Blahr

Talk about different

Wow!

I've been out of the game for 8 years and will be returning as soon as my new gear arrives.

I did all my training and jumping at a small DZ in
Hazelton PA and never even visited any other DZ
before.

Today, just to whet my apetite I went over to Crosskeys
to check it out.
Man, I just wansnt prepared for what I saw.
Music blaring, people everywhere, an Otter and a Skyvan doing back to back loads non stop, and the canopies in the air a couple dozen at a time.

It was VERY cool but frankly, I was also a little bit intimidated. I wouldnt have the first idea who to talk to to get an idea of how anything works there.

All I've ever seen is a handfull of jumpers at a shot and 2 Cessnas and the whole thing run out of a Winnebego (I hear its a little different now)
All low key, low pressure, low chaos.

This was a skydiving culture shock for me.

How does one in my rusty condition get started at a DZ like that?
Actually, to start with I intend to jump at my old DZ till I get my "sky legs" back, but I DO want to get in the action at places like this too.
I REALLY wanna jump the Otter and Skyvan. I want to get to 13.5 (they dont go that high where I jumped)

How DO you break into a place like that when you dont know a soul there?

I'm still new to skydiving so everything was intimidating at first but i've found that skydivers in general are some of the most friendly and helpful people ive ever met. Every single person ive talked to has seemed like they really want to help me.

I think you should just go and jump. Ive seen the way the experienced regulars at my DZ treat new faces and they are made to feel very welcome (if they land on the taxi way they still have to buy the beers though!!)

EDIT: Also, at my DZ alot of the students go to uni together so already know each other. When I went I went by myself not knowing anyone, but they made me welcome and it all good!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

It was VERY cool but frankly, I was also a little bit intimidated. I wouldnt have the first idea who to talk to to get an idea of how anything works there.

Hey Chris, I thingk you've already done 'step 1' by posting this. I'm visiting California as I post this and I've had asimilar culture shock going from a 6 month/year Cessna DZ to a year round Kingair/206 DZ. I can't imagine how big a 'twin twatters' must feel.

Doa 'skydiver search' from the main page using Crosskeys as your criteria - see if you recognize any of the screen names. post something generally with 'crosskeys' in the headerand state your position and goals ... those who are interested in welcoming you in will only be your 'first' contacts. If my experience is anything like what you'll have, soon the only "problem" you'll have is time and money to do all the cool things skydivers do these days:)B|B|

Enjoy, good luck, and Blue SKies

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Do you want to go to 13K in that big plane on your first jump back? Then do it!

Don't be intimidated, you have your A license. They might make you do a recurrency jump with a coach, this would be an excellent way to get your "legs" back. After that, just make sure you talk to the load organizers so that you get in a proper position in the exit order for what you do on each jump.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Try going to Cross Keys during the week when it's not as busy. I try to do that for training. It's not as intimidating and you'll have a chance to talk with the staff and other jumpers. The people there will make you feel welcome. :)

Hi!

I did my first two (tandem) jumps at Crosskeys
a couple of years ago during the Americas Cup
competition, and it was so busy I thought the place
was nuts! WHat you saw was a little calmer than all
of that...

It's very easy to get to know the people there,
even for a total flake like me, so you should have
no problems.

I've made arrangements with my boss to be sick
this week, probably Wednesday, so I can go over
and get a re-currency jump in. It makes it a bit
easier on the staff to do those types of jumps
during the week as opposed to the weekends, for
what may be obvious reasons, but if the weekend
is the only time good for you you might want to
give them a call first to see what's up.

Send mail and let me know when you're going.

Cross keys makes every other DZ within hundreds of miles look tiny. I'd say go there, put allll your money in an account, get on a load, and jump! If you have any questions, ask manifest. I've been there a couple times and found that it's really not all that different from a smaller DZ except that there's a lot less waiting for loads.

If you're too intimidated by the big planes and the landing area surrounded by woods (though pretty big), maybe you should make a few jumps at a smaller DZ first then go have fun at cross keys when you're more comfortable. But I don't think thats necessary.

Dave

If you're too intimidated by the big planes and the landing area surrounded by woods (though pretty big), maybe you should make a few jumps at a smaller DZ first then go have fun at cross keys when you're more comfortable. But I don't think thats necessary.

Dave

Actually the planes dont bother me at all. Quite the contrary. They are far more appealing to me than the Cessnas and the landing area is HUGE compared to what I'm used to and there are woods surrounding that landing area too.

Its the sheer volume of people in the air at once that makes me nervous mostly. I've never been in the air with more than 3 or 4 other canopies at one time.

Wow!

I've been out of the game for 8 years and will be returning as soon as my new gear arrives.

You want to talk about different? Try this woman's perspective:

Kim Emmons started jumping in 1959.

In 1962 she was on the 1962 US Parachute Team.
[url]http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/bios/emmonsk.html

She quit jumping in 1966. At that time, parachutes were all
round, and the only competitive events were Style & Accuracy.

Two weeks ago she started jumping again, and has since accumulated over 20 jumps.
http://www.pia.com/lownumbers/images/Kim%20Emmons%20Knor.jpg

She was at Mile Hi in CO this weekend, polishing her RW skills.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Its the sheer volume of people in the air at once that makes me nervous mostly. I've never been in the air with more than 3 or 4 other canopies at one time.

I know exactly how you felt, man. I made about 70 jumps all at a 1 C-182 DZ, and so there was only 3 other jumpers in the air with me, and we all knew what size canopies and wingloadings we had, so we all knew who was going to land first, etc.

Then I went to a couple DZs with full twin otter loads, about 20-25 people, and I was nervous as hell that we would all be flying our canopies 20 feet away from each other, and colliding every 5 seconds. :o

But landing at a large DZ is actually very easy. Usually, they set a landing pattern, ex: right-hand, and everybody lands that one way. The swoopers generally get down before you, and they have a designated swooping area. Also, when everybodies canopies start opening, usually jump run is so long that you never even get close to someone else under canopy.

All you gotta do is listen to the landing instructions very carefully, make sure that you understand them, even if it means getting 10 different people to explain them, and once your canopy opens, quickly check around you and prepare to make a quick rear riser turn to avoid other canopies. Its much easier then I thought it would be before I jumped at a large DZ. B|

MB 3528, RB 1182