k2everest

Where to do my AFF

Hello,

I will be doing my AFF soon. I have 3 options near where I live in California. I can do My AFF at the following locations:

1) Parachute Center Lodi, California
2) Bay Area Skydiving in Byron, CA
3) Adventure Center Skydiving in Hollister, CA

I have heard it is best to do an AFF at a drop-zone that is geared somewhat to students?

Any advice or experience concerning AFF and where you would recommend doing my AFF would be appreciated.

Thanks,
k2everest

All 3 of those are great choices. Call around and talk to the people there. See which one can answer your questions about their DZ the best. AFF is a lot of money, its best to spend it with some one that cares about you and not about getting your money.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I can not tell you unfortunately about Lodi or Byron. I know several of the Jump masters at Byron and know they are very high quality individuals...

I personaly work at Adventure Center Skydiving in Hollister as a Jumpmaster and can tell you some of our strong points and why I recomend Hollister. Not to deter you from the other places though. Do the research yourself. Check out their web pages or even visit and see what you think...

*Hollister has a very proffesional staff, plenty of one on one thorough training, has a large crowd of lower time jumpers or recent graduates(hence plenty of people to hang with with almost zero clicks), quite a few coaches willing to spend time with you to achieve your A license after AFF, a very large landing area off of the airport sheltered by the prevailing coastal winds that hose the bay area for students at many other DZ's in the Bay Area, we really do have phenominal weather at Hollister, minimum 15,000 feet of altitude with the occasional 18,000 foot load (Plenty of freefall:)
If you choose to come out ask for Sebastien ro PM me for more info...

Cheers bro.B|

I'm doing my AFF at Parachute Center mainly b/c of the price and awsome people (even though Byron is closer to me). I also have a friend that started her AFF at Byron a few weeks ago. (It was her first jump as well). But she had nothing negative to say about about Byron. I would suggest going to all 3 DZ's, hang out and chat with people. Go with the one that makes you feel most comfortable. My 2 cents as a newbie. ;)

-T

Aren't we cute?

Pick me! Pick me!

It really does matter how you click with the instructors. You might want to hang out at the DZ's to see where you are most comfortable. All the Bay Area DZ's we've mentioned are great places, most of the folks I know jump at all of them for special occasions and camps. I did my AFF at Byron, and I work there now flying camera. I like it.

Most of them are safe, but casual. I've met a couple of students looking for an "Airborne Ranger" kind of Army camp parachute training experience and I think they'll be disappointed at every DZ I've been to. Skydivers are very serious about being safe and casual.

That wind thing can be an issue.

You're about to spend a ton of money. If you get hooked, you'll spend a ton more. Do some day trips out to the DZ's and check out the vibe.

And whatever you do, get video;)!

What he said... Every DZ in the Bay Area at least from my point of view are all very safety concious... Probably pick one closest to home?

And whatever you do, get video

Know what JP I heard if you actually see anyone on your next skydive it may be the best skydive you ever had!!!;):ph34r::D

Know what JP I heard if you actually see anyone on your next skydive it may be the best skydive you ever had!!!

I can't see them cause I'm making movies, baby!

MAKE LOVE TO MY CAMERA!

Check my gallery tomorrow. I got some beauts yesterday, these are all a little far, but I did SEE PEOPLE!

shutterfly.com/pro/jpkelly/skydive

Are you on for Perris? Whenyougonnaknow?

Hello,

I will be doing my AFF soon. I have 3 options near where I live in California. I can do My AFF at the following locations:

1) Parachute Center Lodi, California
2) Bay Area Skydiving in Byron, CA
3) Adventure Center Skydiving in Hollister, CA

I have heard it is best to do an AFF at a drop-zone that is geared somewhat to students?

Any advice or experience concerning AFF and where you would recommend doing my AFF would be appreciated.

I recommend visiting all three, or at least calling each and talking to them on the phone. I actually wrote a book recently called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy (McGraw-Hill 2003) that should help you sort out the answers you receive. JUMP! includes a series of questions you can ask, and the text will help you understand the answers you receive. JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy is available at many bookstores, skydiving dealers, and on Amazon.com. You can also find quick notes about JUMP! in the "GEAR" section of Dropzone.com.

Blue Skies,

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy