xlh883

Frustrated...Anyone else have this problem?

I seem to be relaxed until we hit around 200 feet and then my nerves act up. I can get out on the wing and hang jsut fine now after the first disaster of slipping off of the strut. The pilot from that jump was surprised I came back Saturday. That kind of made me feel good. She said most people quit after that happens to them.

I do love this sport and am having fun with it. I will keep goign back as long as I have the financial means to do so. I jsut don't want this to become a money pit.

David

Soon enough you will realize that all the money spent on skydiving is worth it, and that money isn't good for much unless your spending it :D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

No need to apologize -- the winkie ;) shows that, but you only realize that if you're familiar with dropzone.com. Anyway, my mother always told me to write individual thank-you notes :D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can tell you a story about a guy who did 38 (or something very seriously like that) static lines before he finally somehow "got it". He stuck it out, has well over 1,000 jumps now, and is a well respected SKYDIVER still now, around these parts.

Stick with it & don't quit.

I hope you find whatever it is with you, that helps make everything else just fall into place!
Best of wishes and BLUE SKIES,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Take your time...on my 1st practice pull i missed and ended up tossing the paper (I started doing IAD's) under canopy:$...The thing is that your still doing it....enjoy every jump, you will get it soon I'm sure and the extra jumps u are makeing will only help your nervousness(new word B|) and the extra canopy time never hurts...personally i love the canopy rides :)

I don't like giving advice cuz I'm still a big newbie. But I have to tell you.

I SUCKED AT STATIC LINE YEARS AGO. I QUIT IN FACT.

AFF rocks. More time to relax a bit before pull time, your instructors will help put you "in the groove" and get the hang of flying on your first dive...

So, don't take my word for it, cuz I don't know shit. But I'll tell you this. I blew static line. I'm going for level IV AFF this Friday and so far I've made each level on the first try. This is not a boast for me, it's a boast for the program.

I'll probably get in big shit from the vet's for saying this, but I think static line is a program who's time is done....

IN closing though the vets will also probably tell you I don't know shit, and there, they would be right!!!!
:)
Rock on

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Totally agree with you Aggie...Just relax when you're arching think you have a nice naked blonde in front you and a big black dude naked behind you, or vice versa what ever works for you, anyway just relax,, free your mind,, everybody falls the first time neo.:)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I'll probably get in big shit from the vet's for saying this, but I think static line is a program who's time is done.... ***
----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a vet and my wife also successfully went with AFF after having problems with static line, but what do you base this sweeping statement on. Your personal experience only? I say don't get wrapped up in right/wrong regarding training methods. They all have good/not so good aspects. IMO each student is different and should utilize the training method that works for them.

Hey David,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think your PRCP's are what we call 'dummy pulls' in the UK... (If I'm wrong ignore the rest of this ;)) If I'm right, don't get frustrated! Most students find this the hardest part of S/L progression until one day it just clicks... keep enjoying yourself and you'll make it.

Will

Exactumundo, I agree. You are correct. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love static line (can anyone ring in here?) and was very good at it.

That's why I put all the disclaimers in. I hated it, I'm not a freaking wing walker (yet, maybe soon though!) and I hated every aspect of it. I sucked at the hop n pop. I hopped, freaked, blew the arch (hell, never had one in the first place) and screwed the whole thing up.

However, you are correct, each program has it's strengths, I just think AFF is way better...

I'm just a snot nosed wannabe still though :-)

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Static line worked fine for me. Made it off in 5 jumps. First clearnpull off S/L was tough, but made it through just fine. Second one went darn perfect. Enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to 5 second delay, but I think hop n pops would be just plain fun anyways in the future, especially on low ceiling days when that's all you can do.

Given that I'm scared of heights and don't like falling, the S/L fit me well because it gives me a lot of time and a slower progression to deal with that and keep my wits. Climbing out on that wing is a more deliberate and extreme fight against my brain telling me this is dumb. So it's good to only have to fight that and not have to worry too much about stability, pulling, and other things early on in the progression.

Sure with AFF you get to do more faster, but in all the rush to get turns, flips, all that stuff done, I don't think I would have been able to have time to relax like S/L gave me. Now that I'm off S/L and (somewhat) in control of my head, I can now move on to freefall manuevers and not worry about exits and relaxing.
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

>I'll probably get in big shit from the vet's for saying this, but I
>hink static line is a program who's time is done....

And I know new jumpers who think the AFF program skips over too many things, is overpriced, and is too hard. To each their own.

>I'll probably get in big shit from the vet's for saying this, but I
>hink static line is a program who's time is done....

>And I know new jumpers who think the AFF program skips over too many things, is overpriced, and is too hard. To each their own.

Yeah, good point exactly. You are correct, to each his own. It's real easy to solve the worlds problems, now If I could only solve min :-)
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Just finishing my AFF training myself. Pretty hard to get things right on these early jumps because your mind is still adjusting and its a bit much to get your body to do what you want.

I say to myself Arch-Reach-Lookup-Pull as I do it. On the ground I say this sequence over and over during the week. Ive said this to myself thousands of times - its how I train. I also spent some time in a swimming pool, because of the weightless feeling. The other thing I do is say my 4 words out loud.

hay there join the club it took me 16 SL jumps and numerus hints to take up golf (tug is in my log book!).

best bet save up then do as many jumps as possible in on week or weekend, what you are looking for is continuity. one or two jumps a weekend and you are relearning for the first jump.

give yourself a bbreak of a few weekends but dont drink the cash save it then one weekend set yourself 7 jumps i guarentie you can do it, welcome to the sport and blue skies.
blue sky sand and sun.

Hi Dave,

They offer AFF at Kapowsin, but that's in the other direction (at least for me)... I'm having some trouble with my 45 sec freefall. Better to get it nailed down now than later. Be glad they aren't passing you before you're ready. You'll get it eventually, just as I know I will. (I understand the frustration, but like someone else said, it's still FUN!)

:)