Divingdude

How to implement "practice pulls" on throw-outs.

Using BOC-mounted throw-out PCs on student gear
is not unusual for AFF. (A secondary JM handle is
added that releases two sides of the PC pouch when pulled.)
Now, assume that you want to train students
using JAD. How do you go about arranging for a
realistic "Throw-out practice throw"? I don't want to do
the conventional ripcord thing where the student is
trained to hang on to the handle. I want the student
to actually practice a good throw. Granted, the old
ripcords get thrown all over the DZ at times, but we
cannot actually *plan* on throwing a dummy PC
away on every jump.
Any good solutions out there?

We drill throws in on the ground during training by actually putting a PC in a BOC and having the student throw it about 20 times while doing the emergency drill's. Never had an issue in the air yet if the student was trained well on the ground.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I mean for the
first few jumps when the JM releases the PC out the
door in true JAD-fashion. If the student gear is
equipped with a spring-loaded PC, a standard PRCP
is fine, but I want the student to do a practice
*throw* rather than a pull. I agree that having the
student throw a real PC on the ground is the way to
go there, but what do they do *in the air* on those
first few jumps when they are not actually activating
the parachute themselves?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I mean for the
first few jumps when the JM releases the PC out the
door in true JAD-fashion. If the student gear is
equipped with a spring-loaded PC, a standard PRCP
is fine, but I want the student to do a practice
*throw* rather than a pull. I agree that having the
student throw a real PC on the ground is the way to
go there, but what do they do *in the air* on those
first few jumps when they are not actually activating
the parachute themselves?

Get some really cheap tube socks, tie a knot in one end to simulate the hackey handle, and stick it in the pouch. Make sure the sock isn't so big that it's difficult to extract from the BOC pouch. A cheaper (but somewhat less realistic) dummy PC is just a rolled up piece of newspaper. Both are plenty easy for the JM to see.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There are two ways for the student to practice pulling while doing JAD/IAD/static-line jumps.
The first method involves a rolled up newspaper stuffed into the BOC pouch. The trick here is making the newspaper fat enough that it does not fall out before the student can grab it.
The second option involves sewing up some fancy dummy pilotchutes using parapack and foam rubber. Sew a regular pilotchute handle on one end and a half-meter of bungee cord on the other end. Attach the bungee cord to the harness with a rubber band so you do not lose the dummy pilotchute.

we use the rolled up newspaper method at our dz, works great! the instructor can watch to make sure the student gets to it with a stable body position and then decide when they are ready for their first real pull...
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Sew a regular pilotchute handle on one end and a half-meter of bungee cord on the other end. Attach the bungee cord to the harness with a rubber band so you do not lose the dummy pilotchute.

I guess I'd have to see this one, because I'm visuallizing something pretty scary (attached dummy PC trailing behind them where it could entangle the reserve in the event of a mal)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If the student performs badly, do you roll the newspaper up again, take the students nose and put it on the pilot chute, and say "bad student, bad student!!!" while striking the student on the head with the paper?:P
I've never heard of that method, but it makes sense!!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

;)Bill is close on this one. Take about three feet of WDI material, fold it in half then take some good old duck tape and make a "handle" by taping up a ball over the folded WDI.

One problem you can run into for boc is if the bag has left the container the bottom flap can/will collapse some and be more difficult to locate the practice pilot chute however, IMHO that is MUCH better than a "fake" practice pull.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

One problem you can run into for boc is if the bag has left the container the bottom flap can/will collapse some and be more difficult to locate the practice pilot chute however, IMHO that is MUCH better than a "fake" practice pull.

This has been a topic of much discussion in our little club. We just ordered a new rig and it has a small pocket for the practice pull material (we use rolled up newspapers) right next to the back pad. We are hoping that this will make it easier for people to locate by not moving around as much.

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

:)
What manufacturer is doing this for you. Any rigger could sew a pocket in that location. It would be closer to actual but......
One AFF Cat D Saturday, student I have not jumped with before, ppct signal and he grabs his leg strap, rol pouch (converted rig), my altimeter, my hand, everything but his PC,never touched the PC without me placing his hand on it. Then wondered why I did not give him a release?????

Nothing is perfect, but I like your idea.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

:)
What manufacturer is doing this for you.... Nothing is perfect, but I like your idea.

Blues,

J.E.

Al MacDonald, the owner of Flying High Manufacturing Inc., the builder of the Sidewinder TSO'd container did this for us after I explained the problem and asked him if he could come up with a way to put a practice pull holder closer to the backpad where it wouldn't move as much as the BOC pouch.

It should be easy to do on nearly any student rig. Will let everyone know how it works.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Ahh, some pretty interesting ideas here. First of all, the dropzone that I have in mind makes about 6-700 student jumps a year where they would be doing these practice throw-out throws. I'm afraid we wouldn't win the "Friendliest neighbor award" if we threw that much newspaper around.

What is this WDI material? Could someone please spell out the acronym for us non-English speakers. :)
I was hoping someone had come up with a solid solution that means that *nothing* gets thrown away but rather stays with the student. The PC-handle attached with a bungee cord was something that I had been toying with in my mind, but it's pretty easy to come up with all sorts of scary scenarios around that. Any feedback from you guys who have actually seen this being used? How long would you make the cord? And what if they don't let go---any experience with such a scenario?

Sew a regular pilotchute handle on one end and a half-meter of bungee cord on the other end. Attach the bungee cord to the harness with a rubber band so you do not lose the dummy pilotchute.

I guess I'd have to see this one, because I'm visuallizing something pretty scary (attached dummy PC trailing behind them where it could entangle the reserve in the event of a mal)

Blues,
Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I will repeat myself ....

"Attach the dummy handle to the harness with a rubber band ..."
The rubber band forms a "weak link" that will release if the dummy handle entangles with a deploying parachute.
We have been using this style of dummy handle for the last year in Pitt Meadows with zero problems. We copied the idea from the Campbell River DZ who have been using it for many more years.