groovychic

what kind of student rigs does your dz use?

I just fianished up AFF at Skydive Greensburg. I was trained on an SOS system. I immed. didn't like it. I can see the pro's but the con's definitly outweigh it. My husband did his AFF at lakewales, and they used a two handle system. As soon as I finished AFF my husband spent and hour training me on a two handle system. My question is this...all sport rigs that I have seen & know of are all two handles. Why train a student on SOS if it requires immed. retraining after AFF? The SOS system even was the cuase of a fatality at our dz in 97. Thanks for giving me your thoughts on this!

My question is this...all sport rigs that I have seen & know of are all two handles. Why train a student on SOS if it requires immed. retraining after AFF?

We don't....there is no advantage to SOS at all in
my eyes. I have retrained a few of people over the years and never liked it. I simply can not undue the damage done! First learned...first remembered. I do
have a system for retraining from SOS to TAS but
can only guess how effective it is. One jumper with
8 jumps showed me it worked for him...but that is only one guy, reacting to an emergency 15 mins after I retrained him.
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

At smaller DZ's that do mostly IAD/Static line
the great majority of the students will only do one
jump, so the SOS gives them less to do in an emergency.
At DZ's that do a lot of AFF the TAS is better as there is no need to retrain.
I learned on SOS, had to retrain to TAS

Andrew

We use new-style Student Javelins with the redundant-safety reserve handle, which, in essence, is an SOS. We teach two handle cutaways, but also let our students know if they screw up and pull their handles out of order, they are not going to die. The only real drawback to this system comes during canopy collisions below 1000 feet where you teach "never to cutaway; only deploy your reserve if neither of you end up with a flying canopy suspending the two of you." Pull the reserve handle on this rig and you are cutting away first and I don't really like that.

Chuck Blue
D-12501

I started on the SOS system, but half way through AFF, the head instructor converted all the student rigs to a 2-handle system, which I much preferred.

What worries me now is that I've only ever jumped student equipment (I've only got 37 jumps) and (when visiting new DZs) have been asked if I'm OK using the SOS system again. I'm not too happy about changing back and forth between the two systems as I feel it confuses any natural instincts I might be developing for when I actaully have to cutaway. Should I just get confident enough to go down to a 160 (the smallest I've jumped is a 260) or is it safe enough to carry on mixing up te two systems for a while?

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

or is it safe enough to carry on mixing up the two systems for a while?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bad idea!
Borrowed gear kills!
Especially borrowed gear with unfamiliar handles!
Stick with two-handle systems for your next 5,000 jumps.

SOS made sense back in the days when the majority of first jump students did static-line or IAD. Now that the majority of one-jump-wonders do tandem, there is little reason to teach SOS anymore.

My Dz uses the New Vector3 Student rigs, Im glad to see they finally got freefly safe student rigs, because most new students want to fly headdown and sitfly right after aff, I dont agree with it, but it happens and with the old student gear, that was a recipe for disaster.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

most new students want to fly headdown and sitfly right after aff

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you mean by "after AFF?"

I have seen dozens of students do dozens of freefly manuvers long before they got off student status. The only difference is they do not know the names of the manuvers.
Oh, and most of those manuvers were not covered in the pre-jump briefing.

We are using Rigging Innovations Telesis student rigs. They are set up with two handle systems and we are teaching students to hand deploy from their first AFF jump with two sided throw out pilot chutes. I like the Telesis because they have clear reserve pin covers and cypres covers on the backpad, also reverse tuck flap on the main pin cover. I think the dual sided hand deploy is a good idea, but could be a little more secure and is very packing specific.

I'm a newbie, so please excuse some silly questions.

What is the advantage of the SOS system? Sure you only need to do one action, but you lose a lot of flexibility in the process. It appears to me that skydiving is very dynamic and very odd problems can arise, so wouldn't you want as much flexibility as you can when it comes to solving malfunctions?

Second question; had a discussion with a guy who got certified not long ago. He's had two malfunctions in less than 70 jumps - the latter being an FXC shooting due to him deploying the main too low. Anyhow, talked to him about the emergency procedure and asked him whether the handles were hard to pull. he said 'oh only pulled the cutaway, the lanyard'll deploy the reserve.

So I thought about that for a bit. And am I totally wrong, or isn't there one scenario where a lanyard line will NOT pull the reserve? If, for some reason, you cannot pull out the pin from the loop or the whole package locks up and the main doesn't come out, it seems to me that then tehre'd be nothing to pull the lanyard and then the reserve won't come out automatically despite having a lanyard.

Am I wrong here? I don't know the exact circumstances during his malfunctions, but wouldn't it be prudent to just pull both handles in the correct order instead of rationalizing 'oh is the main out or not, if it is then no need to pull the reserve handle?'. Maybe yer too scared to think about that, and isn't it common sense to just practise one thing til it's ingrained and close to instinctual? This is what I believe and practise, but am I overseeing something? Forgot to ask my instructor about this today but I from what I've heard during theory it seems they strongly implied 'one procedure, same procedure, always' with regards to the handles.

Clarification will be appreciated.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

We use a 2 handed system, backed up by an RSL.
Australia uses SOS almost exclusivly.

Obviously, if you're going to be a skydiver, you'll end up on a 2 handed emergency system, but you can train to make the change.

I was trained on round mil surplus gear in the mid 1980's, and had to be retrained when I converted to squares. So far so good.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Our club uses Zenit containers/harnesses for the newbies with two handle systems c/w RSL for the first round static-line and frefall jumps.
Than Centaurus containers/harnesses for first ram-air jumps also with wo handle systems c/w RSL.

OVER

Should I just get confident enough to go down to a 160 (the smallest I've jumped is a 260) or is it safe enough to carry on mixing up te two systems for a while?

Why is a 160 your only option? Couldn't you buy something in between to ease the transition?

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Alright, a 2 handle system with an RSL does basically the same thing as the SOS, AND students learn proper handle pull sequences. So, once they transistion to "real" gear, they won't have to unlearn something that has become an habit.

There have been incident reports about people pulling the reserve first and getting hurt/dead due to learning on a SOS system.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sure you only need to do one action, but you lose a lot of flexibility in the process. It appears to me that skydiving is very dynamic and very odd problems can arise, so wouldn't you want as much flexibility as you can when it comes to solving malfunctions?

Not sure why SOS systems are still being used for students...but then I'm not sure why rip cords are still sometimes being used for students either. The argument about flexibility goes out the door when you consider many experienced jumpers use an RSL, which does the same thing, unless you think ahead and disconnect it. Well, at least you have that option, and with an SOS you don't. My DZ had SOS when I started AFF, and while I was still in AFF (but after I had a cutaway on the SOS), he switched to a 2-handled SOS system...either handle performs both functions.

Second question; had a discussion with a guy who got certified not long ago. he said 'oh only pulled the cutaway, the lanyard'll deploy the reserve.

Yes, you are absolutely right and he is deadly wrong! NEVER rely on your RSL to deploy your reserve for you! It is there ONLY as a backup system, in case you can't get to your reserve handle for some reason. Not pulling your reserve handle because the RSL will deploy for you is just plain stupid. You are also very correct about ingraining the full procedure. What if he borrows gear sometime that doesn't have an RSL on it, has a malfunction, and then never pulls his reserve? It just doesn't make sense to not practice and use full and proper emergency procedures at all times.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

We use new-style Student Javelins with the redundant-safety reserve handle

Archway uses one year-old Wings with this same system. If you pull just your cutaway...hopefully the RSL will yank your reserve. If you pull just your reserve, it cuts away and then pulls the reserve.

I was trained SOS, beofre they got these new rigs. I taught myself two-handles....and practiced it even when I only had one handle to pull. I am glad I was aware enough to always be practicing what my rig actually has....

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!