Ron

Non-Riggers....Have you packed or at least watched a reserve being packed?

To all you non-riggers:

You can learn a lot by packing a reserve...Have you done it, or at least watched?

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

FYI-make sure that the rigger is cool with watching you pack your rig. Most are happy to let you watch, but some can get pretty pissy about having to answer a bunch of questions when they have several more to do that day and just want to go home. Just as a courtesy.

Yes, watched mine being packed and assisted with it's inspection. Two pairs of eyes are better than one, I like the sense of responsibility you get when you look over your reserve, and I learned a lot about the Javelin in the process.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I have watched reserve repacks several times.

I also have had the honor of watching our Master Rigger repack the reserve on the intentional cutaway rig we had from Relative Workshop with a SkyHook. He was more then happy to explain things, and had invited me to watch as I had questions regarding the SkyHook. B|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Sign on the wall of a DZ rigging room many years ago:

Reserve Repacks: $25
If you watch: $50
If you help: $100

The first time I let a jumper "help" me repack his reserve,
I came to a full understanding of that sign.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Watched for the first time on the first pack of my new rig three months ago. Amazing how much it looked like a BASE packjob.B|

Friday, I did my first reserve packjob. Amazing how much it felt like a BASE packjob.:D

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

hey Matt hope you enjoyed Pinjarra last week.
If you are having your st pack I'd suggest just watching and maybe asking a couple of questions, instead of helping. Who are you getting to do the repack??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NO, but your post motivated me to ask my rigger when I buy my used rig (someday) if I can watch the first repack of it. Im sure I could learn a ton from him. Peace!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I responded yes because I watched it done in the RWS video that came with my Micron. I wanted to see how it was done and what went into it, but I've never watched, first hand, a rigger pack one up. And never felt it necessary. Until now of course.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

I've watched once. The DZO wanted a few of us to before getting our A liscence. Don't know if he still requires that, but it's a good idea. Not that by watching once you know much, but experience starts with exposure.

Thanks for brining this up. I think many skydivers have learned a lot from the question being asked.

I watched my first repack as I began studying to become a rigger.

Now as a Senior Rigger, I offer to my customers that they may watch any repack. I've had a few accept and I think they really enjoyed being able to see the process. Owners of Ravens are usually surprised to find out that their reserve is not all white or light blue.

Another great thing is that Velocity Sports recommends to owners of their Infinity container that they find a rigger, who will let them watch, do the 120 day maintenance on the gear.

- Jack Rumple
D-20992
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

I've got about 25 reserve packjobs. Nobody else has touched my reserve in 4 or 5 years, and that guy had just built a new container for and I'd asked him to pack it while I watched to see if there were any "tricks" to the packing instructions. If I knew how to sew I'd go get my ticket, but I don't have a lot of time or motivation in that regard, as I don't want to pack other people's reserves other than in emergencies (out of town boogie w/ $80 repack rates or whatever they're getting away with these days).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)