stilettodude

legal age to jump???

Legally, there is no minimum age requirement anymore. The last FAR revision took out the 16 year limit.

USPA's rules, that most DZs agree to follow, specify that the legal age of majority (18 in most states, 21 in a couple) for tandem, and 16 for solo.

Realistically, DZOs have to worry about being sued. Unless a person is of the age of majority, they can't sign a contract (the liability waiver) period. No number of parents, relatives, etc. can sign away that person's right to sue. So, a DZO has to weight the risk of letter someone jump without a waiver vs. the added income that letting that person jump brings in. Some let 16 year olds jump, most don't.

Depends on country too.

My Daughter jumped at 8 and has done a couple since then. Youngest in SA is 3 years 11 months, and if you think he was scared, watch the video. Drove to boarding point in his own battery powered jeep! http://www.jsc.co.za/News.aspx?id=15

Normal jumping here is 16 with parental concent until 21.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I was thinking about this the other day, and heres another thing you gotta taken into account. 2 years ago I was a lot shorter than my already short ~5"6". The harnesses of the DZs sport gear hardly could be called fitting me, yet they are safe, The MLW is too long, the hackey is too far, etc. If I lost a couple more inches or had started 2 years ago instead of 3 months ago, I dont know if I would feel safe jumping that gear. I don't know what really short/young people do.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I dropped my son when he was 12 yrs old. He did just fine. I know of another guy who dropped his son ay 11 yrs old. You may find that at 12 yrs old, a kid who had been living with a skydiving father knows a lot more than he usually gets credit for. They are allowed to drive things like tractors, handle guns when hunting, drive snowmobiles, motor boats, etc. Search out his learning level, and ask around.

USPA's rules, that most DZs agree to follow, specify that the legal age of majority (18 in most states, 21 in a couple) for tandem, and 16 for solo.

Why would you be allowed to jump solo at 16 but have to be 18 to do a tandem? That seems kind of backwards.

Why would you be allowed to jump solo at 16 but have to be 18 to do a tandem? That seems kind of backwards.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The 18 year rule for tandems was written by tandem manufacturers in an effort to reduce the number of lawsuits. It was also written more recently, after the legal climate turned nasty in the USA.

Philip,

We'll be in Mississippi in July, but, :(, we're running a little dz now, so we can only be gone Mon-Fri, and as far as I know, you're only open on the weekends. But, I'm really looking forward to being back around Christmas when the weather's nasty in Indiana.
Blue Skies!

Charlie Mullins started jumping at age 7, his brothers I believe had to wait until 10.

I was in Coolidge this last christmas, and the 4th son was starting to jump (10), damn and I cannot remember his name right now. He was using a Javelin NJ sized to him, and a Precision Nitron 120.

If you Parents are willing to buy you your own rig to go through AFF and skydiving with, then the sizing of the equipment is really not an issue.

As for jumping, well if your dad is a DZO and wants to assume the risk than he can do that too. It would be pretty fun to say that at age 15 you have 3000 jumps, and jumping a VX 65. I mean you are basically getting to downsize alittle every day as you continue to grow. You cannot ask for a better downsizeing method.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

"USPA's rules, that most DZs agree to follow, specify that the legal age of majority (18 in most states, 21 in a couple) for tandem, and 16 for solo. "

Wow so we can jump solo before we can jump as a passanger

does that ever make sense.
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

To my wife: 'If you ask me to stop skydiving, you are asking me to move out!'