turtlespeed

How do you Deal with it?!

I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up before...But I am going to err on the side of reiterating the obvious: Hangin' out at the DZ is not much fun for alot of our significant others. So, my curiosity is: How do you deal with it...
Personally, I had to strike a deal...But I get out there Friday night (The DZ usually gets all together and goes somewhere, like Chili's or the local pool bar, she likes to go then), and Saturday all day, and again we usually get all together and go somewhere. If Saturday is bad weather, then I change it out for Sunday. I wonder, sometimes, if I could survive if I had to cut back any more.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I decided I would not let her run my life....now I'm
raising 3 kids alone....but still jumping!
...mike:)
P.S. She would have cut me away in the end anyway
,so no point in quitting jumping!
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I quit for quite a few years, but I knew I could come back eventually if I wanted to. And I did.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Those of us that have S.O.'s or kids constantly have this conversation.
I aggree Dave. It is a very serious topic and should not be treated lightheartedly.
I have only been in the sport for 8 months...As much as I would already like to, I just don't have the insight that can only be gained with experience. But I assure you, I take this very seriously.

I would hate to be put in a position where I had to make a choice. I really want to avoid that if I can.

Someone told her, once, that the only way that she was going to understand what it's really all about would be for her to do it.
I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
I do think, one day, I'll be able to include either one or both of them in my little hobby. I can't wait until that happens. Then I can share the joy that I feel when I am flying.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Went through several girlfriends before the current wife. She's now a jumper (doesn't have the landing gene for some reason even though she's an excellent RW and passable sitflyer).

Now the argument is who stays on the ground with the daughter.

I win, it was my sport first.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Funny I had a similar conversation at the DZ yesterday. I was telling them that I am content to be single until I find a "good" one that skydives and rides, or at least skydives.

I was with a girl like that before but I let her leave for Taiwan. She even drank beer too.

But she is coming back this way. hopefully we can work things cause I think in the grand scheme of things she is a keeper.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

My wife is into gardening and the cats. I'm pretty much gone all weekend and she doesn't notice. She putters in the yard all day, and sleeps with the cats at night. We both enjoy the arrangement. No kids.

It has been suggested that she has a boyfriend. As long as it doesn't interfere with skydiving it is OK with me.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

[QUOTE]It is a very serious topic and should not be treated lightheartedly.[/QUOTE]

I understand that it is a very serious topic, however I have no experience with it as I do not have a "significant other". I imagine the people that say they stopped dating girls/guys bc of skydiving are joking on the surface but deep down are hitting a chord of seriousness. Some people I have already met at the DZ would make very poor boyfriends/girlfriends bc of the level of involvement they have with themselves skydiving. Of course, on the other hand, I've met people that skydive for a living, skydive in the spare time, but would still, from an outward judgement make very good boyfriends/girlfriends.

I think its an attitude thing, and if you truly love your significant other then it will survive your skydiving "habit", or rather it won't, and maybe its better off that way in some long far fetched destiny type way?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

until I find a "good" one that skydives and rides, or at least skydives

Even if you find one like that, they can quit [:/]. Then the pressure increases. Really.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hangin' out at the DZ is not much fun for alot of our significant others. So, my curiosity is: How do you deal with it...

Actually why does it have to be skydiving? Why not surfing? Or motocross?

Whatever sport it is, a healthy relationship will make room for the other's passions - shared or not. I don't surf, but go to the beach every now and then to hang while he surfs. I go to the DZ, just to hang and smell airplane fuel, I don't expect him to go and hang.

LA*

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

thats why ive been single since jump 21. i couldnt handle pretending to be having fun at the zoo with my now ex girlfreind while wishing i was at the dz jumping. ive been single for 2 years and never regreted it.
HOOK YOUR DREAMS ON THAT JUMP PLANE BEFORE SOMEONE HOOKS HER DREAMS ON YOU.

I jump- and try to keep a balance - My wife is 100% whuffo- But she does understand a little about the sport- and hasn't denied me - yet - But I have made up my mind I will not quit jumping - Wether or not we stay together, I'll always jump. What better therapy for a cutaway than some good skydives, right? And if your SO really loves you for who you are, and you are a skydiver, why would they deny you your passion? Seems logical to me.

Easy Does It

wow, good topic, as i was "talking" about this tonight with my gf. i travel a lot and she has a younger child, so weekends and usually one weeknight are all we have had for the past 2 years. nonetheless, i am pretty active, teaching snowboarding (luckily at a mt near her house) on weekends in the winter, riding/racing mt bikes in the summers, and now, having started AFF, have a lot going on. i only take a day to myself to hit the DZ, but I actually have only been getting a jump in every 2 weeks. i am pretty unyielding though in that i 'take' a day every weekend to ride or jump, to keep my sanity, and see her on friday, and saturday night through sunday. she really is busy as a nursing student and busy with her child, so joining me is not an option... suffice to say, with regard to AFF, i am choosing the first option you listed B|:P

great thread

I've been married for almost 10 years skydived for 3 and have a 3 year old boy and a 3 month old girl. Wife made the mistake(as she says) of buying me my first jump and the rest is history.(I think it was the best thing she ever did for me)

But one thing I have always tried to do in my life is now worry about tomorrow just live today for today. So if I get a whole weekend at the dz that's great if I don't well I don't let it get to me.
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

I struggled with this for years. The main problem is I can't just nip to the DZ for a quick fix. I have to get on a boat. Drive for a couple of hours and then wait. 5 hours travelling really means its not worth going for just a day. I came up with 2 solutions and have put one in to practice and am half way through the other...

1) I set up a club and established a drop zone (took 7 months but it was mostly in work time:P
2) I'm learning to fly so I can cut my travelling time down to an hour (8 hours in only 37 to go!).

Don't tell me I'm not serious about this sport!:)

I'm very well aware of the potential for this sport to infect people's lives (As evidenced by the overwhelming majority of people who voted for kiss my ass in the above poll, among other things).

I'm also very well aware of my own addictive personality. I used to like smoking pot a lot. I used to like shrooming a lot. And when I begin to talk and think incessantly about skydiving, I find my behavior and thought processes frighteningly familiar.

So I was inspired by this thread to sit and have a long conversation with my girlfriend about my skydiving last night. I told her that jumping is very important to me, but that she is also, and if the slightest hint of resentment begins to brew about my jumping, I want her to tell me. I know she would never make me choose between skydiving and her. But that doesn't mean that my skydiving could never get to a point where she would need to make her own decision about things; I never want it to get to that point.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

I think that SO's who don't enjoy hanging out at the DZ are uptight and boring. I mean, perhaps it would be more fun if you were jumping, but it's always entertaining being on the ground. There are a lot of fun people with great personalities to keep you company.
I've spent plenty of time on the ground...going thru AFF training doesn't allow you to jump nearly as frequently as some might like, especially when you have financial limitations. But I enjoy every minute up at the DZ, and I can't think of a single person there that I dislike!:)

Blondes do have more fun!

I think that SO's who don't enjoy hanging out at the DZ are uptight and boring. I mean, perhaps it would be more fun if you were jumping, but it's always entertaining being on the ground. There are a lot of fun people with great personalities to keep you company.
I've spent plenty of time on the ground...going thru AFF training doesn't allow you to jump nearly as frequently as some might like, especially when you have financial limitations. But I enjoy every minute up at the DZ, and I can't think of a single person there that I dislike!:)

i am a happy single :)
last girl didn't last long, i wanted to go skydiving she wanted something else :)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013