metalslug

'Accuracy canopy' used by Cheryl Stearns?

I read on the dropzone.com homepage that Cheryl Stearns won 2003 Lew Sanborn Accuracy Meet.
..and well done to her.

Does anyone perhaps know what canopy she uses for these jumps ? ..and the estimated wingloading ?

billvon commented in a
January 2 post that she jumps "a huge F111 7 cell accuracy canopy".
Is this still so ?

Is there such a thing as an 'accuracy canopy' as far as custom modifications go (if any are done) or are some designs, such as 7-cells, inherently more suitable for accuracy work than others ?
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

or are some designs, such as 7-cells, inherently more suitable for accuracy work than others ?

Seven cell canopies typically exhibit a steeper angle of decent, which is a desirable trait in an accuracy canopy. A normal accuracy approach is very steep, often made in deep brakes, and landed with no flare, hence the decision to jump very large canopies... even though the tuffet is cushioned, if you're gonna land without flaring, you want some nylon above you!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I don't know what Cheryl Stearns uses nowadays, but there are still a variety of accuracy canopies available. The Parafoil is one popular one; it's a 7 cell. The Challenger is a 9 cell, but I believe you can get it in a 7 cell version. The Classic is essentially a more modern Parafoil (7 cell.) Most accuracy people seem to prefer 7 cell canopies.

The last time I spoke with Cheryl she was using a Challenger.

I have a 260XL Cloud, 'competition model' as well as a couple of 252 Parafoils...

I was sent a Challenger (280?) to test jump in competition when they first came out and it was the best accuri canopy I've ever used!

Extreeeemely stable in deep brakes, mild and predictable.
but there is a trade off, it is (was) a very slow canopy, both in full flight and in turns.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

or are some designs, such as 7-cells, inherently more suitable for accuracy work than others ?

Seven cell canopies typically exhibit a steeper angle of decent, which is a desirable trait in an accuracy canopy.

Accuracy canopies also have a much lower wing aspect ratio, usually less than 2:1, which makes them look "boxy" or almost truly square. Their airfoil is different too, they're designed for a stable sink. Accuracy jumpers seldom fly higher than half brakes. They're not concerned with long spots the way freefallers are, so "getting back" isn't a concern. Most of us are flying much higher aspect canopies, above 2:1, or even above 2.5:1, with airfoils designed for a flatter glide. Our canopies wouldn't be much fun to sink in the way accuracy jumpers do. this is also why some lower aspect 7 cells are often preferred for demo jumping into stadiums, they're more sinkable.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The last few years I have been jumping a Sharpchuter by Flight Concepts. It is 245 sq. ft., 7 very deep cells, split slider and seperated stablizers.
Stable in brakes, you can bring it straight down and can flare from 1/2 brakes.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals