CanuckInUSA

Cypres

First off there I personally feel that there are too many Cypres threads already circulating, so what's the harm in adding another. :P

I am pro-cypres but have made a couple of jumps without mine turned on. Now I suspect that the top two choices will bring out the most votes, but I'm curious to see how the bottom two options fair.

Please vote honestly ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I really would like to know who out there absolutely won't jump without a Cypres and who thinks that the Cypres is for weenies. Come on now, I know the second group is out there. You've been slaming Cypres users throughout this entire debate.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I really would like to know who out there absolutely won't jump without a Cypres

If the cypres isn't in my rig, or on the shelf at home. I won't jump. It has to be some where.:P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I won't jump without one. I figured I may as well come out and say it, who cares.

Edit: However, I should clarify and say that I must not care THAT much about jumping with it on seeing as I have about 3 jumps without my Cypres turned on (unintentional). I have been in the plane on 2 of these jumps and realized it and jumped anyways. So I guess I will jump without one :)

.-.

I really would like to know who out there absolutely won't jump without a Cypres

I will not jump without one. Why? Because I freely acknowledge that I am an inexperienced skydiver and that there are things that can happen that are beyond my control no matter how much training I have or precautions I take.

That, and it only takes one jump to end your skydiving career.

Jump
Weenie extraordinaire....
Scars remind us that the past is real

I have 360 jumps and do not own a cypress. I have been through two rigs ( any body need a nice rig? ) and am placing the order for the next one now. When I get myself in order as to what I'll be jumping for the next 1000 jumps or so I'll look into finding a cheap used one. I've gone through equipment relatively quickly and can't really say I planned on keeping a rig long enough to worry about finding a cypress and having it installed.
I know it sounds stupid but that's just the way I've looked at it. It's just not of the utmost importance to me, I've been more interested in getting where I needed to be as far as canopies and container.
------------------------------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

First off there I personally feel that there are too many Cypres threads already circulating, so what's the harm in adding another. :P

I am pro-cypres but have made a couple of jumps without mine turned on. Now I suspect that the top two choices will bring out the most votes, but I'm curious to see how the bottom two options fair.

Please vote honestly ...

I'd jump with one if it was free...and turned itself on and off.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I really would like to know who out there absolutely won't jump without a Cypres and who thinks that the Cypres is for weenies. Come on now, I know the second group is out there. You've been slaming Cypres users throughout this entire debate.

I voted that way. I mean its not my accurate opinion but you didn't have my answer and that came the closest. I do not feel the need to have it.
But I believe its good if and only if the person using it skydives exactly the way he would without it. As in as a back-up device that is totally considered unreliable. I used to have a cypress but don't feel safe using one because my canopy dives too fast. The day they come out with a cypress that activates at 98 MPH freefall, instead of 78, I will probably buy it. I will buy it because in that case, its an added safety feature. Its not because I fear jumping without one.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I intend to buy one when I have the $$, but for now, i'm not going to have one. I've made several jumps with no cypres, I know there is the risk of dying, but that is part of the sport. Like I said, tho, i'll have one when I can afford one, who knows, it may well save my life one day. I think they're an awesome device! For now, i'll just have to rely on myself and hope for the best.

Angela.

One thing I think everyone can agree on about using a Cypres is that if your rig has one, you should ALWAYS make sure it's turned on. That one time it's off could be the time you need it. The same with seatbelts. That one time you don't wear it while backing out of the driveway, you could get slammed. I'm a hypocrite in saying this since I've jumped without mine on a few times accidently. But thats besides the point :S

.-.

A Cypres is for weenies, I'm better than that

Hardly a fair poll when you present the view you most dislike in such low mannered speech.

What about

I prefer to jump without an AAD

Doubt you would have been happy with an option

I'm scared stiff to rely on myself so I must have a cypress to jump or I stay on the ground and cry myself to sleep.

A bit of hyperbole but you get my drift...

No, Not without incident

I won't jump without one. I figured I may as well come out and say it, who cares.

I won't jump without one either. I made hundreds of jumps without an AAD back in the seventies, but back then nobody used them but students. We thought they were too prone to premature openings, and in fact they were.

But the Cypres really is so much more reliable (they're not perfect, nothing is). Back then I was young and single, nowadays I've got a wife and kids. I don't think I'll ever need it, but neither did the guy in another thread who knocked himself out jumping out of a Beech that had feathered one engine. (His Pro-Track said he exited at 2600 ft, was in freefall for 16 seconds and opened around 600 ft. All he remembers is waking up hanging from a tree with a bad headache.)

It's one more thing between me and the ground. I think my life's worth the $1225, even with sales tax.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I wont slam anyone for choosing to jump with or without a cypress, its a personal choice each of us has to make.....

I do not jump with one, thats my choice. I am not sure how fast my canopy is diving, but its pretty damned fast......... and it would sure suck to initiate my 270 at 500' and suddenly have two out. would kinda ruin my whole dayB|

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I answered with the first choice. I have over 300 jumps without any sort of AAD on my rig. However, I can afford a Cypres now and I choose to always have it on for every jump I make now. If it's installed on my rig, it will be turned on. I may in the future again make a jump without a Cypres but don't know what that situation may be. If I'm on the ride up and realize my Cypres is turned off I'll just have to evaluate my situation then and decide whether to ride the plane down or not. If I'm doing 10-way practice I might likely (not sure) ride the plane down. I've seen a highly experienced 10-way team have a member slammed into the back wall and knocked loopy so it can happen to even the best teams. He dropped to the floor and we grabbed him to keep him from rolling out the door. We made him ride the plane down then because his eyes were making circles in different directions for a short time.

Accidents happen whenever they happen. You don't get to pick and choose when they happen. So I'll choose to have the Cypres on my rig for any jump I make for the forseeable future. If nothing else, it's a great data collector for the accident investigators to determine some aspects of the jump.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

also did some jumps with mine turned off (too big difference in altitudes to set it correctly), and while it was in revision.
you just have to be aware of it.
some also take advantage of it to pull lower B|
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Do you think it could go that fast? Cypres triggers at 35 m/s, no? that means 126 km/h no? Can a canopy go that fast (in overall speed possibly, but in vertical speed?) ? I believe not, but if someone has feedbacks on this it would interest me.

I don't believe my canopy can go that fast. Actually I am positive my canopy can go that fast. I have no doubts on the matter. Even more so than that I am I am quite confident that I can break 160 KPH on a hard dive. The reason I would be happy with a cypress that activated at 98MPH (157KPH) is because I don't believe I will maintain that speed long enough to activate it under a thousand feet. But 78 MPH (125 KPH) for the required distance really does not seem unlikely for me to do.

Are you speaking of vertical speed, or overall speed... because the cypress will only record the vertical one...

I am speaking of both actually but I am aware that what matters is vertical. Still if the dive is steep enough they come close to equal. Just think a 72 degree bank will maintais s95% of total your speed vertically. I am sure I can bank and maintain Steeper than that.

Being a single mother of two boys, I won't jump without my cypres. If for some reason I time it wrong and send the cypres in for a check, I'm grounded. After the boys lost their father in a skydiving related accident, I don't think it would look good if I went in and didn't have a cypres in my rig and turned on.
BTW, I have never (knock on wood) forgotten to turn my cypres on. It's just part of the pre-check I do on my gear when I take my rig out of it's bag the start of a jump day.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey