Muenkel

This is a very newbie question.

Last weekend, my jumpmaster told me I had a very fast drop rate in freefall and I didn't ask him what he meant by that. I'm not a big guy, only 5'7", 160lbs.

Can anyone explain to me what he meant exactly? I thought we dropped at 120mph.

Thanks,
Chris

Everyone does not fall at the same rate. Even a fall rate of a couple of miles an hour difference will make a big diffence in a skydive. Some of the factors that affect your fall rate are Jumpsuit, Weight, Arch, Body position, height.
What he meant by it was that you fall faster than he does and he probably had a hard time keeping up with you.
TOT
www.SkydiveMoncton.com

To my wife: 'If you ask me to stop skydiving, you are asking me to move out!'

In the future, you shouldn't have too many problems with your fall rate what with you weighing 160 lbs (I'm assuming that's your naked weight). I'm at about 200 lbs and I'm considered to have a fast fall rate (especially when I go head down). But clothing can influence your fall rate if you fall too fast (wear lose clothing) or too slow (wear tight clothing). Also, as you become more experienced, you'll learn how to control your fall rate relative to others by exposed more or less of your body to the air mass.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Wind resistance.

The more surface to weight, the slower you go, the less surface to weight, the faster you go.

If you tend to Arch "Hard" as unfortunately tought by many instructers, the air will spill off you easier and the faster you go. A more comfortable relaxed arch is easier to fly and more maneuverable.

Do a coach dive or 2 and practive fall rate. The coach will match your fall rate, then slow down. You match his fall rate by slowing down. Then he will speed up and you do the same.

I will leave it up to the person you do the jump with to teach you the techniques to fly slower.

120 is an average belly speed... freefliers average around 150 - 160... and speeds of over 300 are attainable.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

On my AFF Level 7, both my instructor and the videographer recorded my average fall rate at 140mph. I'm 5'7 and 11 and a half stone (Not sure what these equates to in pounds).

Is this normal?

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

On my AFF Level 7, both my instructor and the videographer recorded my average fall rate at 140mph. I'm 5'7 and 11 and a half stone (Not sure what these equates to in pounds).

Is this normal?

14lbs/stone = 161lbs That seems fast.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'm not a big guy, only 5'7", 160lbs.

Dude, I'm 6'2, 160lbs. I have to wear a skin tight RW suit and work hard on my body position to maintain a relative fall rate.

You sound about average build. Maybe just flatten out a little or a baggier suit? Or just jump with someone that can vary his/her fallrate and let you match.

--Jason

Right now, don't worry about it, its your job to fall and their job to deal with it. You'll learn how to slow your fall rate as you progress through your student program.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Wind resistance.

The more surface to weight, the slower you go, the less surface to weight, the faster you go.

If you tend to Arch "Hard" as unfortunately tought by many instructers, the air will spill off you easier and the faster you go. A more comfortable relaxed arch is easier to fly and more maneuverable.

Do a coach dive or 2 and practive fall rate. The coach will match your fall rate, then slow down. You match his fall rate by slowing down. Then he will speed up and you do the same.

I will leave it up to the person you do the jump with to teach you the techniques to fly slower.

120 is an average belly speed... freefliers average around 150 - 160... and speeds of over 300 are attainable.

Thats what they were telling me about the relaxed arch, but Im just a little paranoid about, if you relax too much, is there a chance you can start flipping unexpectedly? I tend to want to throw my waist out forward when I get nervous about it (ie fear of the unknown?).

Is there any creditiablitly in thinking that?

Thats what they were telling me about the relaxed arch, but Im just a little paranoid about, if you relax too much, is there a chance you can start flipping unexpectedly? I tend to want to throw my waist out forward when I get nervous about it (ie fear of the unknown?).

The more you arch (relaxed), theoretically the more stable you will be. As my instructors drummed into me, "Like a shuttlecock"!! :D

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

Think your fast? Think again... I'm 5.10 and 215lbs au-natural (240-245 geared), by using by using baggy, high drag suits (RW/VRW) and having learned to be aware of how I'm flying I good to go with almost anyone. Which is "NICE".

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I had a very fast fallrate while I was on AFF/student status and probably a little while after that. I had a pretty severe arch. I've worked to correct that and got fit for a jumpsuit by an instructor. I haven't had any complaints of falling too fast with my few rw jumps. In fact, I've been told I have a decent range.

Respect the Dolphin

The more you arch (relaxed), theoretically the more stable you will be. As my instructors drummed into me, "Like a shuttlecock"!! :D

Thanks, Ill keep in in mind.

Remember also, that speed is relative. A bicycle is fast if you're walking - slow if you're driving.

It's also not your problem at this stage. It's your JM's job to be where you are, if you're doing AFF. Tell him to wear more weight next time!;)

Blue Skies,

t
It's the year of the Pig.

you bumbs. im 6 2 and weigh 140 i float so bad its not funny ive gone out of the plane with a lot of folks but i always seem to wind up by myself above everyone else watching.im learning to sit fly and i can keep up with the 2 freefly chicks that are teaching me to sitfly.but the dz owner says i get more for my money than the anvil ait folks up there.***if you are going to be stupid you better be tough