JenBubbles

Feel too scared to continue

Hey Jen, because it's only 122 pages, can you scan them all and post here on dizzy. :P Sounds like exactly the book I need to read before going back up there for my AFF in July. Don't worry about copyright laws, we'll keep it to ourselves so no one will know. ;)
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Hi Jen,

Just my 2 cents. I started jumping in 1989, made about 60 jumps between then and 1995, then stopped for 8 years.
I was poor and couldnt afford to jump much so I was only making 1 or 2 jumps per month and staying away long enough in between so that I was all full of fears again by the time I came back.
I've never felt such a barrage of mixed emotions in my life. One minute I'm totally psyched to go, the next I'm so nervous its absurd.
I went through this almost every time I went to jump.
If on occasion I had anough cash to make 2 jumps in a day I was totally cool after the first jump. All my nerves were before the first jump and in the plane on the way up. Once I'm out the door its pure exhilaration all the way to the ground. What was worse was this was a Cessna and I always seemed to get stuck in the hole where I could only stare at my shoes and think nervous thoughts. I hate the hole!

Now I'm coming back after staying away for 8 years.
Am I scared? You bet your ass I am :-)

I'm still coming back though because for some damn reason, I just HAVE to jump!
I KNOW what awaits me outside that door. The fear sucks. I wish I didnt feel it. But I'm not gonna let it keep me from getting out the door. Out there its all
good!

This time I make enough $ to come more often though so I'm hoping that my nerves will give me a break once I get back in the saddle.

Today I am scared and nervous. Its been a long time.
But I'm gonna take a refresher course, study my procedures, do an AFF style refresher jump, and start living again.

I hope it helps knowing that you arent alone in being scared. It sure helps me to talk about my own fear :-)
Knowing that YOU are scared helps me to deal with my own fear.

In almost every situation in life, weather its skydiving or deciding what you want to be when you grow up, if you let your fears make your choices for you, they almost always turn out to be wrong.

Think hard. If skydiving isnt right for you then stop.
No shame, you gave it a fair shake. 4 jumps is more than most people will ever do and it takes a lot of guts to make that step. Just dont make the choice out of fear. Base it on what you WANT.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, Chris. What you said really helps. It is a relief to know that other people are scared too. I know what you mean about the mixed emotions, it's quite exhausting at times.
I know that it's ok if i decide it's not for me but i dont feel able to make that decision yet, I think about skydiving every day, and really want to get up there again. I am learning some relaxation-type techniques for the plane so i can keep my head together - sort of!
Good luck up there!
Jen

I get butterflies in my stomach on every walk to the plane. Some are big, some are small, but all are real. I just remind myself what my AFF instructor Bonnie told me "You should always get butterflies, you'll just learn to LOVE butterflies."

B|

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

// after reading the 50+ posts

Ok Jen, you have the support, stories, etc.... are you ready to jump now?! ;)

My 0.02: go on a load just to watch others exit, to feel how easy it is, and then you'll be able to decide if you're gonna continue skydiving or not, plain and simple. An airplane ride can't hurt you, can it?

[QUOTE]An airplane ride can't hurt you, can it?
[/QUOTE]

Wait just a second there, man! Im more scared of the airplane than the skydive!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

[QUOTE]I'm afraid of looking out and trying to spot.[/QUOTE]

Me too the first time I spotted, my instructor explained it to me like this, "what are you afraid of? You have a freakin' parachute attached to you!!!"

After that I wasn't so scared, maybe the humor was all I needed...

let my inspiration flow,

:)is that it "Evokes Emotion":D...from its participants,, each and every time a jump is made..... And so it should, whenever a human being is Flying....:)It is how we each interpret this surge of energy,,, which determines if we continue with the sport. If we use the term "excitement" instead of "fear"...and think in a positive way,, then we put ourselves in the better frame of mind to make the most of the jump..Then as you build on your successes,, the energy stays positive,, and the cycle continues.....:$
Sure some aprehension is expected in the early stages of learning to jump. It is healthy,, it keeps us from being reckless... It points out that ours is a serious sport.. ( Serious FUN!!!!;) )
Remember, proper attention to instruction,,,ever increasing understanding of equipment ,, continued good times experienced at the drop zone,,, and a fair amount of personal de- briefing,,, and FEAR??,,, fear flies away.... my friends...:oB|

skydive enthusiatically

I liked what the poster above me wrote, and just wanted to second it. I am in the definite early stages of my jumping career, and I am knowingly transforming the fear into fearful excitement. Being afraid IS fun, its one of the main reasons I started skydiving, I wanted to scare the shit out of myself.

let my inspiration flow,

I don't care for the plane ride myself. Otters are a nice plane, but they feel sorta fragile. I used to work as a final assembly inspector for Boeing on structures and body join and I can tell you, those babies are built. They can take a lickin' and keep on tickin', there have been 737's and even a 767 that were dead sticked to landings after losing both engines. The 737 was struck by lightning and landed on a flood levee, the 767 (get this) ran out of fuel (oops...) and put down on an abandoned air strip in Canada.

But it's true, all you can do is sit there in those miserable little seats, cinch your seatbelt down tighter if that makes you feel better, and use the little yellow maks to help muffle the screaming. At least skydiving you're out of the plane, have two canopies and a hook knife and can scream just as loud as you want.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I am still overcoming the anxiety as well. I did my first AFF jump last weekend without first doing a tandem. Let me tell you--I had not idea what to expect! I am scheduled for my next 4 jumps in a week, and I am still a little shaky. But sometimes that's good. The sport does have risks--but knowing the emergency procedures will be able to get you out of most if not all, risky situations.
I felt a little nauseous before my first jump--but I told myself to overcome it and be brave. Being outside of your comfort zone is the reason why welcome this feeling. It reminds you that you are ALIVE and doing something spectacular!! It's also a challenge to overcome. You can be proud to know that you did it!! However, if the nerves are consuming you so much that you cannot concentrate on the dive, you may want to reconsider jumping. I agree with "rgoper's" message: Follow your heart! Do what is right for you!!!

Well, I have finally managed to get back up in the sky. Bad weather here hasn't helped, but mainly it's been overwhelming fear. I finally got sick of it and did a tandem jump with my instructor 2 days ago. And you know what? I was terrified and felt sick and everything, but once we got out the door, I loved the freefall so much it was fantastic. And it's all on video, pity there's no sound effects as i was yelling with pure exhilaration. I suddenly understood why people say it's such a buzz in freefall.
I'm hoping to go back and do AFF3 soon, although it's not great weather here right now.
thanks for the advice and support. i'm sure I'll need lots more as i continue my shakey way across the sky.
Jen

thanks for the advice and support. i'm sure I'll need lots more as i continue my shakey way across the sky.

Just keep asking, and you shall keep receiving in spades! And congratulations for getting back up there, tandem or not. You'll be ready for level 3 in no time. Just remember the incredible feeling that lays right outside the door, within your reach, just waiting for you. Focus on that, and you will be able to get past the door.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

u see - u are not alone in beein afraid. every jumper i know is or was afraid of jumping in his career. i freaked out on one of my aff-level-jumps and almost decided to go down inside the plane rather than jumping... a fellow skydiver i really do pay big respect told me that up to his 200th jump he couldn't sit near the door... lest say open it!

its good to hear u faced your fears and that you are jumping again. because i think thats what jumping is all about - face your fears, name them and learn to overcome them. it will make you a lot firmer & precise in everyday life. believe me - if not - ask others

blue skies - feuergnom
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666