is not for you.. "one more tandem to be sure i'll pass" sounds a lot like and excuse...

IMO doing a tandem doesnt make you a skydiver, your still just a passenger trusting someone else to save your life...its that first 'solo' leap that crosses the threshold for me..

Ever heard the saying "practice makes perfect"? I dont know whether it makes me a skydiver or if Im going to be a skydiver or call myself a skydiver, all thats not importand.

Whats matters to me, is I went SKYDIVING, thats what Im trying to do, go skydiving! See it this way, if you ever went surfing with me (and youre welcome to), would that mean youre trying to be a surfer? Probably not, you just want to get up on a surfboard for the experience of it, and maybe after that you want to keep doing it, but that doesnt mean you want to be hanging with the locals and be out on dawn patrol every day!

What am I trying to do? Go skydiving. I never intended to be like "oh I have to be a skydiver, get more jumps than anyone else, get competitive, high performance parachute, ect". Thats for you, not for me, Im happy with just being up in the plane in the first place. Getting a little tired of tandem so I want my own parachute now and want to get through more of the basic maneuvers.

Not everyone wants to be competitive, and besides Im already that with a few other things. Im taking the class on Sat and not jumping till Sunday morning, so it doesnt hurt to practice on one more tandem before AFF-1.

I think Zen's point isn't how many jumps you do, or what kind of jumps you do. Whuffo is more of a state of mind then it is a state of having had done something.

I know a lot of people who have jumped who are still whuffos.

The point is, this entire conversation came about because you don't understand what lays ahead of you and you're making judgements without having foundation of knowledge to make those judgements.

There are some serious reasons why you wouldn't want to open at 4k every jump. That is what I'm talking about.

People are trying to tell you this and you're lashing back at them. That's why this thread has now left the thresh-hold of having been a useful learning tool about 30 posts ago.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think Zen's point isn't how many jumps you do, or what kind of jumps you do. Whuffo is more of a state of mind then it is a state of having had done something.

OK then, Im a whuffo, so what? I like being a whuffo, got that whuffo mentality. You be a skydiver and Ill be a whuffo. Glad we got that cleared up.

When are you not a whuffo (considered to be a skydiver)?

This was a thread some weeks ago that drew some pretty diverse opinions. It was also a very long thread.
|

Im trying to make a point here. Who cares about who is a skydiver and who's a whuffo? What difference does it make? I cant believe how you people are so wrapped up in this, who gets called a skydiver and who gets called a whuffo, who cares???

What I care about: as long as the school isnt telling me I shouldnt be skydiving for some reason, then Ill probably keep doing it. If they tell me that, then Ill go to something else like hang gliding. This isnt a source of "pride" or "ego" for me, its a hobby, and calling me a whuffo means absolutely nothing to me. As far as jumping goes, I can take it or I can leave it, so far Ive decided to take it. Yall make a big deal out of the littlest thing.

This isnt a source of "pride" or "ego" for me, its a hobby

as long as you stay focused on this one particular aspect, you will do fine. i, like you came storming ontro dropzone.com a few years ago thinking i knew everything and recieved pretty much the same response you are, ignore it, keep your mouth shut and your ears open at this point and time in the sport and you'll learn twice as fast. you'll find if you don't come across as a know it all, the same guys that are giving you trouble now, will help you, they're are some good skydivers here, and a couple of them who were advising you are USPA coaches, so listen, then speak from experience. that said, it is generally not well recieved for a "newbie" to come storming onto the boards. please do not be offended by anything i'm saying, i'm honestly trying to help you out. take care, be safe, have fun, and NEVER stop learning.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

the whole dang post

Ummm -- this is really good advice.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why would an RSL make a difference?

Keep in mind I am very new to this sport. The ink is still wet on my A-licenseB|. My thinking behind it is if, for whatever reason ( I know it should never happen) my hand slipped from my reserve handle, below 1000 ft I may not not have time to grab the handle again and deploy in time to land safely. I would think even a few hundred feet may make a difference. If I were below 1000 ft. I would do as I have seen recommended on these forums and deploy my reserve to get as much fabric over my head as possible then cutaway. Makes sense to me, anyway. If I am wrong let me know. I know there is a lot of difference in opinion even among experienced skydivers, and I like to hear all sides.

I yank both simultaneously at a minimum, but by all means get rid of a spinning main. A personal downplane isn't just a possibility, it's a likelihood.

Blue skies,

Winsor

:(Auggie,
Count yourself very lucky.
I ditto what Jimbo asked and Chris's statements.
Two things and please take note.

1. Your hard deck is below recommended altitude and should be if anything higher dependent upon your equipment. (i.e. spinning elip.)

2. You apparently have no idea of the trap you were lucky enough to remove yourself from, and it is luck.
The key is that you found yourself on your back spinning. Ask Chris, Roger Nelson, or any other experienced canopy pilot and you will hear " if/when the nose breaks for the horizon, you're on your back, chop it!" You have at least 1/2 line twist, a canopy accelerating towards the ground, no visual on your altitude, centrifigual force keeping you from getting out of line twist, followed by impact.
I'm so very glad you survived. Count yourself lucky, only lucky.
Chris see if you can get that video from Chicago showing the "break" of the canopy towards the ground and the speed. I'd like a copy. Thanks Bro.

Blues,
J.E.
James 4:8

>Basically, you have no clue.

No personal attacks, even if you think you're right.

Ya know Bill....I didn't really see this as a personal attack.

This new guy...New to the sport, and new to here. Should learn to open his ears, and shut his mouth...I lurked this group for MTHS...before I ever posted. He will learn more, and not piss so many people off.

Not trying to slam the guy...I am just trying to tell him he needs to not be so....I guess "set" with his plans...He has 6 Tandems....He really does not know much about the sport. For him to say "I was sitting with a guy on the Marine Skydiving team....I'll never pull below 4,000....Ect" With not even a solo freefall....?

Ya know I know an EX pro football player...I have throw a ball with him.I guess that makes me Pro Bowl material?
I met Yogi Berra...I guess that makes me a NY Yankee?

This is all we are trying to tell this guy...He will listen, or he wont'....

Right now I wish there was a way for me to "kill file" him.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That would be the Hairy Bob video, for anyone else who saw it. Bob sat there watching it as Roger showed it. The reserve was completing its opening near the tree-tops.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

OK then, Im a whuffo, so what? I like being a whuffo, got that whuffo mentality. You be a skydiver and Ill be a whuffo. Glad we got that cleared up.

I know we got this cleared up, you pull at four grand without telling everyone on your load and that would not be a good thing. You pull at four grand when you are part of a 2 way without telling the partner you are doing the 2 way with and you could kill them. The point is AGAIN, people are just trying to accelerate your learning curve by helping you out. Trust me, if I wanted to learn how to surf, I would welcome every damn thing you said to me.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --