btvr

Recent trouble with airlines

I've traveled 4 times (so far) with my rig this year - once to Florida, once to Houston, and twice to California - all on different airlines. I had absolutely no problems with any of the airlines. I did make sure that I had my Cypress card, the Airtec letter about Cyress and DOT, and if the airline had a policy allowing rigs, I had their letter as well.

I was only questioned once by a TSA dude about my Cypress. I showed him all the info I had, and he was ok with it.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Flew out to California in January, Florida in Feb. and only had the TSA ask me about a piece of metal in my gear bag.

I did make sure to pack my hook knife in my checked baggage.

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

That's good to know. I'm flying out to Illinois on May 31st to my brother's house, will go to Skydive Chicago and I think Chicagoland skydiving. I have my cypress card and printed out Delta's policy on "sport parachutes". Am I missing anything! If it's like the DMV, (You can bring with you 50 forms ect... and 50 will be useless exept for the one you don't have!) I'm screwed

Just flew Delta to and from Phoenix from and to Harrisburg, PA. Coming from Phoenix, they didn't look twice at the bag that had the rig with the Cypress. Went through x-ray and right onto the conveyor belt. They stopped my second bag and opened it. We were trying to figure out exactly what they saw. After going through eveything found out it was the altimeter they had a question with. Once they saw it and I explaind what it was used for, no problem. Went right through.

There have been problems in the UK. Ryan Air have turned friends of mine away (without a refund...) and I was told by airport security on Monday that I was lucky to be flying British Midland, as airlines such as Go (owned by Ryan Air now I think) and Easyjet "won't touch" parachutes. Moral fo the story - check it into the hold and keep quiet.

In Tallahassee Fla I was told "no way" was I going to carry on my rig. I have flown out of this airport for years and have never had a problem but the new security folks flat turned it down (5-7-03) I ask to see the head guy and very nicely explained what it was.........and was turned down again. I was flying Delta, but Delta didn't have the problem the screeners did. For the rest of the trip I ask at each airport and was told no problem. When I came back through Tallahassee and DIFFERENT group of people turn me down again. So this maybe a Tallahassee problem only.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I have travelled to Europe several times and have had problems with security at every airport. I have been told that I am not allowed to keep my rig as carry-on no matter what the airline says. I refuse to store my gear below so what I have had to do every time is get the airline to have the pilot keep my rig in the cock-pit. This was the only way I was able to get pst security. I have never had problems in North America.

I was flying Delta, but Delta didn't have the problem the screeners did.

Take this for what its worth. I've travelled commercial air several times pre and post 9/11. I've commented in [every] threads on this subject.

I learned first-hand this past March that the X-ray card, Manual, USPA letter, Airline approved carry-ons policy, log-book and my Eagle Scout life-membership ID were virtually worthless documents.

TSA will likely have no issue with a rig for carry-on as long as it has no AAD system. That is it .

I was lucky? I was detained for more than an hour for what I insist was an interview/background check more than anything else before six of these guys agreed to allow me to proceed to the gate.

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I've commented in every forum on this subject and posted about the problem I had getting on America West Express last January in Palm Springs. I had all the documentation also on Cypres, USPA letter etc. I got on because I was there early and had time to stand my ground. One of the nice lady TSA Supervisors was aware that Cypres is not dangerous and told the other screeners to let me through and that was the end of it. I did mail the TSA Security Director for Palm Springs a letter explaining everything and he sent me a nice reply to the effect that he would see that his security screeners were made aware of the cooperative effort between USPA, Airtec and TSA in regard to Cypres and parachutes in general. End of story. The next time I'm flying with my gear is to the WFFC on Airtran from Houston Hobby to Bloomington, IL. I'm bringing all the documentation with me including the TSA letter that I have from the Federal Security Director from the Palm Springs airport.

Chris

What airport are you flying to Europe from? I'm waiting for my new rig to arrive, and am planning to go through JFK with it...
also, where could I get all of the paperwork I saw mentioned (even though it might be useless, I'd rather have it on hand, just in case...)
And was it you who suggested placing the rig in the cock-pit, and if so at what point in the process?
Thanks.

Life is like riding in a taxi.
Even when you're not going anywhere the meter is ticking
- Masked & Anonymous