Harksaw

Packing tips?

I am looking to start packing to support my ever-expensive skydiving habit. I am comfortable packing my Sabre plus sabre2s, and am confident with my openings on these. I have about 60 jumps. Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom? How do I get people to become confident in my pack jobs?

i don't pack for a living, but when i pack for friends, esp. if its a canopy i havent packed before, i ask the person how they like it packed, pro, flat, psyco, nose open, nose tucked, nose rolled.

after a while you will get to know what canopies like what done to them as well.

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

If you pack it, they will come...

In other words, if an opening exists on the packing floor, sit down with whoever is in charge and get clearance to pack on that floor. If it's a free for all, and there is enough business, just start packing. Be neat about it and be courteous. At some point you will find that you've become rather efficient. Keep in mind that officially, you must be a rigger or under the direct supervision of a rigger to pack a main other than your own. (direct supervision is read rather loosely in many circumstances)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i would say talk to the other packers on the dz. find out if there is a need for another packer. i mean, if there are too many, then no one makes any money. and if you just jump in with out talking to the other packers, your steping on there toes pretty much. they have been there longer, it's their turf your steping on;):)
you need to make sure though you don't guarantee the packjob, you could get screwed. i know packin kathy does (she and here group are located zhills, and go to most big boogies), but she's a rigger, and most of her packers are. so it's not a big deal.

later

*** Keep in mind that officially, you must be a rigger or under the direct supervision of a rigger to pack a main other than your own. (direct supervision is read rather loosely in many circumstances)

It's early and I haven't had coffee yet, but I seem to remember that they more clearly defined what "under supervision" means, and I believe it's "Rigger must be there to answer questions and willing to assume responsibility for the pack job" - but dude, I've packed many, many thousands of them and just use the following rule "Pack it like you're going to jump it" - good luck!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

It's early and I haven't had coffee yet, but I seem to remember that they more clearly defined what "under supervision" means, and I believe it's "Rigger must be there to answer questions and willing to assume responsibility for the pack job" - but dude, I've packed many, many thousands of them and just use the following rule "Pack it like you're going to jump it" - good luck!

I covered the legal issues in a Parachutist feature last year...it's reprinted on The Ranch web site under the S&TA area. It's article 11 at http://ranchskydive.com/safety/index.htm. The article lays out the legal requirements under FAA regulation, but most DZ's are pretty slack in term of enforcement.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Someone I really trust (stinky jim) had showed a lot of faith in me when I packed his stilletto for the first time. He told me as long as the brakes are stowed, the slider is quartered, pilot chute is cocked and the lines are even/straight, and I dont give him a hard pull, everything else is body position ;). Now I dont know about the body position part but everything else made perfect sense. Ever sense I have felt a lot more comfortable packing eliptical canopies. So start with friends and work on from there, if you do a good job word of mouth goes a long way. Before you know it you will be turnin away people cuz you are too busy.