skykitten78

Bruised Thighs!

I almost completed my AFF course this weekend--only 2 more jumps to go! Having an awesome time!!!
However, I noticed some very BAD bruising of my thighs when I got home. I understand this is common. Any suggestions on how to cushion the pull of the leg straps when deploying? I am still using a student rig with metal clips (agghhhh! Which no doubt isn't helping) and a Navagator 200.
In NO WAY am I complaining. I am having WAY too much fun!! But if there is a remedy, why not use it??? Thanks in advance, everyone!!

No, no, no...that isn't the answer! Look, just REMOVE all of your clothing prior to doning your rig so you can adjust and relocate the legstraps easier...k? By the way, what DZ do you go to? I could meet you there and help out with the leg strap adjustments!!!

Or, you could try to sit up a little during the opening. This may help if the bruising is occuring during the bodies transition from horizontal to vertical. As Bill said though, a properly fitting rig is the best prevention!!!

Vector #10,000 has leg straps (and backpad) which are padded with thick and luxurious, Canadian Bred, Female Mink. The hardware is all gold, and the large three rings each have a diamond set in them...A Skykitten rig if I've ever seen one. I guarantee it won't bruise your thighs, and even if it does, you won't care.

I almost completed my AFF course this weekend--only 2 more jumps to go! Having an awesome time!!!
However, I noticed some very BAD bruising of my thighs when I got home. I understand this is common. Any suggestions on how to cushion the pull of the leg straps when deploying? I am still using a student rig with metal clips (agghhhh! Which no doubt isn't helping) and a Navagator 200.
In NO WAY am I complaining. I am having WAY too much fun!! But if there is a remedy, why not use it??? Thanks in advance, everyone!!

They sell compression shorts at most sporting goods stores. I had the same problem and I still wear compression shorts now. Way more comfortable. Baseball "sliding" shorts can help too.

>Vector #10,000 has leg straps (and backpad) which are padded with
>thick and luxurious, Canadian Bred, Female Mink.

So since the harness/container system is made with natural materials . . . does it have to be repacked every 60 days?

No, no, no...that isn't the answer! Look, just REMOVE all of your clothing prior to doning your rig so you can adjust and relocate the legstraps easier...k? By the way, what DZ do you go to? I could meet you there and help out with the leg strap adjustments!!!

If there is going to be any of that, I think I'll help her out... being that is is my Wife and all ;)

Personally I just told her to wear the bruises like a badge of Honor... After all she is a Skydiver now!

Temp Fix is a big rectangle piece of foam placed in your jumpsuit or pants.

This became necessary after my level 5. I don't bruise easy and that opening MESSED me up.

Note: If some one else is reading this and thinks.. "AH HAH!!!! I can use the Rectangle piece of foam in my pants"!! ... Remember, it looks funny and if you have male parts make a cut out for them.
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

My 2 cents...

I bruise easily and even though I have my own gear it's used and it doesn't fit well.

So I use Arnika gel on my bruises. It's a naturopathic solution you may wish to try. I got mine at a drug store, but you could probably find it anywhere herbs are sold. The only warning listed on it is not to put it on broken skin - it burns.

I really find it causes the bruises to fade faster and they hurt less.

(Disclaimer: consulting a doctor is never a bad idea before slathering on unknown goo.)

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

Not much you can do. The best remedy is a rig that fits well. About all you can do at this point is make sure the lift webs are adjusted to fit you well and the legstraps are tight.

Yep to rig that fits/and/or is properly adjusted. When I deployed on my AFF level 1, I noticed a quick pain on the inside of my right thigh. Later in the week, I had a deep red bruise from my crotch down to my knee.

When I watched my video from that jump it's pretty obvious, the right leg strap wasn't adjusted/tightened correctly. In freefall, my right leg strap was seriously down to my kneecap.

Student gear sucks.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

Student gear sucks. I asked a bunch of instructors when I was on my AFF and they all said 'tighten the straps' but nothing really helped. Getting off the student gear changed my life.

I also developed a distaste for navigators - although they are highly regarded as student canopies, I found that they snivelled a LOT (I had one solo where I pulled, looking at my digitude at 4.5k, and was fully-inflated and in the saddle at 3.3k) but still opened pretty hard - I had a lot of bruises. I think this was due to huge, non-collapsible pilot chutes creating very high snatch force.

Just be patient, nurse your 'skydiver wounds' and order yourself gear as soon as is practical - get lots of advice first, but the sooner you're in your own gear the happier you will be. B|

Welcome to the wonderful world of skydiving!
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I try to get my legstraps as tight as I can. The student rig I used did not fit too well when I started jumping again and gave me huge bruises on my thighs and on my upper chest. I opted to get my own rig as fast as I could that fit AND has fairly wide legstraps w/ pads. That has solved most of the problem.

Amazon

Vector #10,000 has leg straps (and backpad) which are padded with thick and luxurious, Canadian Bred, Female Mink. The hardware is all gold, and the large three rings each have a diamond set in them...A Skykitten rig if I've ever seen one. I guarantee it won't bruise your thighs, and even if it does, you won't care.

We want pictures! :)
----------------------------------------