antimike

New Houston DZ

It's at least 60 miles Southwest of Houston. Nice airport with concrete runway, but hwy 59 out of Houston is under construction and will be for a long time. The location didn't work for Chuck with a King Air so I doubt it will work for Phil. It's just to damn far to go with Waller at 40 miles and spacey at 30.

Blue skies,

Jim

Wharton was the 1 DZ in Houston where it didn't matter if it was your 1st time there or you were a regular you felt the love. They really had that family atmosphere and was a place you knew when you got there you were with friends. I definately can't say that about Spaceland, where all I ever felt was tension and stress.

A DZ is all about the people, they make the experience. There are people all over the country that drive right past 1 DZ to go to one where all there friends are, I mean look at the people who go to Aggieland from Houston.
Fly it like you stole it!

I got news for folks who are looking forward to the "old Wharton" This dz will probably not be very fun-jumper friendly. Mostly tandems.

The old Wharton was the people, I don't think anyone expected the "experience" to happen with the new DZ.
Fly it like you stole it!

I think its kinda exciting to see a new dz opening (even if it is an old one) ANYWHERE... plus since I am moving to the shouthern houston area in august or september the more pllaces to jsump the marrier!...
-yoshi

Actually the location wasn't the issue. The DZ is 63 miles from downtown Houston, a lot less if you're coming from the west side. As everyone knows, jumpers will drive waaaay past one dz to get to the one they prefer, and our jumpers routine did so. To set the record straight for all who care to know, we chose to close because...

1. Growth was flat, very flat - a problem the entire industry has been dealing with since summer of 2000.

2. Changes to the environment in the houston industry demanded that we invest a ton of money to stay competitive, ei. our own plane, fuel stations to buy fuel wholesale, more facility improvements, etc. Given the problem stated in item #1, the risk vs. return math simply didn't work anymore.

3. We were badly burned out on 7 day workweeks, and realized that we lived for the DZ instead of for ourselves. Our committment helped make SUSA a great place to jump, but that also meant it would lose the special atmosphere it was known for if we were no longer committed. Those who called SUSA home know that better than anyone else.

SUSA was a one-of-a-kind place, thanks to the people who jumped there. I believe that's because everyone involved was more concerned about having a great (and safe) place to jump than having a big pile of money to sit on.

Somebody bring me the Booze Luge and a "Wharton Wave"!!!!;)

Wharton was the 1 DZ in Houston where it didn't matter if it was your 1st time there or you were a regular you felt the love. They really had that family atmosphere and was a place you knew when you got there you were with friends.

Aw shucks Kelli, yer gettin' me all choked up.

It's not like anything Ive seen in the sport since. I've seen many many students come and go, but so many of the people who came through the old wharton are still in the sport.

I wonder Chuck, do you have a good idea of the ratio of students who are still in the sport?

I know several people who graduated AFF at SUSA and you can see them any given Sunday. At least 7 regulars on this board.

There was definitely a magic about your DZ. Sometimes, it's better to burn out...

xoxoxox
Paula

I'm not sure of the hard numbers but I do believe SUSA had a fairly high retention rate. I suppose one reason was the atmosphere and attitudes of the jumpers. SUSA was about the people and I think new jumpers felt that.

Or maybe it was the killer parties and naked ladies!

Chuck
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

but so many of the people who came through the old wharton are still in the sport.

Does that include you and Mike? :P

Where in the heck have you guys been? and don't give me that broken ankle stuff, just because you break something doesn't mean mikey can't jump. (out of a plane). ;)

Love Ya.

BSBD
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock