JenBubbles

Feel too scared to continue

Im pretty paranoid of flying and must be the only person in the world who feels safer jumping out of the airplane than riding in it

Nope...not alone. Me too. And I don't yet feel that safe when jumping out of them, either....:S

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I was so nervous on my first solo jump I froze rocking in the door at 13k. I stayed there rocking until I felt the foot of my instructor (she was on an AFF #1 with another student) on my ass kicking me out of the plane. I laughed, tumbling all the way down :). Thanks Nikki, if you didn't kick my ass I probably wouldn't have left the plane. After I landed the AFF #1 student asked me if she does that all the time. I said, yeah but only for me.

-Matt

Im pretty paranoid of flying and must be the only person in the world who feels safer jumping out of the airplane than riding in it

Nope...not alone. Me too. And I don't yet feel that safe when jumping out of them, either....:S

Ciels-
Michele

Welp, just found out this evening I may not be having that problem for awhile. Another problem just came up...no more money and a negative balance. I dont know what I do with money, where does it all go? Some of it went to skydiving, not that much.

I guess its kind of a "temporary" relief, so now I get to worry about money, which means I dont have to worry about "the door" for awhile.:D Before skydiving I would have been going to pieces by now, but now that Im used to being worried about life/ death situations, this is nothing. This memorial weekend, moutain climbing, thats cheap, doesnt cost anything.

Probably the most inspirational story I've read recently was in skydiving news a month or so ago. This lady was scared to death of jumping. She'd go up in the airplane and had to ride it down each time, because she was too scared to jump. But she was no quitter. Finally she just got pissed off at herself and did it. And then did it again. Today she's one of the only females on the Pro-swooping circuit. (I'm terrible with names....I wish I could recall what it is.)

Marianne Kramer. She went from less than average student to one of the top competitors in virtually every discipline (male or female) in about four years. An amazing gift of focus.

She went from less than average student to one of the top competitors in virtually every discipline

So it can be done? It helps if you can average more than 1 jump every nine months. A year and a half in the sport and I've only fallen out the door 3 times. Now I get scared when I get to the DZ too, but I just keep watching Crosswind and that inspires me to keep going back.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

She went from less than average student to one of the top competitors in virtually every discipline

So it can be done? It helps if you can average more than 1 jump every nine months. A year and a half in the sport and I've only fallen out the door 3 times. Now I get scared when I get to the DZ too, but I just keep watching Crosswind and that inspires me to keep going back.

I want to do the first few AFFs this year, then breeze off of it until next year while working on getting my own equipment, then take it from there. Really, I think a lot of anxiety comes from being pressured to "hurry up" by the DZ. I had them do that to me, and then I made it clear that I will take my own time about it and jump when I feel like it. After that they started giving me an attitude, and who cares? Hell Im paying them, theyre not paying me.

I know this is quite irrational, as i have not panicked yet in the 4 jumps i have done -well, i did feel panicked in freefall in AFF2, but I did what i was supposed to do and even did an extra handle touch just to reassure myself.

Hi JenBubbles,

When I did my AFF 3 dive I was so scared in the plane that when we reached jump run I almost passed out. I did end up jumping, but after the jumpmasters let go, I glanced at my altimeter and read it backwards, thinking the needle should go clockwise. When I saw the needle at what I thought was 3000' (really 9000') I completely panicked, wondering why my instructors were allowing me to fall through my pull altitude, and pulled the ripcord. Once in the saddle, I realized my mistake - but I was shaken up - and at 8K, the world looks really tiny. I was scared the whole canopy ride down. For several weeks I thought I'd never jump again. I eventually did, and the fear got a bit better, but I remember my ride to altitude for my AFF 7 and was inches to telling my instructor that I wanted to ride down. I only now have 15 jumps, and still get nervous every time I jump, but it is manageable - I am beginning to have faith in my abilities and my gear out there.

It is totally normal to be scared to jump - it's a scary thing! And if you feel that it is not worth the fear, I would never try to convince you to do it. But if you keep getting up there, it gets easier and easier. As others have said, the most important thing is to do what's right for you.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

"And maybe I dont make too many friends there, but Im not there for that, Im there to jump, and then walk off the DZ alive. Thats the way I handle things and I feel pretty secure with it. "

Give it time. The friends are one of the biggest gifts that being in the sky together gives us.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

"And maybe I dont make too many friends there, but Im not there for that, Im there to jump, and then walk off the DZ alive. Thats the way I handle things and I feel pretty secure with it. "

Give it time. The friends are one of the biggest gifts that being in the sky together gives us.
|

What I meant by that was the DZ management seems to carry a grudge against you if you dont follow the program as fast as they want you to. They had been giving me quite an attitude lately because of that, but thats okay because I wasnt trying to make friends with them anyway. I dont think something like skydiving should be rushed for anyone, and I know there is a high attrition rate from people who are so overwhelmed by it that they think they can no longer handle it.

These DZs wouldnt lose so many students if they would just take it easy on the students and not pressure them. It takes a long time for some people (like me) to mentally get used to it, I know that isnt an easy thing to do for a lot of people.

This is where you learn to trust your equipment and your training. You have jumpmasters that will be there with you every step of the way.

You will soon step through that wall of fear. Don't let it beat you. EAT IT FOR DINNER!!! Do not let it beat you!! Make that next jump!! Go for it girl!! Anxiety is normal but can be beaten.

Or you can wait. It is ultimately up to you.. Some of the happiest people I have ever known conquered that same fear you have.

Good luck either way,

Rhino

I don't know if this is gonna help, but I just thought I'd write down what I was thinking as I was reading your thread.

When I started AFF it was something I wanted to do for as far back as I can remember. I promised myself I'd do it before I turned 30 and I did my first jump 6 months prior to my 30th birthday.

Anyway, on AFF Level 1 my fear was of the unknown. On AFF Level 2 the only fear I can remember was of falling out of the plane on the way to alti. (Kind of stupid, eh ?) On Level 3 I began to feel a fear I thought I would never have. Agoraphobia. I think the realisation of being 2 miles up surrounded by nothing but air got to me. Because of instability issues I had to redo that level, so for my fourth jump I had a fear of screwing up.

Unfortunately financial problems forced me to postpone the continuation of the AFF. It's now been two years since I last jumped. I'm going all out to try and get back to it this summer because the fear of living life without doing this sport scares me more than anything.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that fears come and go if your willing to push through those barriers they create in pursuit of something you enjoy, or even love. The rewards for doing so are obvious. Despite your fears it certainly sounds to me like you got what it takes to continue and I wish you all the best.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Jen, all I know is that in the two years I've been jumping, I've had enormous fear. And managed to jump anyway (mostly). there were times when I just couldn't do it - and that was alright, too. I knew I'd get back into the air.

It's a hard thing, this jumping business. A total unknown, and goes against everything we understand, as a whole. I mean, we're flying (or falling with attitude, in my case) our bodies through the sky, leaving the relative safety of a plane, and out into the blue we go.

It's very different than anything we've ever understood...and it's the most incredible thing to do. It's hard to get our brains around it, but it can be done...I know this. I'm doing it. Slowly, to be sure, much slower than average (it would seem), but it's happening...

If there is anything you need to talk through, you have my ears.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hey Jen. I'm a baby of static line, but I know what you're talking about. Around my 10th jump the fear set in. Until then it had been pure, adrenalized excitement and I couldn't believe the pleasure I got from each jump. Ecstasy. Then I got afraid. Driving to the DZ made my stomach hurt. The reality set in because jumping was no longer a new novelty, a passing phase. I think I realized that I was jumping out of an airplane from 2 miles up and plumetting to earth. I questioned my motives for being in the sport. Each jump I decided to give it one more chance and I'd stop if I didn't enjoy it. The fear lasted for about 4 more jumps. I still get scared sometimes, about more specific things like a weird flare, an off heading opening, a midair collision. Each of these things I work through by learning and learning and learning. It's that first fear that I think has nothing to do with learning. You just have to go through it.
Basically, what I'd say is keep jumping. This fear is instinctive. There's nothing you can do but get through it. It does NOT mean you don't like skydiving. You won't know the answer to that unless you move past this first.
Whatever you decide, always enjoy the sky, be it from up there or down here.

skydiving to me is sort of a calling. it scares me to no end. but i go anyways. i have nightmares in my sleep all the time of pulling low, having cut-a-ways but i go anyways.

i accomplished around 200 jumps and i almost quit... for good. i might still. i might wake up one day and decide, "i'm never going to make another skydive again". and you know, i'm not the only one who feels this way. in truth, i think that most skydivers feel this way. but, we go anyways.

how did i combat my fears? i used to shake uncontrollably from the ride on the ground to altitude. so i started taking deep breaths and visualizing my freefall. and once i got out the door... it was this unbelievable release like nothing i've ever felt in my life. it's like this everytime. there's nothing that compares to a skydive.

i am very determined to always be as safe as possible. i jump the best equipment i can, i've gotten the best training i could, i've asked the most difficult questions to the most experienced skydivers. i practice my EPs "all the time". i pop my reserve on "all" repacks and oftentimes help repack it as i am a riggers apprentice. basically, i've learned all i can learn to help combat my fear. so, "knowledge" truly is "power".

i also find strength in my friends. i meet new skydivers often. some are more reserved and calculating (like myself) and others are a bunch of crazy loonies with no care in the world. meet all of them. jump with all of them. the jumps i never truly enjoy are the ones i spend alone in the air.

some weekends i don't jump. i stay at home and philosophize and rest my mind. skydiving takes ALOT out of me. other weekends, i show and only do 1 or 2 jumps and maybe there only hop and pops. but when i really want to get pumped to skydive, i watch videos of the most skilled fliers and kick back with a cold one and dream of what it would be like to be the "best". so, when i leap out of a perfectly good airplane, aspire to be as skilled as they.

but, like i've said, skydiving's a calling. my best advice is to "take your time; do it right". you'll find me at a DZ taking the most time to pack the nicest little 7 cell in the world. you'll see me as most likely one of the most nervous people to altitude who leaves his helmet on the entire ride and prays for forgivess every 1000'. but either way, i go anyways.

i love skydiving. if you love the sport as much as us, there's no fear you can't overcome.

blue ones!

jg

I'm going to be starting AFF soon, having only done one (tandem) jump in the past. The only thing I know is that last time I absolutely loved it, but i'm still completely scared. I think it's probably because I have no experience or knowledge at all of the equipement, I'm basically scared of the parachute not opening.

Does anyone know of any good links that explains about the equipment, and how it works etc... I think this would help me feel a bit better about it.

Thanks

newbie here: I did 11 jumps so far (3 solo)

I'm less scared than in the beginning: hell I want to get out of that plane cuz it's hot in there B|

The things that help me:

a) the knowledge I am in control... I KNOW i can fall stable and do a pull in stable conditions... the "only" thing that can go wrong is deployment (so here comes b)

b) the experience that once I reach my pull altitude and some highspeed malfunction would occur I'm clear enough in my head to recognize the situation (without fear) and help myself (fi: cutaway/reserve) I can visualise most situations and I've gone trough them alot of times in my head

okay I'm no expert (to say the least) but I know that as long as my gear is allright I'm fine... so I obsesively check my gear every time I go up: 3-ring system okay ? legstraps okay ? all handles clear ? etc...

can't wait for my next jump :P

I have now got a copy of the book you recommended, Mental Training for Skydiving and Life. It is really excellent and I am learning some techniques for retraining my thoughts etc. Thanks for the advice. I havent got back up there yet, but it is definitely coming!