CloudOnMyTongue

My first Mal !!! (Partial)

So I just got back from the DZ, and I was doing my second AFP jump. I was on the last load of the day and they were in a big hurry to pack the tandem rigs and get us in the sky.

We went out at 13000, and the free fall was great, I pulled at 5500, and I noticed my tandem master having a lot of trouble with the canopy. I looked up and the left two cells were all tied up.

I asked him what was wrong and he said it was a tension knot. We didn't cut away, we just landed making up for the problem with the right toggle, he told me to prepare for a hard landing. And we landed not bad.

My question is when can you tell if your good enough to fly it in and when your suppose to cut away?

>My question is when can you tell if your good enough to fly it in and when your suppose to cut away?

If you can make it go straight, turn it left and right, and stop it (flare effectively) you can generally land it. There are some times when this isn't a good idea (i.e. a tear in the canopy that's getting worse) but tension knots can often be landed. I landed with tension knots more than once under our old 11 cell 520 sq ft tandem canopies.

What causes tension knots anyways?

oh, oh, can I get this one? Tension! Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Often poor line management
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The landing was kind awkward. It was also a no wind day so that did help with making it gentle.

Euhm.. with no wind you get harder landings, no?
Cause when you've got wind it slows your speed (relative to the ground) down, so less impact even.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

"they were in a big hurry to re pack the tandem rigs"

from your first post...

"what causes tension knots" ?

from your later post....

..........IT could be hasty packing...
but it also could be other things... your TM did well to stay with his decision ,, and safely land you both.......... interesting experience.... How did the skydive part of the jump go????? :D;)

Poor bear, your right I MEAN'T to say that it was a no wind day so that DIDN'T help any.(my bad)

The skydive part was just okay, I did the right turn just fine, but I had trouble doing the left turn, and after struggling for a bit, I checked the altimeter and we were too low, so I didn't have time to finish it.

I'm off again to do it today, hopefully this jump will be better, and hopefully it will be my last tandem:)