screwbag

[crazy]

:SI have noticed, that many new jumpers with 50 jumps or less have been trying to preach about skydiving to jumpers with hundreds or thousands of jumps. these newbies will approach a very accomplished canopy pilot just to tell them how to do their landing approach, or that they are being a danger to others... I'm all for being safe, and i want everyone to go without injury through the term of their skydiving, But please stop to think about who you are talking to when preaching. that would be like me telling joe jennings how to fly camera....c'mon i have 107jumps, how dumb would that be!??!

I work in a gear store, and people always try to tell me what gear that someone else should jump, i always welcome advice, and admit that i have a lot to learn, our store is very conservative and safety concious, we won't put a 30 jump wonder on a 150 and we won't let someone downsize until approved by a qualified canopy skills coach. So please just give a moments thought before regurgitating the first jump course to those folks who really could have a lot to teach you.

has anyone else seen this at their DZ?

I'm new to this sport and looking back I've had times that I've thought something wasn't right. In the past I had the mindset that I'm new and they don't want to hear from me but I've seen that even the most experienced skydivers can get complacent and need a safety reminder, even from a newbie.
Don't think that someone who has less than 50 jumps is useless in this sport. I try to learn everything I can and I probably know more than most people with 30 jumps. I have ALOT to learn but so do most of us.

> So please just give a moments thought before regurgitating the first
>jump course to those folks who really could have a lot to teach you.

While I agree, I also think that people should not hesitate to give advice/help to someone else, as long as they are competent to give it. The other person can always disregard it. Right now we are seeing a dozen or so fatalities a year because people are jumping canopies they can't control; if anything, that's an argument that we need people to give other jumpers more advice, not less.

I've been told dozens of things by less experienced jumpers. I've been told how to land by people who just landed in a cloud of dust, been told that I should try AFF instead of static line (ironically, this was just before I took up an AFF level 4) and told how to approach a big way by someone with 250 jumps just before I left for the 300-way. It just doesn't bother me - I know they're trying to help.

To assume that anyone with a lot of jumps is incapable of learning anything from a less experienced jumper is just plain silly.

Assume nothing about the people you jump with regardless of the numbers.
I have a lot to learn at 68 jumps and I listen to everyone.

I HOPE that when I have 1000 jumps that I am still listening and learning even if the person talking has only 150.

You have the responsibility to sort thru all the information that comes your way, then make important decisions for yourself. You can't get hurt listening to someone with fewer jumps than yourself. You can get hurt by making wrong decisions.

Although I do agree with you, its to a point.

People learn a certain amount of skill and are excited. They want to help other people learn the skill they just learned, so they may not go through something they may have just happened to the first jumper.

This is just human nature, it happens.

I've learned quite a bit from jumpers with far less jumps then I have (although I only have 510 jump right now). Hell, I've been taking Skydive U. coaching jumps from a guy that has less then half of the number of jumps I have. He's very talented and has spent a lot of time and money learning what he's learned, so I understand that he's much better at RW then I am, so I definately sit down and listen.

Moral of the story: You can always learn something from someone else regardless of jump numbers AND jump numbers don't always tell the whole story.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe the difficulty here is junior jumpers "offering" advice.
Yes, I too have been offended by jumpers - junior to me by thousands of jumps - trying to tell me how to do maneuvers that I mastered decades ago.

On the other hand, we just might learn something if we listen.
Many years ago I was befriending a young French AFF student, inquiring about what skills he planned to practice during his next dive, etc. The next thing I knew I was trying the same lesson and doing rolls his way. His method allowed me to finish rolls on heading for the first time!
Yippee!
I was so excited that I wrote a magazine article about French Rolls and imported the technique to North America!

In conclusion, junior jumpers should be cautious about "offering" advice.

I am not so bold as to say that even an AFF student couldn't teach me something, i have just been annoyed by a small group of idividuals who just haven't done their homework, and just like to hear themselves talk. I feel that even though i have done more research than a lot of jumpers, i still know that i have much to learn, and as the sport progresses there is always more to learn.
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree to a large degree. I see your point.

------------however---------

I've also been schooled by people with a 100 or 200 jumps before. I'm an old dog so to speak so many things can be easily taken for granted.

New eyes can show you alot.
-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Aldo I gree with you, I think is not what you say but how you say it, if you come with a sky god tone with only a couple hundred jumps to preach something that a persons with low jumps probably never experience first hand. I take good care when I give advice specially when is not asked for and I love to receive comments that can help, is all about attitude.;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

That's crazy!! I would never preach to anyone about something that I am still learning about!

Well, you may want to rethink that... or rephrase it any way.

Lets take Freeflying. I'm still learning it and I definately don't suck at it. I teach it all the time.

I'm a very good rigger. I teach rigging stuff but I'm learning about it more an more all the time.

You get the point....

-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's crazy!! I would never preach to anyone about something that I am still learning about!

Well, you may want to rethink that... or rephrase it any way.

Lets take Freeflying. I'm still learning it and I definately don't suck at it. I teach it all the time.

I'm a very good rigger. I teach rigging stuff but I'm learning about it more an more all the time.

You get the point....

-
-

Exactly.. this is a sport where someone always knows more then you.. about something at least and maybe you know more about something else...
Never stop learning!