mdowling

Canopy Wrap - Cutaway

Matt,

My name is John. I was the one congratulating you on your survival.

Just a thought, maybe this should be re-posted in incidents. The incidents forum is not neccessarily for events that end in a death, but bad situations that can be learned from.

Kudos once again on coming through alive. If you ever show up at x-keys again, ask for Daless. I would be proud to jump with you.

For those reading this thread, one thing that should be mentioned, that I think Matt is too modest to do, is the incredible way that he handled the situation after the fact. I have seen skydivers in fist fights over smaller matters. He didn't scream, yell or act with any animosity towards the other skydiver.

It needs to be noted that Matt is a stand up dude!

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Just a thought, maybe this should be re-posted in incidents. The incidents forum is not neccessarily for events that end in a death, but bad situations that can be learned from.

Fine by me. Maybe one of the folks who moderates this thing can make a cross post happen. Seems like AD's near miss deserves to be there too, then.

It needs to be noted that Matt is a stand up dude!

Technically, I skidded the reserve landing in on my rear a bit. But I was glad to be standing shortly thereafter. :P

Seriously, though. Thanks and good meeting you. PM'd you as well.

First, glad that you are alive and well. Second, thanks for posting the story. It is something for all of us to reflect upon and hopefully learn. Finally, but most importantly, what about the other guy? So far all the responses have been positive and friendly to all.

However, I hope that someone (e.g. the S&TA) has had a serious sit down with the guy who crashed into you. From my read of your story, it appears that the other jumper caused the incident. You survived only because you thought and acted fast - accompanied by some good fortune (although as an aside, I always say that luck is when preparation meets opportunity - so kudos to you). You could, and perhaps should, be dead. I witnessed two people die from a similar incident. The bottom line is that the other jumper made a serious error and almost killed both of you. The next time everyone might have a different outcome. This jumper needs to understand what he did wrong as well as the gravity of what he did wrong - and never repeat it.

Just my 2 cents. Am I off the mark here or do others agree with me?

This jumper needs to understand what he did wrong as well as the gravity of what he did wrong - and never repeat it.

I think that the other jumper is very aware of his mistake, the consequences, and how this story could have, and most likely should have played out.
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The other jumper very humbly apologized when I saw him after his hospital visit. I agree with Jimbo's assessment. I don't think anyone has to worry about him spiraling above the landing pattern again. Good people make mistakes. That's why they're called accidents.

The most important thing is health first, learning lessons second. I've spoken to the other jumper twice by phone since Saturday only to see how he's doing - which I'm happy to report is much better. No surgery needed on his leg problem and there's a chance he could be jumping soon.

A quick update on the cutaway story: My Sabre2 is back from repairs at Performance Designs and flies awesome. They did a fantastic job and charged me a ridiculously low price.

After giving me a new lineset free of charge, PD made several patches, replaced a bottom skin of a cell and even test jumped the canopy. Including shipping, that came to the astonishing price of $68.

Donna in PD's customer service kept me very informed as the canopy was working its way through the repairs process. In short, PD rocks and they just got a lifetime customer in me to be sure.