snakes

First reserve ride on jump n° 13

Hi,

3 weeks ago I went to my home DZ to continue my progression/SL , I had done my first 2 jumps in "freefall" the weekend before. Got my rig, jumpsuit, helmet, .... and prepared to go up. We went up to 4000 ft, I was first out, there was another hop n' popper behind me. Got on the step , look at JM , ready ... go ! Jumped off, went in arch, pulled ( I had/have this fear to wait with pulling so that it wasn't really a 3 secs delay) . Pilot chute came out while I watched the plane fly away (wich is usually a good thing , because your head has to be up or in the neck to see that). Pilot chute had pulled the bag out, and lines were out and streched. But then nothing happened, except for me keeping falling and watching the plane flying further away. I gave the pilot chute another chance for a second of 5 before I looked at my handles, grab them (first the right one, then the left one) and pulled them(again left ==> right) ...... Reserve came out smooth and there I was, on jump 13 under a nice blue reserve. After I checked the canopy and had my toggles in my hands, I had to scream off a huge adrenaline-boost with a loud woooooooow! Beside that feeling , I was glad I had done my reserve-procedures well and smooth.

Only minus was that I had totally forgotten to watch/remember where (above which point of the DZ) I was under my reserve. But I knew for myself that that wasn't the most important thing. They had alsoo said that I could have waited a second or 2 longer before going for reserve, or that I could have try to pull at the lines, but I was thought to cutaway and pull reserve at a highspeed malfunction without doubting .
I had searched for my main canopy for a second but I knew that if it was almost completely in its bag, it wouldn't be visible from under my reserve because it would have fallen so fast and it's so small...

Later that day there was another reserve-ride(!) (with personal rig) and when they were looking for the main they found mine is this condition : [URL]http://users.pandora.be/mark.blockhuys/blokki//pictures/24-08-03/DSC00065.JPG[/URL]

I made another jump that they to give the possible fear/consideration no chance. But I was to much focussed on having a good main , so that it wasn't the best jump I've had. But again I had a safe landing...

**Edit: changed the link ....

I gave the pilot chute another chance for a second of 5 before I looked at my handles, grab them (first the right one, then the left one) and pulled them(again left ==> right) ......

I'm hoping you mean pulling rights -> left, because you realy need to cutaway before popping the reserve. :P
Other than that, I'm still barely through AFF so no idea what might cause such a malfunction.. I can only guess but won't do that here.

Leuk om eens een Belg op het forum tegen te komen trouwens ;)

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

It could have been bag lock due to a dodgy stow (bungee too tight or one of the line bites threaded through another line bite).
or
It could simply have been taking its time to come out of the bag due to the sub terminal opening and would have come out given another couple of secs.

You did the right thing to cut away - its better to chop a canopy that really will open than to go in hoping it will when it wont.

Hi Jan,

I jump at Zwartberg too and heard about your malfunction. We don't know eachother but I'm sure you've seen me there...

1. Did you pack yourself? I'm asuming you didn't...
2. Did the baglock pull you up while falling? I mean with your head up and feet down ?
3. How high were you when reserve was open?

you're alive; way to go! :)