rdesilets

Gear Checks

I have a question for everyone regarding gear checks. I have about 540 jumps, have my S/L JM rating, and am a senior rigger.

Each morning after I take my gear out of my bag I turn on my CYPRES and do a 'full' gear check (e.g. making sure all the handles come out of the pouches, the 3 rings look good, etc.) - the standard soup to nuts once over.

When I went through my FJC many moons ago it was burned into my head to always get a gear check before every jump from a jumpmaster/instructor or another experienced skydiver. There have also been some articles in Parachutist recently on the subject.

To me it makes good sense to do so. However, lately I have been feeling like I am the only one on the load (except for the students) that gets a gear check from another jumper.

I see a lot of people just pop on their rig, and rock and roll. I see tandem masters all the time throwing their gear on as they run to the plane. In other words, I seldom see another person giving a tandem instructor a gear check prior to boarding the plane.

Do all of you experienced folks get a gear check before EVERY jump? If so, why? If not, why not?

The more I think about it I wonder if I am just being overly anal. In other words, lets say I put on my gear, verified that the leg straps were not twisted (my container is a step in), both cutaway handles are in place and stowed securely, my chest strap is routed and secured properly, and my main pilot chute is in the pouch correctly, my altimiter is on my wrist, and my helmet is in my hand -- what else is there? (remember I already checked my reserve pin, 3 rings, etc when I took my gear out of my bag).

Yes, I do 100% see the value that someone else could/will/might see something that you don't and that is the benefit of a gear check -- and I am not questioning the value of a gear check. I am simply asking if as one gains more and more experience in the sport do they need to (or should they) get a gear check before boarding the plane for each jump.

Just looking for other peoples opinions.. ;)

Thanks!!

The more I think about it I wonder if I am just being overly anal.

No, you just haven't become complacent like most people have. I can't count how many times I've asked people where their alt was only to have them run back to get it or another piece of gear. It happens to the best of us sometimes but people forget it's complacency that kills.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i usually have someone check my reserve pin, and main pin (even though i can check the main myself, just by reaching behind, i do this ontop of someone else checking). i'm not sure why, i just do, it was taught to me by my dad, he does it, and so do i. now, i only have someone i know check it, i don't want some random person doing it.

at the beginning of the day, i do a full gear check.

before every jump, i look my pull out over, and glance at everything else. in the plane, i am always trying to look at everyone gear, just to make sure everyone is in (ie, i look at chest straps, leg straps, if i can see the back of the rig, i try to make sure everything is close up tight, like make sure it doesn't look like it's about ready to fly open, like a flap. i check bridle, just by looking, making sure it's not looped out or what ever. and just other little things. that you can see when the rig is closed, with out having to put your hands on it)

i am very safety orinanted. i just hate to have friends go in, or get hurt. it really really sucks.

later

I do a 100% check for the first jump of the day and then after that I check kill line (cocked) pins good, reserve pin good and all the handles are in place... me personally I dont like having poeple flipping my covers open while walking toward or on the plane...thats just me but I know I'm not the only one.... Now I know theres the argument of what if your pin gets moved in the plane.. yes it happens but if everyone was that wooried about it then evryone should be getting a pi check right as there jumping out the door and come on folks..that just doesnt happen ....I mean you can get a check at like 8000 ft and then by 12000 you moved and caused soething to move ...I think if your careful on the ground checking...and vary aware of your movments on the plane you should be safe...NOW on the FLIPSIDE of that if I was to bump hard against something on the plane that didnt feel right then I may ask for a check but other than that GOOD TIMES!!! Now for everyone that wants to get on and say "Oh your so irrisponceable and not safe and yada yada ...... next time your on the plane look around ...I'm just telling what I see >>Granted I'vew only been to 3 diff DZ's but I could probalby count on 1 hand the # of times I've seen pin checks on the way up...does that make it right..NO...but I just call it like I see it!!:S

jason
(unload your guns!!)

Freedom of speech includes volume

When I jumped in the Netherlands, I got a gear check before every jump. Almost everybody did, we just checked each other, regardless of jump numbers. I'm sorry to say that I lost this habit within one day when I came to the states, just because there wasn't a routine of checking each other. Personally, I check my pins every time before I put my rig on (it's a habit, it only takes a couple of seconds), and check the chest/leg straps. Of course, I could forget, and in those cases, a pin-check by someone else can save a lot of trouble. Personally, once I checked a jumper, his cut-away pillow was folded underneith his main lift (just one example to show the usefullness of pin-checks). I've seen other horror stories, like an rsl attached to the main ring :o.

An counter argument I've heard a lot is that people don't like others (low timers, for instance) to 'fiddle around' with their reserve/main closing flaps. I see their point, but in the end, I think pin-checks will prevent way more trouble than they cause.

Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

In the past I never got gear checks. I have probably made over 500 jumps that way. I have recently started jumping at Eloy more. It seems that everyone gets pin checks in the plane. I don't like the feeling of someone messing with my gear when I can't see what they are doing, but I am slowly getting used to it. My friends and I have started doing checks before we load the tram. As for experience people doing it, I was on a couple loads with Airspeed and some other top teams, they do pin checks every time! For me its just a comfort zone. I don't like walking to the door wondering if someone has moved something, so for me I have to trust other people on the plane.

I do get gear checks. Beginning of each day, I look at everything, and then each time I put it on, I have someone else check it out, too. And have seen others get them, and even one unsolicited one (she wasn't finished gearing up, and someone thought she had forgotten her chest strap). I told that guy he could yell at me anytime...

I've even pulled someone aside when something looked funky on a tandem. He saw what I saw, looked closer, and it was o.k. Just looked weird to me.

It's all about preparation and safety...you're not anal.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I check my gear in the morning, similar check to yours. If I have another AFF I with me, we'll give each other pin checks. If I'm alone, I'll take my chances, as I can touch all my pins without help. If I'm doing Tandem I'll do a pre check. I won't let anyone but a Tandem master near my gear. I don't like some sweating 30 jump wonder messing with my gear before exit.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

we usually get checked by a JM before we get on the plane.

students (and people jumping student gear) get another check on the way up.

visual checks don't hurt, but physical checks should be done by people who wont mess it up...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

In the UK all experienced (i.e. A licence plus) jumpers have to get "checked out" by somebody holding a minimum of a B licence before each jump - BPA rule - and usually the person who checks signs for you on the manifest sheet to show that you have been checked. Students are checked by Instructors.

IMHO it is a good thing as getting a check becomes a habit and it means that most Brits I know will still get flight line checks from others even when jumping abroad.

Vicki

As a rule at my DZ, you have to check and re-check your gear prior to get it on, on the ride to altitude, we cross check altimeter readings, and then the pins when we are almost ready to jump, and I'm not talking about only 'newbies' like your truly, but also experienced jumpers do the same, I like that very much, in fact, once, I was getting ready to dive and one fellow skydiver told me to wait a sec and pointed to my pilot, apparently it was a little bit too exposed, maybe wasn't nothing, but I liked the feeling of someone watching me.

I consider checking your gear a VERY important routine.

I always check my gear before I get someone else to check. It ensures that you aware of what is needed to ensure safety.
When someone else checks it I will also over look them checking my kit (what is visable of course)
Kevin 922 put a psot not so long ago regarding a PC in tow due to a misrouted bridle in incidents.
Now if I hadnt of noticed this on a check and someone else did I would be eternally grateful to them a: cheaper jump I.E. no reserve repack and no purchase of beer for that 1st and b: No mal to deal with which could of been avoided.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I do a full gear check just about every jump, it only takes a few seconds on a sport rig to really check the main things. I'm the nervous fidgity type so on the way up I also check out things pretty regularly like my BOC, is it still where it is supossed to be? Is it where it is supossed to be??

I do see quite a few people who never ever give it a second thought and don't do regular gear checks and that scares me quite a bit...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Our group of skydivers gets a systematic gear check before boarding the plane on each flight, this is always done. We think it is very important, even if we check our equipment each time before putting it on we can miss something (it has happened). Unfortunately this is not common practice unless for students or recent license holders. A few seconds are nothing compared to the trouble we can avoid.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I do a full check when I get to the DZ before the first jump of the day then I get at least 2 more checks from someone else before getting on the plane.Then on the ride up I'm checking all my handles and straps and rings before I go in case something was missed.Then I'll get another check after packing.And again before getting in the plane.And so repeated.

Heya, Tonto.

I won't let anyone but a Tandem master near my gear. I don't like some sweating 30 jump wonder messing with my gear before exit.

I hope you don't think I was saying I did a gear check on a tandem guy! LOL! We were loading, and the TM was there, talking to a student. I saw something which, to me, appeared odd or out of place, and I got someone other than the tm (who was busy) that knew what they were doing to eyeball it. He pronouced it good, explained to me why it looked odd, thanked me for getting him, and off we all went for a successful jump. I didn't touch the rig, and wouldn't have. Had this other waaaaaaaaaay experienced jumper not been there, I prolly would've said something to the TM, but I would not touch something I had no clue about.

Just clarifying.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Not only do I do a personal laundry list of gear checks, I also do a visual on the jumpers around me. I look for three main things: Cutaway pillow is in position. (They sometimes get tucked under the webbing.) Chest strap routing is correct. Bridle/PC are secure.

Not only am I "anal" about this, I have gotten all my friends to start doing it. Everyone should, you may save a friends life one day. This is a very unforgiving sport.

One word: TRUST.
My personal gear, I check myself, beginning of the day, pack myself and jump myself. I will recheck my main pin, handles and riser covers before putting the rig on each jump, but I will rarely, if ever ask for a gear check in the plane before jumping, unless I am bumped hard or something, and then I will only ask someone I know well and completely trust to check my pin. As for tandems, I check and recheck everything on the ground before I put my gear on, for each jump and then, I won't let anyone near my container on the plane, unless it is another TM or an LO that I trust. One last connections check and drogue check before jump run, and I am outta there. - Tom

as a footnote, tandem or fun jumping, it's always better to keep a plane spinning on the ground waiting for you to check your gear, than to rush to the plane without all your shit in order. I'd rather be hazed by the load for being late than discover a twisted leg strap half way up to jump run. Take your time out there. The plane can wait, safety can't.

It seems like people used to do a lot more gear checks approaching jump run altitude that they do today. After returning from a long absence, whoever I'm jumping with usually wants to check me out, and that's OK with me. But I do see why people wouldn't want just anyone diddling with their pins and flaps either. Other than opening a flap, the rule should be "look, don't touch" and if you think you see something, talk about it before you go attempting major surgery on somebody else's rig. Also the newfangeled flaps all have to be closed back up, in the old days velcro was a no brainer, you just pressed it back down. Of course we also had killer belly bands in the old days and discovered at least 3 pilot chutes wrapped a turn around the belly band, so we may have saved someone's life there (nobody wore AAD's in those days either).

The most horrific discovery I ever heard of was a friend who simply didn't didn't like the "feel" of this other guy's reserve container, it seemed to bulge unusualy right below the pins. He did a little bit of finger prying and discovered a BIC PEN stuck through both closing loops, as a half assed sort of temporary packing pin! He was able to extract the pen and the guy decided to jump. Well, to make a long story short, guess who had to cutaway a spinner on that jump ?

So even though the BOC setup is infinitely safer than the older PC setups, I'm convinced gear checks save lives and we should never "outgrow" them.

P.S. Best gear check ever was on a cameraman at Otay Lake, CA. The question put to him, on jump run, was, "hey man, where's your rig ?", to which he replied, "whaddaya mean where's my...oh shit!".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I gear check every jump, myself and a student if i have one on the flightline and in the plane regardless of 5 or 5000 jumps, safety isnt a dirty word in my book however complacency(spelling) is. Some may think its cool to just chuck it on, kick the tyres light the fires and go. However more fool be to them. I enjoy jumping and wanna do it next time aswell. Not be in a wheel chair caus i didn't think it was cool to get my buddy to give me the once over on the flightline or in the plane.

blue skies long swoops
Grant a.k.a "The Wookster"
Euphoria freefly
http://www.freeflyeuphoria.com

Well, If U add it all up its about a safe skydive nothing else. Im confident on my own packing etc..But that doesnt mean I dont need gear checks. I usually have someone Jumper I know give me a Quick check and Im always looking at my other jumpers so I may spot something and prevent an accident and save their life etc. Most Jumpers that get good and have experience should never say I never need anyone to check me. We all should look after everyone in this sport . I really dont give a Damn how many Jumps U have Experienced or not Experienced Safety can never be Compromised. We need this type of attitude everywhere at every DZ. It keeps Us jumping for a long time..;)