beowulf

AFF in a weekend

One of the new guys from corporate office is here this week from upstate New York. He heard from someone that I skydive so he came around asking questions. The first question he asked was if he could get through the training in a weekend? I told him it was possible but very diffucult. Has anyone actually done it in one weekend? By the way he was very serious. But I never count them till they actually make that first jump. Seen too many people that back out at the last second or just never really commit.

I don't think anyone could get qualified for their A license in a weekend. What has been the quickest that anyone has finished AFF? It took me awhile to get my AFF finished. A big part was the weather. I had the money saved up and could have paid the entire amount up front. I did my AFF on a small dropzone and they didn't have any coaching that I knew about. So the extent of training was AFF and some helpful pointers by the experienced jumpers.

I don't think anyone could get qualified for their A license in a weekend. What has been the quickest that anyone has finished AFF? It took me awhile to get my AFF finished. A big part was the weather. I had the money saved up and could have paid the entire amount up front. I did my AFF on a small dropzone and they didn't have any coaching that I knew about. So the extent of training was AFF and some helpful pointers by the experienced jumpers.

well, I was standing in the boarding area at CK's and Krause announced this was a dude's graduation jump and he had done them all that day. So it is possible, likely, no, possible, I suppose, but a longer progression is better IMO because the more you are around skydiving the more you learn just by watching.

I can't imagine taking in all that at once and getting that many jumps in all the first weekend.

My 2 jumps wore me out a bit.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

One of the new guys from corporate office is here this week from upstate New York. He heard from someone that I skydive so he came around asking questions. The first question he asked was if he could get through the training in a weekend? I told him it was possible but very diffucult. Has anyone actually done it in one weekend? By the way he was very serious. But I never count them till they actually make that first jump. Seen too many people that back out at the last second or just never really commit.

I taugh a class on Friday night and the student completed his AFF (no repeats) on Sunday. I like to see them go a little slower so that they have more time to let things soak in,but we didn't have that option.

never pull low......unless you are

I've had one AFF student finish in a weekend.
He was trained on the friday evening and completed 10 dives in the weekend.

1. He is very fit and very body aware.

2. He's a good student - his goal is to learn - not to show he knows.

3. We'd known each other for a while and had climbed a bunch together - so I knew him under pressure

He's done 500 jumps in less than 2 years (weekends) and he does camera on some of my AFF and Tandem. I've mentored him, and the rewards for me have been amazing with him coaching me in freeflying and birdman. He runs most stuff by me - maybe cos I'm the CI, but also cos what we have is working for both of us.

I've had others come close - but it's certainly not what I'd want to do - and that was not our goal when we started AFF. He had the resourses, I had the time, and we went when I thought he was ready.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

hey that's me... thanks t :$. After 550 jumps i can see how many factors had to be just right to pull that off and not lose a whole bunch of valuable stuff in the process. if anyone is interested ...
This happened 11 aug 2001 and
1. i had done aprox 10 statics between 91 and 95
2. i have aprox 120 (logged)hrs on light and microlight aircraft and have been flying casually since 16
3. better than average body awareness due to 12 yrs intensive martial arts training( including tai-chi: focus, move slow, smooth , and regulate it all with breath)and meditation.
4. an honest passion to do this thing right.
5. a good weather weekend with ample time for briefings between jumps(tricky at a busy dz)
6. last and certainly not least an instructor and friend i could (and still can) connect with admire, respect and trust.
The dz time i picked up later and now i can see the potential shortcomings of such a 'fast approach';)
thanx t.