FreeDiver

Goggles or full face helmet

definetaly goggles, unless your doing hardcore 4way or are jumping in the dead of winter.

i had a oxygen fullface and it was hot as hell even on chilly days, it also somewhat lessens your peripheral vision.
i used it for the extremely cold winter jumps, but then i said screw it its too hot for any other time of year.

now i wear sunglasses with a strap on the back, or goggles.

definetaly goggles, unless your doing hardcore 4way or are jumping in the dead of winter.

I use goggles, even in winter. I use a balaclava under my helmet, no problem keeping my melon warm.

i had a oxygen fullface and it was hot as hell even on chilly days, it also somewhat lessens your peripheral vision.
i used it for the extremely cold winter jumps, but then i said screw it its too hot for any other time of year.

now i wear sunglasses with a strap on the back, or goggles.

Why does it have to be hardcore 4-way? You can get kicked or elbowed in the face on any jump with someone else. IMO, anyone that does big ways or 10-way speed without a full-face helmet is going to regret it sooner or later.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

alot of people jump both. I removed the face shield from my oxygen and just wear goggles underneath.The face shields don't stay clean very long and are a pain in the ass to clean.

My experience is quite different from yours - my face shield stays in good shape for a long time, because I don't leave the helmet lying around and I keep it in a bag when not in use..

does a full face helmet limit your visibility or ability to move your head ?

damn i should get to try one upfront [:/]

I've got one (Z1), but I get claustophobic in helmets like that....

Also it limits my peripheral sight too much for my taste, unless I take the face shield off and wear goggles anyway. But then I might as well wear my freefly helmet....

I can't really talk with the fullface on (exit counts and stuff) but that hasn't been a problem so far.

Sometimes when I do CRW we wear Z1's minus shields but with radios in them. Works okay.

It's a little bit warmer for your chin/mouth, or I just wear a high collar or something, works too...

Definitely try them on, for size and comfort, even if you're not allowed to jump it...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I prefer an open face with sunglasses and croakies on jumps where I am concerned about contact.. when I am confident in the plan and the other jumpers, just goggles, baby.. I love the freefall helmetless..B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

does a full face helmet limit your visibility or ability to move your head ?

damn i should get to try one upfront [:/]

The Z1 has more restriction on vision than the OXYGN (which has almost no effect on peripheral vision in my case). No restriction on head movement.

I jump an open face helmet and FlexZ goggles. I like the wind in my face, I can give and hear an exit count, there's no blockage of peripheral vision and I can give and get kiss passes ;)

There is some additional risk in using an open faced helmet doing hard core 4 way, bigways, 10 way speed, etc. Faces have been known to contact doors and floors on exit and arms and legs in freefall in the past.

I tried everything they had at Square2. I ended up buying an Aviator. I didn't like the full face because on occasion I have trouble equalizing my ears, and with a full face I couldn't relieve the pressure.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Normally I just stretch my jaw to the side or swallow, but a couple times I've had to pinch my nose. Hard to do in freefall with a full face[:/]

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I used to jump with a protec and goggles. I recently bought an oxygn and ended up selling it for a Z1 (I now have about 50 jumps on my Z1). I just love the Z1. IMHO, the visor is a LOT easier to flip up than the oxygn (that is why I switched). I keep it flipped up until the count is given then flip it down for the jump (unless I am floating, of course). This way I don't get hot in the plane on jump run (or fogged up).

I like a full face because its nice and quiet in freefall plus with the protec I would always be worried about forgetting my goggles on the ground and would be hosed.

Once I open my canopy I flip the visor up for a nice refreshing ride down to earth. I also find the Z1's visor is much cleaner than the oxygn, maybe its a different material or something.

Just my $.02..

-Rob

How exactly do you relieve the pressure? I could imagine pinching the nose and blowing becomes very difficult but can't you also make a chewing motion or swallow?

I always pinch and blowq, it's never difficult I do it once under canopy, left turn with hlaf toggle check alti and blow nose all in one manourvre

I wear a Sky Gath with Sport Rx G101's, they are great, not pretty but damn functional:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

LMAO

I always pinch and blowq, it's never difficult I do it once under canopy, left turn with hlaf toggle check alti and blow nose all in one manourvre

I do the same damn thing under my havok fullface as part of control check.
I go with a havok fullface and goggles underneath, put the plastic back in the helmet only when it gets too damn cold to stand it.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.