skybytch

talking to a dead man

Thirty five jumps. Either 16 or 30 of those on a Sabre2 150 - he's called three times and said both so we're not real sure about that. 160 pounds body weight.

Wants a Stiletto 107 or 97. Can't understand why we won't sell one to him; it's just a canopy after all and he has the money.

What worries me is that someone out there just might be blinded by the dollar signs and sell this guy a Stiletto that he'll load at 1.86... at less than 40 jumps...

If they do, sure hope he gets solid red so the blood doesn't show so bad for whoever buys it off his heirs.

Shit. This might just be a case where a carefully-let word to his DZO might be good. If the DZO is a dick, well, maybe some dz.commer knows him.

Yes, he can survive. After all, we have evidence in that a student picked up a rig with a tiny Stiletto and didn't kill himself on one jump. He just has to repeat that, right?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OMG I JUST figured out who you are...

This is the Seattleite who bought that Raven-M you had on the shelf forever....woo hoo... all packed up and even with our weather its been along for the ride for 10 jumps so far.

Oh and thanks again for the deal....its all packed up in my Infinity that actually fits me:)
I may have to come south this winter for a few jumps... right now I wish I could.. anyplace with sun.. its raining... gee what a news flash

As far as the idiot on the phone... he does not sound like he will get to be an old skydiverB|

Amazon

There's a guy that I know that doesn't get it either. He can't freefly, can't pilot his canopy and is completely unaware of those around him, and he wants to donwsize to a cobalt 150. Several people, including me, have spoken to him but he just won't listen. He thinks it's just DZ politics. I just hope when his luck runs out someone else isn't in his way.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

But you could sell him a 89 Vengence, that packs the same as a 97 Stiletto. I think a 84 Velocity is around the same pack volume too. There are other choices if he wants to go even smaller.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Stiletto that he'll load at 1.86

You might want to remind him that at a loading above 1.6/1.7-ish, the performance is killed on a Stilleto, that's beyond the canopy's powerband.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How much cash did he have in his pocekt? I can sew one up tonight and sell it to him for 1/2 of what you'd sell it to him for!! End result is the same.he is out money and dead, no matter whcih of us sells hims a canopy!!
Should I use the old bedsheets or the plastic tarp for that ZP feel???
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

A bunch of folks from my DZ sat around a table with a new guy (30 jumps) last week, and tried to convence him that he wasn't ready to downsize. He wasn't talking about going that small, but I would hardly be surprised to find out he's they guy that wants a 97.

The thing that was said to him that seemed to sink in best was, "you'll learn faster under a bigger canopy." He wants to learn the cool stuff right away, and doesn't understand that a mistake landing a big canopy that might get you a bruise, gets you an IV and some morphine under a small one.

Lisa have you thought about telling him about this great big community of skydivers who are right online.. at Dropzone.com..... like getting all the information he can.. so he can make an informed purchase...???

Amazon aka Jeanne from SeattleB|

I really wish I had the balls (and backing from my management) to do what one guy at our place of business once.

This was with one of our internal clients and not actually a paying customer, but still . . .

The guy actually said to the client, "I'm sorry. I can't help you. You're too fuckin' stupid." and then walked away.

Of course, he got severely reprimanded for it, but still, some people need to have that said to them every once in awhile.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lisa
This problem/concern of small canopies and poor
judgment seems to get worse every day. I have been looking for a soft copy "on-line" of an article
entitled..." The Unnecessary Risk Category, by George Pilkington"...I know it's outdated but I liked
the way it was written. As instructors and couches I think we have to do our best to educate new people in the sport even when they fight us tooth and nail.
P.S.
When do you think they will release a canopy with
the name WRATH of GOD!
[email protected]:1
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

No doubt. Wrath Of God 42, be the next kid on the block to have it and you too can feel the wrath of god!!! I just can't believe someone can't show this guy just one ugly video of an ugly landing under a nice small napkin to sway his opinion. Survival of the fittest I suppose...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

This kind of thing is going to continue to happen until:

A. We as skydivers stop letting newbies get in over their heads. Bytch is right about not letting this guy have one, but there are many out there that will sell him one in a second.

B. USPA says enough, and puts down a BSR that limits wingloads based on experence.

C. FAA steps in and REALLY screws things up.

These things are comming. Too many people died under perfect canopies for the last few years...The answer is #1....The others will get forced on us.

While I think education not requlation is the answer....Regulation SHOULD happen until the newbies know enough to know they don't know enough.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334