k2everest

Tipping Photographers

Is is customary to tip video/photographers? And if so---how much?

Only tip if you really like the video. Don't let yourself be pressured into a tip...a few people provide tips for the video guys (and instructors), but most don't. A common tip is generally 10.00 - 20.00 USD.

That question is actually one of many addressed in my new book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy, published by McGraw-Hill, and available in many bookstores as well as Amazon.com. JUMP! is written for beginners who are interested in the exciting sport of skydiving. It is designed to answer many questions similar to the one you presented above.

Blue Skies,

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Commercial Pilot (IAMSEL,G)
Senior Parachute Rigger
Safety and Training Advisor
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'd say that if the videographer is an employee of the DZ and you are paying a fee to the DZ for the video then it would be appropriate to give a small gratuity if the video came out real nice.

If it is an independant guy that you are paying directly for his work then no, I wouldnt give him a tip, he is already getting paid for it.

Tipping in skydiving is greatly appreciated by the underpaid professionals. Seldom do they see a tip and typically the tip is small (10-20 bucks).

If you feel the job was worth more than the charge, by all means do... (however, if the person is "asking" for a tip, smile as you walk on by.)

Chris