Push

Batwing

I'm thinking of trying a batwing exit from a supercharged C182. I know that these exits are safe from our planes because the experienced jumpers at our DZ do them occasionally. Anything I should know before I climb out? How far should I climb the wing, for instance?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

From a C182 (as I understand):

Climb out to a poised. Grab the front edge of the wing with both hands and hang off of it. Then climb the wing hand over hand until you're far away from the strut and step. Now swing yourself as hard as you can so that your legs hook over the front edge of the wing. Supposedly the wind makes this easy. Now let go with your hands. You are hanging from the wing, head to earth, supported by the wind (like a bat).

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Negative. Actually, most people I know call it "bat hanging." Just get out on the step with your hands as far out on the strut as you can. Best for me out at that point is for my right hand to be wrapped under the strut, up near the juncture with the wing, and the left hand wrapped over the top. Swing your right leg up and then your left, hooking your toes over the leading edge of the wing while locking your ankles. Make damn sure you are far enough out that you don't hit the step when you release. Not a big deal. The longest I have ever been able to hang in that manner is about 20 seconds.

Chuck

That's the way it was explained to me, but yours sounds easier. Cool, thanks.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

What Joe doesn't know can't hurt him;)B|

Actually, a lot of the experienced folk did it from our planes. I'm not sure if Joe is aware of that though...

Could I damage the wing like that? I figure they're built to withstand a much worse beating from strong turbulence.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Whats the problem with batwings in Canada? I've never heard of any regulations against them, did I miss something? Can't say I've ever seen one fly, but I'm only a newbie to skydiving.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

We have a terminology problem.

1. I suspect that the original poster was referring to "bat hanging" with his toes wrapped around the leading edge of the wing.
Bat hanging was banned at some Canadian DZs after someone almost ripped the tail off a jump plane circa 1982. Also metal hooks on boots do nasty things to airplane paint.

2. Precision used to build a tapered main canopy called a Bat Wing in the mid 1990s.

3. Most aero clubs banned "bat wings" in the late 1940s after Leo Valentine died. The most of the original bat wings had wood or metal stiffeners to hold them rigid. They looked great, but did little to improve freefall glide. Leo Valentine's last pair of bat wings were built of wood with fabric covering and resembled airplane wings. Unfortunately, Leo's locking mechanism jammed and he got into a un-recoverable spin.

Riggerrob, your a voice of confusion clarity. I think you hit the likely posibilities related to skydiving....

Regarding the canopy "batwing" I loved my 134 and put about 1000. Nice canopy but not the best reputation. A lot of it was/is from people that have never even jumped one

Regarding a "Bat-hang" A lot of plane owners dont like you doing it. Getting your legs kicked up and over is not as easy as it sounds with a 80mph wind. Once up you can hang for awhile before you slip. Usually long enough to get someone to take a pic of you looking back onto the plane upsidedown by your toes.

Regarding "bat wings" well lets not.....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I have jumped a "splat wing" 120 a handfull of times.. I liked it pretty well.. openings seemed crisp and the turns were pretty fast from what I remember... nothing all to special other than looking up at the tail of the canopy ans seeing the "bat wing" shape..w as kinda cool...
-yoshi

As previously stated, the ideal place to bring your feet/legs up to the leading edge of the wing is where the strut and wing meet. Just grab the strut in that area and pull your upper body as close upward toward the wing while swinging the lower part of your body over the leading edge. During this transition, you will want to have alot of the lower body across the leading edge, not just the toes in contact with the leading edge, so that bending the knees and moving the upper part of the body now away from the wing will give you a comfortable position to get the upper part of you feet and toes in the correct position. As the position becomes more comfortable, you can then slowly straignten your arms and release your grip on the strut. Believe it or not, it's easier to do in the air than it is on the ground! So...if you can do it on the ground, it will be no sweat to do it in the air!!!

Jon