darkwing

scary pin check

At about 12,000 feet in a Pilatus Porter, jumper is kneeling in front of me, we are both next to the door (closed). He didn't ask for a pin check so I gave him one anyway. Main is OK. Reserve pin is less than 1/8" (3 mm) past the loop. Loop pressure has the pin tilted upwards, very close to sliding off the pin and opening reserve... I figure there was about a 95% chance it would have opened on climb out. He was going to be front float. Lives were saved. I'm glad I wear Depends.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

what do you do in a situation like that? Would he have to ride the plane down? Or could you reposition the pin properly?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Dude - Blahr... I was just talking about Sneetches @ the dz this weekend!!!!

I walked up & a few friends (belly fliers) told me I had to get on the next load cause one of the free fliers was looking for someone to jump w/ & neither party was really that interested in him doing a belly jump (all said in good natured kidding of course).

I said we're like the sneetches, some free fliers & some belly fliers & we all have to get along....

anyway, haven't hears/seen that in so long I was suprised I thought of it & thought it was funny to see your quote here.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

thanks for the post darkwing.

i won't take 22 lbs. of pull force for granted as the pin may still come loose. i usually check it pretty quickly and the end of the pin is covered in a little flap but that's a serious reality check. i'll be checking mine more closely from now on.

blue ones,

jg
"dude, where's my main?"