julius

Just Carry Your Rig Onboard

It's NOT illegal, it will NEVER be out of your sight or control, and it WON'T get lost.

Carry documentation with you; Parachutist, USPA card, articles about misshandled rigs, event flyers, invites, etc.

If you are questioned, be polite and don't lie. Look the TSA inspector in the eye and don't act nervous (after all, you'll have a rig onboard and no one else will);)

If you are denied, ask for a supervisor. Oh, and get to the airport early, about 2 hours before your flight.

It's NOT illegal,

You're right, I know that and you know that, and even a lot of the gate security folks know that. However, some don't. I don't know how much experience you have traveling, but the terminal security staff and the gate agent really do have the final say. If they think it's illegal, it is. It's really that simple.

If you are questioned, be polite and don't lie. Look the TSA inspector in the eye and don't act nervous (after all, you'll have a rig onboard and no one else will)

This is the best advice, be polite and don't lie. That'll get you far, it really will.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

This is absolutely correct. I have flow DOZENS of times with my rig and I have never had an issue with security. I've had the suitcase opened a few times for random checks and only once or twice because they wanted to see what was inside. Once it was the closing pin that caught their attention.

Yeah, yeah- someone is going to post about 'that one time at xxxxxx airport.' How many of these have been posted in the last two years? 4, 5, maybe 10 tops? Just put it on the belt, walk through, and pick it up on the other side.

Bag it, carry on the ensemble and remain polite. You will have little to fear, assuming you observe these simple three suggestions, though travel is never without some degree of risk. (yes, i've read the recent Parachutist complaint in regards to the recent and notorious TSA incident)

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

the terminal security staff and the gate agent really do have the final say.

The pilot actually has the final say as to whether or not your rig goes on board, but in light of these times where people are a little trigger happy, it definately won't be worth the battle taking it that far.

I just carried mine on for the pre second time at Denver. X-ray tech didn't even slow the belt down as the bag with my rig went through (it has a cypress). Of course it could have just been luck of the draw, but I was very happy that no questions or wierd looks were given. B|
Now I hope the return trip goes as smooth. :S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

I have always CHECKED mine! I knopw its a gamble but a J4 ajvelin isnt exactly small.

I think I will squeeze it into a carry on this time! b/c I would loose my fukn mind if I found my gear all cut up![:/]
My photos

My Videos

"I would loose my fukn mind if I found my gear all cut up!"
You could lose your life if you didn't find out about it.:|
From the sound of the other report all the prodding and poking around was done with the container still closed!>:(
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I have always CHECKED mine! I knopw its a gamble but a J4 ajvelin isnt exactly small.

I think I will squeeze it into a carry on this time! b/c I would loose my fukn mind if I found my gear all cut up![:/]

Posting this again in case you missed it:

According to the TSA, FAA, and Homeland Security websites and guidebooks that they allow the public to view, no one is allowed to inspect your baggage without you being present in the event that you ask to be present. Many airports will not allow you to be present unless you ask. Many aren't set up with areas that you can watch the process. Asking to be present at airports that don't provide areas for you to be present, simply tells the TSA, "Hey, this person wants to be trouble." Tough. Be there.

What I did with my large rig is cutaway the main and put it in a separate carry on piece. I think most airlines allow two carry on pieces, and it was the only way I could carry my rig since it weighs 23-24 pounds.

Very good idea... I woulda never thunk about that. THANKS!!!!;) that takes care of that worry.

I know they usually allow the carry plus a smaller bag etc.! that should do the trick
My photos

My Videos

My hugenormous Vector3M (size V358M) fits in my carry-on/rollaboard pretty well, that's how I'm getting it to WFFC. Not much else fits in there though.... So I get to carry my rig and check all my clothes! :|
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I have a soft bag that I carry on my rig with all the time. It's a infinity. I put my helmet in with the checked bags and the only other thing in my gear bag is my log book with uspa card & cypress card, wrist alt, chest alt, and backup head gear.

I have flown on Alaska, Northwest, American, United, Southwest and never had a problem. I have even been selected as the person for extra security. I just remove my log book and have all my documentation ready.

Most airport personal will have questions but most just ask to see my cards and I am good to go. Be polite, this is not the time to cute with your answers. Save it for the beer tent and fire pit.

I took seven flights in a recent three month period across america and have made at least a further dozen international flights in the last 12 -18 months. Initially I carried my rig in a big cabin bag but had a couple of discussions with the airport staff because the bag was large compared to some of the overhead locker space. For the last 8 or 9 flights I have carried my rig onto the plane like a back-pack without a single query apart from the occasional "that's a fantastic backpack man - how much did it cost ???" - the TSA guy was surprised at my reply !!!

I have witnessed my checked bags being thrown around by several porters during these flights and have been much happier to have my rig in my hand where I can see it's looked after - that way it looks after me !!!

James