nightjumps

Was Airborne School a factor in deciding to learn skydiving?

I have to agree on JM school. Best Army school I have been to. I went at Fort Benning in 1998. Not a "muscle" course like Ranger school, but very demanding. It was the first course I took in the Army that I was honestly afraid I might fail. The instructors were very professional and would help you with practice and extra instruction as much as you wanted. They would not cut you any slack come test time, however.

CDR

I agree, jumpmaster school was psychologicaly demanding. One guy I sport jumped with flunked out twice before passing. He kept missing things on the rigger check.

When I went through, my pardner was a smoke jumper. He was also a squad leader in the smokejumpers which is another name for jumpmaster. We took turns throwing out a cargo bundle, making sure it was clear, and then having a jumper stand in the door. We knew lot's of guys flunked this part because they would forget to check if the bundle was clear before having a jumper get ready. So anyhow he threw the bundle out but didn't check it out long enough, only a very short peek and then he told me to stand in the door. So they flunked him out.

I'll never forget jumping with a wooden ammo box filled with gravel. This was stuffed inside a P.O.E. bag, with a red ball on top which you pulled to release it on a lowering line. It was all you could do to waddle toward the door and fall out the plane. Those were the days!.....Steve1

Your right about that. So many things to check in so little time! I remember my fingers bleeding from doing so many JMPI's those two weeks.
Dom

Hey bigun, Doc Phelps here (ODA 552 Co B 2nd BN 5th SFG) Ya gonna be at the King Air in Skiatook on the 22nd(After Dale's record attempt on the 21st?

Jumping in 1977 gave me the kohoonies to do just about anything. Who knows why I took so long to get back in when I ets in '80. I was parasailing in Cancun, when I landed my wife said, "Brings back memories, huh?" I started AFF the next month!

See ya the DZ

Ya gonna be at the King Air in Skiatook on the 22nd(After Dale's record attempt on the 21st?

Hey Steve,

Ya know, I've been so focused on the event, I hadn't thought about that. That might be a good idea. Get some wing time. Thanks for the invite. See you then.